Top Shelf Aquatics

Tanked!

wartskin

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Peehee, I love it on Whale Wars when the Japanese ships play their recording of the captain saying "Warning! This is Nishan Maru captain. Please don't come near our ship. We will attack you."

The theme song is awesome too. The world is a vampire, dodododo dooo, sent to jaaaaaane, sent to destroy us, hold us up to the flames, and what do I get, for all my paaaiiiin, DOdodododoDOO DESPITE OF MY RAGE I'M ANGRY AND I'M GONNA KILL YOUR FFAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!

you have been corrected SIR

Just watched the episode 3 on. Ondemand. Thought bio balls where bad lol every tank they show has 2838383 of them

they are only bad when they arent kept clean. They are actually very effective when they are well maintained, which is good for these guys because it doesnt look like they use a lot of live rock.

they are only bad when they arent kept clean. They are actually very effective when they are well maintained, which is good for these guys because it doesnt look like they use a lot of live rock.

Bioballs are nitrate factories.

^ +1 if you dont clean them, they can be a problem

Bioballs are nitrate factories.

when they arent well maintained they can be. When kept clean they do the same thing as live rock.

The world is a vampire sent to Jane? Lmao

here is the whole song

Smashing Pumpkins- Bullet With Butterfly Wings

The world is a vampire, sent to drain

Secret destroyers, hold you up to the flames

And what do I get, for my pain?

Betrayed desires, and a piece of the game

Even though I know - I suppose I'll show

All my cool and cold - like old job

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage

Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Now I'm naked, nothing but an animal

But can you fake it, for just one more show?

And what do you want?

I want to change

And what have you got, when you feel the same?

Even though I know - I suppose I'll show

All my cool and cold - like old job

Then someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Tell me I'm the only one

Tell me there's no other one

Jesus was the only son, yeah.

Tell me I'm the chosen one

Jesus was the only son for you

And someone will say what is lost can never be saved

Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a-

Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a-

Despite all my rage am I still just a rat in a cage

Tell me I'm the only one

Tell me there's no other one

Jesus was the only son for you

when they arent well maintained they can be. When kept clean they do the same thing as live rock.

+1

Look at most cold water tanks as well, how many of these larger systems aren't using bioballs? They work great and are easy to clean.

What do bioballs even do? They're just plastic...

they allow beneficial bacteria to grow on them, almost like live rock

What do bioballs even do? They're just plastic...

they have a huge ammount of surface area for the space that they take up which allows a lot of nitrifying bacteria to grow on em.

They only become "nitrate factories" when they trap detritus and that is left to decompose, which is why you clean them.

they have a huge ammount of surface area for the space that they take up which allows a lot of nitrifying bacteria to grow on em.

They only become "nitrate factories" when they trap detritus and that is left to decompose, which is why you clean them.

So, just coming from a biology background, but isn't washing them out the problem? You're instantly getting rid of billions of nitrifying and other bacteria...and of course they'll be recolonized, but I assure you that won't happen over night. You're momentarily leaving your tank more susceptible to a spike.

At least, that's why I discontinued use.

So, just coming from a biology background, but isn't washing them out the problem? You're instantly getting rid of billions of nitrifying and other bacteria...and of course they'll be recolonized, but I assure you that won't happen over night. You're momentarily leaving your tank more susceptible to a spike.

Maybe the secret it to siphon them rather than wash them.

this is why you rinse them in salt water (eg water change water that just came out of the tank.)

This is true only if you rinse it with freshwater; instead you pull a gallon of water from the tank into a bucket and rinse them in there. You will always loose bacteria but only a little and you are not going to scrub down the balls to a spotless clean just enough to remove the bulk of the debris on them.

what he said

I DISGREE they do care about the animals they put in the tanks, if that was the case why would they fly out to hand pick these fish? they could order from a catalog or online, i think most people dont know how tv works an the process of editing, the day to day care is done by the owner of the tanks, but like you said the maintance is done by some else. we dont know how old or how new these tanks are, this whole series could have been filmed for the last three years we dont know... jmo

They didn't follow these guys for three years, that doesn't mesh with the whole concept of reality tv, which is that it's CHEAP to make. You have a few camera men follow some people for a bit, chop it up, add drama, add a logo. Besides, not only does reality tv come and go, and they know this, but also 3 years in the making? That would take a heck of an investment and no one will do that on a first season reality tv show.

They fly out to hand pick the fish because it allows them to hand pick the best looking specimens. When your client is spending 50k on a tank, are you going to go to the local LFS and pick from 2 or 3 they have in stock or do you go to a place that has 50 of them to pick from? It has nothing to do with care for the fish, it's about caring for the customer and his wallet.

28g nano noob

Hey ephyllia guess wat I did today with a 5 gallon bucket tap water a little declornator ad some special salt from petsmart lol

Archived