ReefCleaners.org

Tanked!

wartskin

Ever heard of water conditioner?

In-line water filters?

You know what they say about people that make assumptions? lol

I love when people assume. I am sure they got to be the largest acrylic aquarium maker in the WORLD by killing fish. It is tv they edit out all the boring stuff such as sumps and filters so you noobs can see the fish. Brett was at MACNA this weekend and gave plenty of explanations. Pop on in to R2R they actually called Brett weeks ago to ask questions about everything you noobs are assuming.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's the biggest problem with this hobby IMO "to many indians, not enough chiefs" god don't have it figured out in the ocean why do you think you can in a cube? Stop haten, watch or don't. If ya didn't know bad PR is good PR, so you become part of the cause, oh and also if you have enough $$$ you can get pre cycled old tank water

could you imagine how boring this show would be if they went over every little detail that everyone here is asking for? As far as reality tv goes this is a great show. the majority of the people watching this show dont even have a tank and probably never will. Its for entertainment not education. imo they do a good job of throwing little tid bits of what they are doing into the show. like others have said if the show bothers you that much dont watch it lol. if you want to watch a show with more education watch the new show ocean mysteries. at least they are finally showing a show that has anything to do with our hobby.

I like the show....

Definitively not a "how to" by any means.

What I wanna know, is how much the maintenance contracts go for ...LOL

They build tanks for people who don't know the difference between LR and a door knob and have the $$$ to blow and are happy to spend it. CHA CHING !

Talk about filling a need.

I gotta agree, if ya don't like it, don't tune in.

But, don't be the super environmentalist that shows up to the "green rally" driving a Hummer...lol

could you imagine how boring this show would be if they went over every little detail that everyone here is asking for? As far as reality tv goes this is a great show. the majority of the people watching this show dont even have a tank and probably never will. Its for entertainment not education. imo they do a good job of throwing little tid bits of what they are doing into the show. like others have said if the show bothers you that much dont watch it lol. if you want to watch a show with more education watch the new show ocean mysteries. at least they are finally showing a show that has anything to do with our hobby.

There is a awesome show that has been on for years that does this, it's called mythbusters now we just need a Oceanbusters or some variation of it for aquariums.

There is a awsome show that has been on for years that does this, it's called mythbusters.

How can you even compare tanked to mythbusters lol? makes no sense at all. beleive me i know what youre saying but tanked isnt aimed at us as hobbyists. mythbusters isnt aimed at anyone other than people who like to see stuff get blown up and myths busted.

I like the show....

Definitively not a "how to" by any means.

What I wanna know, is how much the maintenance contracts go for ...LOL

They build tanks for people who don't know the difference between LR and a door knob and have the $$$ to blow and are happy to spend it. CHA CHING !

Talk about filling a need.

I gotta agree, if ya don't like it, don't tune in.

But, don't be the super environmentalist that shows up to the "green rally" driving a Hummer...lol

Brett told Rev on reef2reef all these tanks are turned over to maintenance companys. I agree those people want to look at colorful fish and dump in a little food.They have money and do not care.

I've had several reef tanks in my day and when I upgrade ....

Rock, fish, coral + new sand and water.

BAM ... instant reef.

Ever been to a Saltwater Expo? Same thing.

Water conditioners and bottled bacteria. <--- not my style, but it works.

Ya don't stay in business (and have your own TV show) building death traps now do ya? lol

if you want to watch a show with more education watch the new show ocean mysteries. at least they are finally showing a show that has anything to do with our hobby.

What channel?

To sum up all I've said...

I like this show. A lot. It's not really an aquarium show, it's more of a building show. It's nice to see how happy these tanks make people. Even if the fish die, new ones can be bought after the massive cycle. The people are loaded, $300 for a rare replacement fish won't make them blink twice. They may very well be using additives to speed up the cycle, but we'll never know. I strongly dislike the way they treat the animals they use. It's a good reality show and I'll be tuning in every Friday at 9:00.

I looked at the entire thread on r2r, and couldn't find a word about the answers to the questions. Perhaps someone here could e-mail them and voice concerns-and plaster the reply on here.

While I don't like the way they operate either, it is obvious they are working on a whole different level then most of you assume. Those tanks take time to build. As soon as they get a deposit, they no doubt construct the filtration and get it moving with established media. Remember in a huge tanks like that, they overfilter and seed. More water=more stability. Yeah, it cycles but unless they overload it they probably won't lose too much. Additionally as mentioned upthread, these tanks are maintained by people who do it for a living. Want to experience the difference? Try tossing 15k at a tank set up and find out how easy it can be. For the average hobbyist the money just isn't there to purchase the shortcuts all at once.

Hell I've got a instant cycled 6 gallon. I just gathered all my water and sand bed from the local shore (south florida). 3 inch natural sand bed, live rock, filter and natural water = near instant tank. My cycle lasted about 72 hrs, with minimal swing. It can be done.

Brett has already taken the defensive "Im not an arsehole" .. yet comes off as an extreme ass.. When he said he wants to get 3 and 4 year old kids in the hobby.. gfy! A kid can appreciate a tank, but a 3 year old is not going to know the first thing about maintenance. They yes will be intrigued to see the hobby, and perhaps start a underlying love for it like most all of us store.

I understand hes from NY you can tell that from his accent.

"mis construed" - How about completely avoided.

When he said if you want to learn.. go to google, were not here to teach..

What I've got out of this entire conversation is.. "We're popular now, BUY MY PRODUCT".. oh wait..

I'm curious to know what 4 year degree he got when he was 20?

HecticDialectics

I think he's right on. He's just being honest. Of course he sounds like he's being defensive, because he has a bunch of know-nothing hobbyist hacks acting like they don't know what they're doing.

Notice what he said is exactly what I tried to explain to some of y'all? It's not water coming straight from a faucet... they're using pre-seeded filtration... etc. etc. :lol:

He's even working with Nevada to build a marine sciences program for primary education. Y'all should be embarrassed.

Ultimately, he is a bit of a douche.

That's the vibe I get.

I think he's right on. He's just being honest. Of course he sounds like he's being defensive, because he has a bunch of know-nothing hobbyist hacks acting like they don't know what they're doing.

Notice what he said is exactly what I tried to explain to some of y'all? It's not water coming straight from a faucet... they're using pre-seeded filtration... etc. etc. :lol:

He's even working with Nevada to build a marine sciences program for primary education. Y'all should be embarrassed.

You know what they say about birds of a feather...

I guess I assumed those hoses were coming out of tanks of pre-mix on trucks, Why would anyone assume it was tap water? Now for freshwater setups they could use tap.

I guess I assumed those hoses were coming out of tanks of pre-mix on trucks, Why would anyone assume it was tap water? Now for freshwater setups they could use tap.

In more than one episode they hooked up their hoses to taps on the wall.

HecticDialectics
You know what they say about birds of a feather...

I totally understand how Brett feels. I often feel the same way when I accidentally wander into the general and beginner forums to try and help folks.

Tanked is a TV entertainment show, not an educational video.The clients are sophisticated, wealthy people who have the means and opportunity and the will to use attorneys.If these tanks turned out to be algae ridden cesspools of death in a month or two the company would be out of business. I just wish they would have some kind of disclaimer that would indicate that an aquarium can't just be thrown together in a day.

Ya'll are full of yourselves if your trashing a show about Crazy custom aquariums. Its entertainment television. It's not like david attenborough is narrating it or something.

These people make money off making obnoxious and luxurious aquariums, not by piling rocks in a 20 gallon and calling it a Nano-Reef. If What they did was that terrible, they wouldn't be in business or have a frickin TV show.

Archived