Top Shelf Aquatics

Tanked!

wartskin

Just for the record, the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco uses additives to cycle the tank faster. That means they probably put the fish in corals in sooner than they would with a regular cycle.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just for the record, the Steinhart Aquarium in San Francisco uses additives to cycle the tank faster. That means they probably put the fish in corals in sooner than they would with a regular cycle.

Everything by Microb-Lift was originally made for public aquariums and then they went into private aquariums after such great success.

Tank failures lead to the entire business failing and in this economy the company wouldn't last long.

Not exactly. They build the tanks, not maintain them. Generally companies like ATM have a contract to build the tank and LSS, fill it with water, and stick some animals in it. After that, the owners are on their own and the check is in the bank. The maintenance companies are the ones getting screwed over by their irresponsible stocking decisions when everything dies after a few months.

Huh? Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I work at the Steinhart, and I've never used any additive to cycle a tank. Generally we use mature live rock from older systems whenever we set up a new coral or fish tank.

I turn down business from n00bs trying to buy baby regal tangs for 20 gallon tanks several times a week at work. I have a responsibility to ask questions for the well being of the animal.

+1

Not exactly. They build the tanks, not maintain them. Generally companies like ATM have a contract to build the tank and LSS, fill it with water, and stick some animals in it. After that, the owners are on their own and the check is in the bank. The maintenance companies are the ones getting screwed over by their irresponsible stocking decisions when everything dies after a few months.

Huh? Out of curiosity, where did you hear this? I work at the Steinhart, and I've never used any additive to cycle a tank. Generally we use mature live rock from older systems whenever we set up a new coral or fish tank.

+1

I frequent this place every month on a certain Wednesday ;) and some nights, and talk to the guys there and have never heard such thing.

Wombat, I'm going this Wednesday will you be there? I got a question about donating a fish.

+1

I frequent this place every month on a certain Wednesday ;) and some nights, and talk to the guys there and have never heard such thing.

Wombat, I'm going this Wednesday will you be there? I got a question about donating a fish.

Would that be the third Wednesday? ;)

Yup, shoot me a PM if you want to meet up.

I read that y'all use bacteria to cycle your tanks, though don't rely on it solely. From the flow of the conversation, I assumed the person who said they used bacteria worked at the Steinhart. Since you work there, you probably know more than I do. I may have misread.

Now do we need to go on to explain about the 'skateboard ramp' fish tank.. how is that responsible fish keeping?

We all know 'don't tap on the glass' it will bother your fish.. what about smashing a skateboard up against it countless times.. I understand it is for looks.. But at what point does ATM say 'ok we just not going to do that its morally wrong?'.. I mean hell, we should setup a jack hammer outside the windows in their office. Every day just randomly start using them...

they don't care..

As it was stated earlier he is a mad businessman.. of course hes now going to have 'ATM' brand things flying off the shelves in petco & petsmart because that is the nature of the industry.

What! A Freaking skateboard ramp Tank. That's ridiculous!

I stopped watching Tanked because i don't want to support these guys

PS... i saw a guy at petco buying a new tank, salt, blue and red pebble rocks heater and a clownfish!

I guess you just mix up the water and add fish 10 seconds later. I wonder where he learned that!

What! A Freaking skateboard ramp Tank. That's ridiculous!

I stopped watching Tanked because i don't want to support these guys

How did you know what kind of tank they built if you stopped watching them?

The money won't be in the bank for long when the attorneys get involved.

How did you know what kind of tank they built if you stopped watching them?

I read it on this thread. you know, that post that's right above mine. The one talking about them building a skateboard ramp tank

HecticDialectics
PS... i saw a guy at petco buying a new tank, salt, blue and red pebble rocks heater and a clownfish!

I guess you just mix up the water and add fish 10 seconds later. I wonder where he learned that!

Stupid Tanked. Before that show everyone knew how to "properly set up" a saltwater tank! /sarcasm

Just like any other reality or semi-informative show on TV, take it all with a grain of salt.

Saying that Tanked is going to make people run out and buy tanks and kill fish is ridiculous. It's like saying Iron Chef makes people go out and hack their fingers off while trying to chop a pound of vegetables in 5 seconds. Let's face it - in both cases, people who actually WOULD go do that would probably do it regardless of whether these shows were on TV or not.

Let's just enjoy the show for what it's worth. Besides, I'm sure that when it comes down to it, they care more about the health of their fish a whole lot more than they care about people on forums who criticize a business formula that obviously works.

Archived