inTank Media Baskets

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Localized population reductions do not trigger that requirement. :lol:

I suppose Bangaii cardinals aren't considered threatened anymore because they're taking over Diadema then, right? Localized endangerment would have been a better term on my part I suppose. I'd be willing to continue through pm but I think this is getting a little OT :huh:

HecticDialectics
I suppose Bangaii cardinals aren't considered threatened anymore because they're taking over Diadema then, right? Localized endangerment would have been a better term on my part I suppose. I'd be willing to continue through pm but I think this is getting a little OT :huh:

Nah I don't think it's off-topic at all. We're talking about the effects of the media, including Tanked, on fish populations. You claimed that Finding Nemo made clownfish endangered as an example. So far you've just proved to be wrong. :lol:

Tanked, which must have what, 100 times less market share than Finding Nemo... I'm not sure how big of an effect it will have...

Nah I don't think it's off-topic at all. We're talking about the effects of the media, including Tanked, on fish populations. You claimed that Finding Nemo made clownfish endangered as an example. So far you've just proved to be wrong. :lol:

As far as I'm aware, a marine biologist would know way more about localized endangerment than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist (myself included) would. You haven't necessarily disproven that by providing a population check. Please PM me if you would like to continue as I will not respond to any future posts. This topic is about Tanked - nothing else. I would doubt people would appreciate sifting through this topic to find 1-2 pages about Finding Nemo and its effects on clownfish.

HecticDialectics
As far as I'm aware, a marine biologist would know way more about localized endangerment than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist (myself included) would.

Would that be similar to how the world's largest and most successful tank manufacturer would know more than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist such as yourself? :lol: :lol:

Would that be similar to how the world's largest and most successful tank manufacturer would know more than a run-of-the-mill hobbyist such as yourself? :lol: :lol:

Building plastic containers=/=fishkeeping. I'm done posting on *this* thread, but, again, feel free to PM me.

P.S.- Please give me a link to where they prove they're the most successful tank manufacturers, because, as far as I'm aware, that would be AGA.

P.S.- Please give me a link to where they prove they're the most successful tank manufacturers, because, as far as I'm aware, that would be AGA.

Oceanic FTW!! :D

Apparently I need to spell it out. How about this:

You will need to have liability insurance for your aquarium business. To insulate yourself from lawsuits that could wreck your life you should set up your business as a limited liability corporation or LLC. This can be done in most states for less than $500. Your business will only prosper if you know how to take care of every kind of situation that can arise. If you prescribe the wrong treatment for an aquarium you could easily kill hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of fish. A release form for your business is a necessity as well as insurance.

We are talking about wealthy people here. Do you really think attorneys won't become involved when people spend thousands of dollars for these aquarium installations if they become total failures?

Define "total failure".

If by total failure you mean something along the lines of a tank or plumbing leaking and causing water damage, or wiring shorting and causing a fire, then yes, you betcha attorneys will be involved.

If by total failure you mean something along the lines of all the fish or coral dying, or even a large percentage of them, then no, a place like ATM is not going to be held liable for that. They sell a customer a tank, the LSS, animals, and the installation of said items. Except for the last part, they are not very different in principle from many LFSs. Can you imagine taking Petco to court for your dead fish because they sold you a tank, the filter, and the fish? There is no liability there. You, or a maintenance company in the case of large or public exhibits, assume full responsibility for the fish or coral as soon as you purchase it.

Its called not getting what you payed for. As a business owner I can tell you that "word of mouth" can either make or break you.

As a tank maintenance business owner and public aquarist I can tell you that there are plenty of successful tank builders like ATM that set up crap and then walk out the door...best of luck with all that. It's irrelevant that most of the fish are dead and the tank is selling on eBay a year later. This is the reality of the situation, despite all the guessing and speculation made on internet forums to the contrary.

In short, making an appeal to their authority by claiming they must know what they're doing because they're financially successful is really a hollow argument. Petco is very successful at selling tanks, filters, and fish; does this indicate they must be good at creating successful reef and fish tanks too?

Would that be similar to how the world's largest and most successful tank manufacturer

Dude, pass me what you're smoking. :lol:

They aren't even close to the largest in the US. Just because they said it on their infomercial doesn't mean it's true.

You know those big tanks you see in Youtube videos with whale sharks and manta rays and great hammerheads in them? These are the folks that built them.

http://www.icm-corp.com/portfolio.cfm

http://www.nippura.com/cgi-local/en/re_list.cgi?3

http://www.reynoldspolymer.com/Commercial

Define "total failure".

/ˈtōtl 'fālyər/

1. Tanked

2. The World According to Paris

Tanked is a total failure because they mess up newbies in the hobby.

To be fair, I don't think ATM are bad people or incompetent or anything like that. Some of the criticisms are a bit silly--it's perfectly fine to use tap water, a garden hose, and mix up the salt right in the tank. Careful editing can make it appear that they are doing things way too fast when in reality they waited a few days or weeks for the tank to cycle. This is reality TV, after all.

What irks me about ATM is the way the tanks are irresponsibly stocked and built for the livestock. Did anyone catch the show with the gumball tank? Where do the fish hide? Those are going to be some seriously stressed fish that will not live long in that space. How about the show with the mimic octopus in the crushed coral/plastic rock tank? These guys are exclusively found in mucky habitats with silty mud that they can bury themselves, not coral reefs. That tank was pretty much the opposite of how you would want to set up a tank for a mimic octopus, which are already incredibly delicate animals to begin with. How about the episode with the feng shui reef stocked with a huge colony of Swiftia, a non photosynthetic gorgonian? It will not live long, and they know it. The examples go on and on...the sad part is there are lots and lots of build and service companies that do exactly the same and worse. I can't fault ATM any more for that than I do the others.

The folks who really screwed up here are the producers at Animal Planet. You'd think a network called **Animal** Planet probably could have found some guys with interesting personalities (that's what the show is really all about, not the fish) who are actually doing the animal part a bit more conscientiously. In the end I am not disappointed with the ATMs of the world as much as I am with those who are glorifying them.

you people talk alot and use big words

i still like the show

Your vocabulary is strictly limited to small words and you type barely any words in an punctuation failure of a sentence.

fine, maybe i'll start using more refined sentences in my posts, if that would please you. then again, why would i try to make you happy? :P

der derp-de derp

Archived