Innovative Marine Aquariums

Tanked!

wartskin

I really don't think they will be skating on it that much, it's a show piece. If they do it's 2" thick that is literally bullet proof. Meaning I don't see a lot of vibration going into the tank.

They delivered a tank in a shape of a skate ramp. How is that any different that purchasing a tank at wal*mart and your kid tapping on the glass constantly? Or any n00bs here putting a tang in a small aquarium. At some point it's up to the end user, the owner to take the responsibility of how that tank is used and the care of the animals.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think many people will still be discouraged to set up a tank, because the show shows how complex the process really is. They show the filters and the thought that goes into building an aquarium. The show wants to convey the idea that professionals, not amateurs build fish tanks.

Obviously, some people will still set up tanks, but I think much less than if they watched Finding Nemo. Pixar showed fish tanks as easy to care of. They convey ideas likeThrow in a cleaner shrimp that isn't banned from cleaning and you'll have a healthy tank. Or just pop in a Aquascum 3000 and all your algae will go away!

hmmm....should i watch the new tanked tonight, or the new spongebobs??? hmmm.....

They have new Spongbob episodes? And nobody watches that past age 12... <_<

Obviously, some people will still set up tanks, but I think much less than if they watched Finding Nemo. Pixar showed fish tanks as easy to care of. They convey ideas likeThrow in a cleaner shrimp that isn't banned from cleaning and you'll have a healthy tank. Or just pop in a Aquascum 3000 and all your algae will go away!

If it weren't for finding nemo, I probably wouldn't have gotten into reef tanks. ILY nemo. :happy:

If I brought a tank home that had "Hey kid, tap on me." written on the front panel, I could safely assume it would get tapped on constantly . Yes.

If I had a tank custom made in the shape of a skate ramp, you as the builder could safely assume I planned on slamming rad skateboard moves on it constantly.

I turn down business from n00bs trying to buy baby regal tangs for 20 gallon tanks several times a week at work. I have a responsibility to ask questions for the well being of the animal.

I turn down business from n00bs trying to buy baby regal tangs for 20 gallon tanks several times a week at work. I have a responsibility to ask questions for the well being of the animal.

We need more LFS people like you. My LFS told my mom that it was okay to put tangs in a 34g and she won't stop nagging me to get one. :lol:

You sir are to be commended!! :bowdown:

I wonder what size tank tangs stay in at the fish stores

hopefully big enough to accommodate them.

Nah. If I had to guess, I would say they're about 40g at my fish store. In other fish stores, I see the tangs for sale in the large coral holding tanks.

My mother brought me a blue tang when I had my first tank set up. It was a 20 gallon. The LFS said it was fine because it was a baby. I took it back and told them to take it back. Eventually they did and gave me store credit. But everything they had there sucked anyways. so I talked them into letting me buy some filter floss and food.

it's a real shame that some of the hobbiest on this fourm, can not relax for one hour an see this for what it is entertainment, being provided with amusement or enjoyment.

I here peta is in need of people !!!!

I have seen fish live right next to a boat ramp and never even flinch at the sound of a motor. so I think the skateboard ramp isn't a big deal. the fish can easily adapt to sound. Though i do think it will get scratched.

Cowboy forget to tell the ladies "ponytail it" that would have made good tv lol iam watching now this show has me cracking up. :lol:

Did someone say mimic? Back on

seahorsedreams

How can ya get all ticked off about the fish treatment in this show, but don't say peep against the treatment of fish on Deadliest Catch. I guarantee you, the fish are enjoying their life on Tanked more than they are on Deadliest Catch. Go picket at the docks.

HecticDialectics
How can ya get all ticked off about the fish treatment in this show, but don't say peep against the treatment of fish on Deadliest Catch. I guarantee you, the fish are enjoying their life on Tanked more than they are on Deadliest Catch. Go picket at the docks.

:lol:

Crabs is food. I don't honestly think the skate tank is that big a deal either. I was goofing. However, I do think that antagonizing a puffer to make it "puff" and pulling a tang out of the water to hold it up and show how big it is, is cruel and irresponsible. I work at a saltwater fish store. There are already soooo many people asking me "why can't I do that?" "They do it on that tv show!" I am tired of explaining that those dudes aren't hobbyist, they are tank builders that have to make television interesting. They don't have to deal with the customers after the tank is done. If it does not leak and it looks for the most part like what the client wants, then their job is done.

I can only imagine the murmured comments the maintenance dudes say to themselves while trying to clean some of those funky angles and corners lol. They are comparable to someone who builds cool custom cars, but has no idea how to drive one themselves. Like if Chip Foose didn't own a license to drive, and occasionally abused his dog during mock up.

Edit: This analogy actually doesn't really make sense but you get what I mean. You expect that someone who builds something extreme and custom would know a lot about the inner workings of said creation.

Glad we got to talk in person, guy is a mad business man and is going to milk/work this as hard as he can. They created the show but do not do the production.

I watch the show and enjoy seeing the amazing things they do and the fish but ultimately to me...StevieT said it right there in that quote. It all boils down to MONEY. Hardcore business people only see green in their life and that green ain't algae. Anyone catch that slam he made on people making 8, 10, 12 dollars an hour in that interview. He didn't have to bring people's wages into it but thats arrogance and his way of saying "I'm rich...I do what I want". If you like the show for what the show is then watch it as I do...but don't be surprised when you find out that the people who do the show ain't what you thought they were. This is exactly why great customer service is so hard to find anymore...getting your money means everything to them...after that unfortunately, your satisfaction usually means little.

I'm gonna put my two cents in about this show since I wasn't here to read every single post. I always was taught to let a tank cycle before doing anything. Where do they get the rights to plop everything in at the same time? On top of it, I think they're overstocking their aquariums to boot. So, I just watched the episode off the DVR from last week...OMFG, how could they put corals in a tank that wasn't somewhat established for a couple months?

So, my initial question is: is this freakin safe for the livestock involved? I tried to send an email to Wade, but got nothing back yet. Hmm...they'd jump on the occasion and reply if I was offering to buy a custom tank...lol. I see from their previous tanks they show that the fish are still alive (or perhaps the owners had to restock after a while?).

I'd love to know what's going on with this! It freaks me out every time I see them dump livestock in a tank they just added water to that day:P Makes my spine shudder!

You should read some of this thread.

The show is for TV, the producers are not showing reality. They do not set up a tank in one day.

Are you suggesting that they cycle their tanks?

Archived