Top Shelf Aquatics

Tanked!

wartskin

chucktdbm321

yea agreed with stevieT. Seems that they design and make a tank with all artifical stuff and then as soon as it is done with plumbing there are already thousands of dollars of fish in it. Cycling and anything else you've been told in this hobby doesn't happen on the show whatsoever

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yea agreed with stevieT. Seems that they design and make a tank with all artifical stuff and then as soon as it is done with plumbing there are already thousands of dollars of fish in it. Cycling and anything else you've been told in this hobby doesn't happen on the show whatsoever

right, because what they show you in each episode is a complete, step-by-step presentation of every single aspect of how ATM sets up a tank. lol.

all of you need to grow up and realize that this show is meant to be entertaining, not educational. ATM is a great company with a stellar reputation for incredibly constructed aquariums and top-notch service and maintenance, including livestock health. it's easy for all of you noobs and armchair marine biologists to sit there at your computers and rail on these guys, but they know what they're doing and they make a damn fine living doing it.

Deleted User 6
it's easy for all of you noobs and armchair marine biologists to sit there at your computers and rail on these guys, but they know what they're doing and they make a damn fine living doing it.

did you seriously just use the keyboard warrior attack? lol.

Hey, how about they do a 60 minute special on the nitrogen cycle?

(sarcasm)

Guys... really, what do you expect from a show like this. It's for entertainment ONLY...

Jer is right it is entertainment not a how to show, I agree there is a few things they do that I dont approve of but who am I to judge them, Especially when we dont get to see every aspect of there work and there installs.

I liked the show very cool I bet exotic reef imports is going to be really busey tomorrow

Exotic Reef imports is a wholesaler and I've never been to impressed with them.

Just call them up then. ask them if they are using pre aged biofilters etc, or if they are relying on dilution alone to handle the initial loading of the tank. Im sure they've heard the cycling statement from fifty angles now in about two seconds flat.

There are ways of using adsorbtion media to fix all ammonia without a biofilter but its amazing they left that part out, they could have told the techies how they did it but maybe its a trade secret. By not addressing it they made it look like they weren't considering balance, so the show was arranged poorly I guess. I wasn't wowed, they do things with car stereos that are just as good. Too bad they won't make a show about the science of the aquarium.

Their tanks are amazing.... but what I don't like is how they buy the fish, fill the tank up and put um in. They give no time for a cycle.

We are watching a television show. They are not going to show us 45 minutes of fish getting acclimated. Half the show is the guys arguing with each other. It's tv.

It's for entertainment only. It isn't a how-to. <_<

I'm not saying I approve of their methods, but non-hobbyist don't know that what they're doing is the wrong thing to do. Would it be super fun to watch them fill the tank with water and say "It's time to cycle the tank! We will show it to you next time on Tanked, here, on Aminal Panet!"

northeastern

i assumed they used water from their shop because in this episode you see them bring hoses in from their truck.

this show isn't trying to teach anything, it never even mentions what goes into the filtration they use.

i like their tanks but i couldn't imagine a tank with no lr and real corals (albeit i am still very new at this)

What if they use water from super established tanks? What if the sand and rock they use were pre-cycled? What if they add bacteria and other additives to make the cycle less toxic for the tank inhabitants?

Flying Bones
Just call them up then. ask them if they are using pre aged biofilters etc, or if they are relying on dilution alone to handle the initial loading of the tank. Im sure they've heard the cycling statement from fifty angles now in about two seconds flat.

There are ways of using adsorbtion media to fix all ammonia without a biofilter but its amazing they left that part out, they could have told the techies how they did it but maybe its a trade secret. By not addressing it they made it look like they weren't considering balance, so the show was arranged poorly I guess. I wasn't wowed, they do things with car stereos that are just as good. Too bad they won't make a show about the science of the aquarium.

You guys are like .01% of the population that is going to watch that show. If they described their processes they'd be most likely boring their target audience. I'd love to see some detail, but i'm 1/1000 in everything I do.

You have to realize, you're average Joe and Jane just don't care about anything in detail, why do you think their Petco Aquariums have massacred fish long ago and are now sitting in the garage waiting for a yard sale. So far the show seems pretty pathetic on every angle. The woman's whining about getting in the tank was almost enough Brooklyn to drive me bananas.

right, because what they show you in each episode is a complete, step-by-step presentation of every single aspect of how ATM sets up a tank. lol.

all of you need to grow up and realize that this show is meant to be entertaining, not educational. ATM is a great company with a stellar reputation for incredibly constructed aquariums and top-notch service and maintenance, including livestock health. it's easy for all of you noobs and armchair marine biologists to sit there at your computers and rail on these guys, but they know what they're doing and they make a damn fine living doing it.

I have to agree with jeremai here.

I like others wasn't pleased with the previews but after actually watching the show it wasn't bad and I actually enjoyed it. They seem to focus more on FO systems which is fine. That QT system was very nice.

Reefbuilders had a good article on this

http://reefbuilders.com/2011/08/21/tanked-hold-water/

scroll down and read the comments as well. I seriously agree people need to lighten up. They do not show the life support systems in the show, they probably ran the freshwater through carbon to speed up the process. they could have used live cultures in the life support and other means to instantly cycle also since the tanks are so large they are much more stable than nanos.

Nah they could have said "the water is prepared at our shop" or given any hint, they left out a huge part of the show's potential in not even addressing it.

Lets have a show about classic cars and not ever show the engine or talk about the cams because people really are just interested in the bodies. Anytime you are taking on a science or a tech hobby all producers know the huge portion of the shadetree demographic and they left it out. Poor arrangement, Im not judging just a mention the cams and engine was left out of the show.

Just a passing mention. maybe they did it to cook up a storm lol we'll see in future episodes if its addressed.

Archived