ReefCleaners.org

Tanked!

wartskin

seahorsedreams
Crabs is food.

Ok, then fly fishing for sport? It's more cruel to make a puffer inflate than it is to hook a fish?

I just don't know how we can cry over fish cruelty (even though there is animal peeps on the set to watch that they are not abused.... there always is) when I guarantee you a family member of mine is out jigging a fish through the gut right now. When they are in our tanks they deserve respect, but when they are meant for food or sport, they don't?

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HecticDialectics
I'm gonna put my two cents in about this show since I wasn't here to read every single post.

Let us know when you read every single post, so we don't have to re-hash old ground you obviously missed. :lol:

Really, if you want, you could skip the first 9 pages and just read pages 10-13 for the important stuff ;)

Your crazy to say your not impressed with the tanks they build.....I bet if you just seen pictures of the tanks you would be all over it....

And when has it been hurtful to a fish to take it out of water for a sec or make a puffer puff?

I will say on a down note.....bad acting is right..lol this last episode you could really see the scenes

and what's the matter.... they are teaching you noobs something, bet ya didn't know how many hearts a octopus had? Or what even a goatfish was let alone how it eats

Stop H8in

Your crazy to say your not impressed with the tanks they build.....I bet if you just seen pictures of the tanks you would be all over it....

And when has it been hurtful to a fish to take it out of water for a sec or make a puffer puff?

I will say on a down note.....bad acting is right..lol this last episode you could really see the scenes

and what's the matter.... they are teaching you noobs something, bet ya didn't know how many hearts a octopus had? Or what even a goatfish was let alone how it eats

Stop H8in

I am no n00b, hence is why I know that making a puffer puff up can be detrimental to it's health or even fatal.

seahorsedreams
food fish is food

They don't know that until they end up on the boat that brings them to the LFS or the boat that brings them to my plate.

Going crazy over a acrylic tank with ugly fake coral inserts, as well as other ugly decorations? Even the tank with actual coral didn't look that good.

Really, people as I said like 10 pages ago this is ENTERTAINMENT TV. And yes they are in it to make money, it IS a business afterall.Heres a qoute from the latest issue of TFH:

"Despite their antics and their far-flung promises, both Wayde and Brett take their jobs very seriously. They are certified scuba divers, avid hobbyists, and devoted fish enthusiasts. As Brett put it, “We don’t want people to think that we’re just these aquarium builders and we don’t care about the fish. It’s very important that everybody knows that we love fish, we’re knowledgeable, we have a huge, huge retail store in Las Vegas that’s probably one of the best stores on the west coast, and it opens up in three weeks. I want people to understand that not only are we aquarium builders, that we are fish enthusiasts, hobbyists, and we want to do whatever is in the best interest for the animals.”

For example, the “Mob Experience” tank includes a parrotfish, which are notoriously difficult to keep in captivity. However, by including hard-shelled prey items for them in the tank and giving them plenty of room, Wayde says the parrotfish is thriving.

Wayde says, “We make sure any of the fish that we’re going to get are eating and are in good shape and condition. Reality TV is reality TV; most of the time everything looks like it’s done overnight. We don’t want people to think that it’s being done overnight—people need to understand that all the builds and everything that we do, they don’t happen instantaneously; it takes time. We do whatever we can to ensure the proper environment for the fish, whether it be food, feeding, so forth and so on.”"

If their techniques were totally ineffective they would be out of business. In this economy, thats a fact.

So there you have it.I'm not saying everything they are doing is perfect, but they are not idiots.Tank failures lead to the entire business failing and in this economy the company wouldn't last long. If they actually showed every little detail involved in preparing an aquarium for fish/corals nobody would watch it. Cycling a tank is pretty boring stuff to all but us fish geeks :) I personally don't like some of the fake decorations they put in there but to each his own.

This show is quite entertaining but the acting sux - unrealistic ("prepared") cliché jokes, unnatural emotions. Regarding "reality moment" - American chopper (one of the rare show I watched back in the day) on Discovery was way better.

It is obvious that their customers spend a lot of money on these setups so they can afford everything that would keep the fish alive and healthy - it includes various absorbing media, bad-ass skimmers and so on. Who said the Live Rock is the only way? These are more or less public aquariums - no one would appreciate live coral. Fish will swim and look stunning all the time, but coral might be closed up plus it needs some serious light. So I don't see a problem with fake coral inserts. If you were those underwater strippers would you like to rub against some huge zoa colonies?

And yes most of the people do not appreciate coral - it is important only to You who knows what it is.

And for those who don't like it - there is always Jim Stime with LA Fishguys. :)

Still can't get over those K-Swiss.

Haha looked like he had a home monitor bracelet on too or that's where he keeps his $$$$

Going crazy over a acrylic tank with ugly fake coral inserts, as well as other ugly decorations? Even the tank with actual coral didn't look that good.

Iam not saying what's in em.... I don't care for the fake stuff either but if I was to do a fish only that's the route id go, but have you ever seen a sk8 ramp tank? Its impressive

Well, Brett actually replied back to my email!

He says "YOU CAN CYCLE A TANK OVERNIGHT WITH NITROPHYING BACTERIA AND A STRONG DECHLOR. OUR PRODUCTS WILL BE IN THE MARKET PLACE WITHIN WEEKS . CHECK YOUR LOCAL STORE OR ONLINE."

So, apparently they're gonna be selling whatever they use to make water fish and coral ready in one day really really soon. Umm...does this sound more like I'm dreaming than actual fact?

Well, Brett actually replied back to my email!

He says "YOU CAN CYCLE A TANK OVERNIGHT WITH NITROPHYING BACTERIA AND A STRONG DECHLOR. OUR PRODUCTS WILL BE IN THE MARKET PLACE WITHIN WEEKS . CHECK YOUR LOCAL STORE OR ONLINE."

So, apparently they're gonna be selling whatever they use to make water fish and coral ready in one day really really soon. Umm...does this sound more like I'm dreaming than actual fact?

Stuffs been out forever, same stuff different brand.

There's already 3-4 different brands of those in the market and trust me, even if you use those, you can't just dump a bunch of fishes in the tank, like they do in T.V. I'm sure those fishes in the show died or was taken out of the tank 2-3 days later.

I actually saw the phone book aquarium for sale on ebay that they created and dumped a bunch of fishes in selling for $6000 +. What happened to the fishes there?

Are you suggesting that they cycle their tanks?

Yes, their customers are not surprised about the tank they had it in their house for a while before the livestock was introduced. ie the reef tank in the Asian's guys house.

It's TV if it was real you wouldn't watch. They don't' make the show for people in the hobby.

But on that subject I have moved my tank 3 times. It was set up in one day.

I'm heading out to Vegas in October and plan on checking out some of the tanks they have built. I'm pretty sure if the fish they have been using to populate these tanks died within days not only would their profit margins be highly effected but so would their reputation. If they had a bad rep I'm sure a major network wouldn't be using them for a tv show. I know we as hobbyist see some of their practices as incorrect but we are also watching a chopped up tv show. And I would consider them PROFESIONALS. Remember the clients ask for FISH tanks not reef tanks and don't know their ass from there elbows about the hobby. That's why they hire pros to build and maintain the tanks. So let's stop getting so serious and upset about a tv show. I swear some of the people on here take their hobby so over board maybe some of you should be trying to get laid instead of staring at a computer talking fish. I know it's a serious hobby but that's what it is a hobby even an obsession especially to me. But come on stop being stuck up know it alls and leave tue house a bit. Thank you and good day.

They could at least put up a disclaimer or something when the show starts. Stating that it is heavily edited and the fish need a matured system before just being hucked in. You know, just to make my job easier. As well as every other marine LFS employee that by now have permanent hand marks on their forehead from all the facepalming that the show has caused. :P

I think its a cool show, some of the things they do are questionable like throwing a ton fish into a aquarium that was filled moments ago without acclimating them. But over all I like the show.

Archived