inTank Media Baskets

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alex0725, I was once asked by a lady in line at a grocery store if I had a newborn because of the amount of distilled water I had in my cart (This was during the hurricane Irene thing we had in NYC). Instead of explaining, I just said "Yes".

edit:

Another thing that kills me is when I see them fill their tanks with Tap Water.

I also noticed that the scallop they had in that reef tank was looking a bit unhappy.

Just a thought but I don't think the show was meant to be educational in the first place except for the mid show questions and the occasional tid bit of info from the guys. We "reefers" understand all the workings of an aquarium and so forth and so on but when you think of it as a TV show, I doubt the first thing the producer wants to do is place emphasis on the cycle or show each step of aquarium setup. I'm sure he'd rather show the guys playing pranks on one anther (hot sauce...lol).

I'm taking a shot in the dark but imo I would think that the (TV producer, Animal planet, etc...) would rather show pranks, big exotic fish, fumbles of large arylic tanks, possible tank disasters rather than show the audience the definition of nitrates, nitrates, ammonia cycles, fish compatibility charts, phos reactors or even the crazy evolution of leds. Even though I'd watch that too ... (I'm an aquarium nerd..lol).

For instance I watch Sons of Guns. I have yet to see them show the calculations of the velocity of a bullet as it is expelled from the chamber. Or the Complex design of calibrating/measuring the lengths and diameter of the barrel, chamber, bullets etc. I'll admit it, I'm interested in the part when the gun is built and things go boom or shooting down models airplanes with automatic weapons. Not that I wouldn't want to watch the mathmatics of the build but I highly doubt the viewing audience wants to see that. I was a math tutor for a few years and believe me when I was discussing simple algebra problems.....no one was excited or when I said ready for the next chapter ?

The show does not show the step by step process, so I'm not going to assume all the fish did or did not die or they did that wrong or right (even though somethings I may or may not like how they set up some of their tanks.) I'm going to take it as a TV show because isn't that what it is? A tv show? Anyway I'm not going to judge a books by its cover especially when I don't know all the details. Just food for thought.

By personal experience i dont really like their livestock supplier either lol....

Working at a store, on a weekly basis id get atleast 20% DOA on some small orders.

Just noticed that in this rerun, while feeding the anglers, theres a dead 6line sitting in the bottom on the angler tank lol. Kinda reminded me of how id order 6 of em and only 3-4 would be alive out of the box.

SaltyFlip - I have a 75g FOWLR and a 24g nano reef and get the same questions and weird looks when I go the store to refill my bottled water jugs. One of these days I'm going to break down and install the RODI filter at home!

I saw the show for the first time tonight, two episodes. I got really excited when I saw commercials for it previously. I thought of n-r while watching it.

I found myself having a lot of "why are they doing that!" moments. Definitely disappointed in how they seemed to be setting up aquariums in a single day (not the building part, but filling and stocking). I don't understand how they can even do that, don't their clients call them up later to complain that their fish died?

I saw the episode where they were building a beer keg tank for a man cave. Just personal preference, but I thought it was really dumb to put a fake reef structure in the center of a fresh water tank.

edit: Oh! And that woman at the law office who didn't like the pillars! Geez! I would hate to have been there for that. She seemed so judgmental and disapproving when they were still installing. I wonder if she was like that because she thought the guys had decided to build the stuff and hike up the total cost without consulting the client. But they said they were going to "eat the cost", didn't they? Eh.

For instance I watch Sons of Guns. I have yet to see them show the calculations of the velocity of a bullet as it is expelled from the chamber. Or the Complex design of calibrating/measuring the lengths and diameter of the barrel, chamber, bullets etc.

They don't need to anymore than Mythbuster's to tell you how to make explosives and such. It's illegal to do so on your own without a license and could even get into trouble for telling you some of those things. Both shows tell you this. Do you really want Mythbusters telling the average idiot how to make Thermite?

This show is something average people can and will be doing and can lead to disastrous results, even if legal. Knowing this, they could at least spend 10 or 20 seconds telling you to research it before you dive in and kill a bunch of fish, especially if they truly care for the fish as they claim.

HecticDialectics

I like it. The show isn't supposed to teach people how to build a reef aquarium lol It's a reality show about big ass awesome tanks. And in that respect, it succeeds 100%.

Just like big explosives and gun shows, they should put a disclaimer in the beginning that says "These are done by experienced aquarist and should not be done without prior research and consultation.", For the stupid. :haha:

Sons of Guns is a show I'm boycotting as well. As much as I love the concept and the shooting of guns, a show who lets a girl pretend-shoot a desert eagle loses my respect. I don't even know how Discovery picked Red Jacket when barely anyone's heard of them initially, and their ideas are not new and are no different than any other mod shop. /endrant

ThePhilosopher

Please keep in mind that this show was most probably started and produced with a certain viewer profile in mind. Specifically, a viewer who knows little to nothing about starting and maintaining a tank.

The goal of the show seems to be to entertain, not to help people start their own saltwater tank.

I also highly doubt that they're throwing fish into uncycled tanks. Maybe they're seeding the water with bacteria or using water from established tanks, but throwing expensive fish in a tank only to have them die in a couple of weeks or months does not seem like the kind of thing that a person with a strong reputation would want to do.

I like it. The show isn't supposed to teach people how to build a reef aquarium lol It's a reality show about big ass awesome tanks. And in that respect, it succeeds 100%.

+1 ^

These tanks are not cycled in a matter of min. people..... its clever editing as is the commercial one of my LFS has run during this program.....anyone else seeing this band wagon advertisement from their LFS? !GENIUS!

And I agree with ya Xavier613 on the supplier.... I like Quailty Marine personally

Yeah I'm sure there's a lot of editing being done due to time. If they didn't know what they are doing I don't think they would have such a successful business. I believe the show is just to display the tanks and what they do. They are making a lot of money just look at that warehouse, WOW. I find the show entertaining and it will introduce new people to the hobby which means business to local fish stores. I just feel bad for people who think the tank will be set up in a day with fish and corals.

IMO these guys didn't get where they are by mistreating fish and building crappy tanks. However, I am pretty sure that Discovery Networks is to blame for how the show is portrayed. I hope people watching the show don't go to the LFS and start pulling critters out of tanks to look at them. I also hope people don't go to the LFS, buy tanks and fish, then fill them with tap, salt mix, and then dump in the critters. Unfortunately that is what the show makes people think. People will setup aquariums and fail, then get out of the hobby. I foresee a lot of used tanks and equipment coming on Craigslist.

I also think that the tanks that these guys build are AMAZING! Did anyone see the 4 story tank in Scotland they have on the website?

lol at a plastic coral structure in a f/w tank with cichlids.. i also saw the show and thought wtf would you want that in your tank for. ive since stoped careing and watching.

PS their buisness is most likely only doing well due to the tanks the make, not what they put in them.

Well, I watched the show the other night. And I have to say.. its good, and its bad. They truly don't cycle the tanks. They went to New Jersy, and were there for a week setting up 2 tanks. That's NOT cycling them. They put incompatible fish together. They don't do what the clients want either.

Anyone that saw the shark tank-they showed a 'later' picture of it. The dither fish were mostly gone, and they took out the stupid crap the guys put in there. (The law book, the gavel, and the other thing)... They don't really listen to their customers for some things, and do for others. I was hoping on the big tank that the rock was pre-cycled and not out of the water TOO much. But yeah, they didn't know how to do much.

I get the feeling they just recently started filling the tanks after setup. Like-for the show. They truly don't know what they're doing in the long run.

HecticDialectics

Y'all are so cute lol

They wouldn't be in business if after every single tank they build, a week after they set up the tank every single fished died. Use your brains. They're obviously pre-cycling the filters when they magically set up a tank in a day. The TV show doesnt show any of the sumps they build either. If you watch the Mafia Tank episode it's even clearly visible in the schematic. :lol:

These guys aren't just a bunch of 15 year old NR noobs that've had tanks for two months and think they know it all so they started a business.

Setting up a FO tank is also a lot simpler than setting up a reef tank with live rock and coral...

Y'all are so cute lol

They wouldn't be in business if after every single tank they build, a week after they set up the tank every single fished died. Use your brains. They're obviously pre-cycling the filters when they magically set up a tank in a day. The TV show doesnt show any of the sumps they build either. If you watch the Mafia Tank episode it's even clearly visible in the schematic. :lol:

These guys aren't just a bunch of 15 year old NR noobs that've had tanks for two months and think they know it all so they started a business.

Setting up a FO tank is also a lot simpler than setting up a reef tank with live rock and coral...

FO doesn't magically wisk away the cycle.

These guys are big buck, the owners don't want to hear "this will take a year to look like you expect". They want it now, and don't really care much about the cost or maintenance. They pay someone else to do it for them. In a $20,000 aquarium, do you really care if you lose a $4 fish? Probably not. Just like you have a pool guy, you also have an "aquarium guy" who comes in and deals with the problems. The cheapest tank on the show was probably $5k-10k.

We aren't talking about things like hiding their filtration, we know they hide that. Even if they are pre-cycling the filters, using tap water (which they have shown them using, they had to wait for the temp to come up as well) is going to kill much of that bacteria, plus, there are MANY , MANY mistakes they do, that they should know better about. How about the tank that needed a ladder for feeding (how much do you think that feeding tube alone cost? I'm betting $500 minimum), or the phone booth where, if a fish dies, you have no way of getting it out. Or how about the "hospital tank" in the kitchen where all the tanks were display tanks hooked into a single filtration system. Even the lawyer desk, the granite top openings weight how much? You need special lifters to open it? Yeah, good luck catching a fish in there or even getting it open. Again, these people pay them to maintain these tanks. Money isn't an object. They don't care about cycling and such, they pay them to do it.

They do know what they are doing, but it's on a different level and based on whatever the customer wants. These aren't hobby tanks and cheap dead fish are just a part of doing business.

HecticDialectics
blah blah blah

blah blah blah Even if they are pre-cycling the filters, using tap water (which they have shown them using, they had to wait for the temp to come up as well) is going to kill much of that bacteria, plus, there are MANY , MANY mistakes they do, that they should know better about. blah blah blah

blah blah blah

Ever heard of water conditioner?

In-line water filters?

You know what they say about people that make assumptions? lol

Archived