inTank Media Baskets

Tanked!

wartskin

i think the anger towards the show is silly. first of all the producers and editors are going to do all they can to make the show more interesting and dramatic, which in some circumstances is going to involve making things look worse. and ANYONE who counts this show as educative is more of an idiot than anyone on tanked. while some might say that you have to expect those idiots to happen thats not an argument against the business or reality tv in general. it is the responsibility of the person starting their tank to do the research. frankly, i dont think its the job of the person at the LFS either, they have a job to run and while maybe they have a moral imperative to refuse service to those people i dont think its a moral requirement. if YOU as a person are the one with an achilles tang in your 5g with gravel and a HOB then its YOU who are the bastard and no one else. no one put a gun to your head and told you upon pain of death to do it.

if anything, we can hope (i said HOPE) that people will watch the show and want to start tanks of their own. hopefully they will do the requisite research and start tanks which will ultimately further the hobby and the industry and make things better for all of us.

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply
first of all the producers and editors are going to do all they can to make the show more interesting and dramatic, which in some circumstances is going to involve making things look worse.

Yeah, including scripting the whole thing and having these boners attempt to act it out.

randythefishdude

tanked is the fakeist show they use chemicals to treat the tanks stated in one episoed and there higly over stoked they dont even wait to put the fish in it looked like they were using a hose to put the water in it reminded me me of the fish graveyard petco :angry::angry:

Ive noticed in subsequent episodes the biological prep is getting spoken of a little better. seems they are ramping up to disclosing how they prep the tanks before a fill

I was amazed at them buying the mimic in the last thread. a cool animal, but they admittedly have no experience with them. The amount of non sustainability has become the latest bandwagon to jump on, we're well past the cycling portion now lol

Flying_Hellfish
I hear they pee in the tank to start a cycle

That wasn't what I was supposed to do? :huh:

I've watched the show and I take it for what it is, a dramatic, scripted, entertainment, "reality" show. Aside from the fact that they don't deal with any real coral it is decent if you take it as that. Most of the large scale tanks I have seen at businesses don't have real coral anyway because that is much too much maintenance for the owners.

It did make me feel kind of good when I was watching it and my girlfriend looked at me and said, "Wait a minute, they can't just dump those fish right into the tank right?". I guess she does pay attention when I explain why I can't just bring fish home from the store and throw them into a tank.

Yes, their customers are not surprised about the tank they had it in their house for a while before the livestock was introduced. ie the reef tank in the Asian's guys house.

It's TV if it was real you wouldn't watch. They don't' make the show for people in the hobby.

But on that subject I have moved my tank 3 times. It was set up in one day.

I have moved my tank 3 times. Only water I added was 1 bucket of old water that fish were in. First time I set up my tank I filled it with tap water and salt. Then once it was up to temp in went the live rock.

i think this helps explain some things...exactly the point i was trying to make:

an interview with Brett Raymer from Tanked

good video, you should watch it.

Brett is just sweet talking in the video to make it seem like we're wrong about him. He never directly says that they cycle their tanks properly. He "cares" about the fish how? By giving them color pieces of crap "coral inserts"? If Brett has something to say, he should say it on the show. Even add a disclaimed, which I think was previously mentioned by somebody in this thread.

Its funny the people who "don't like the show" keep posting about it, why not save your next post full of facts and knowledge for a email to peta and try to make a difference for all the poor fish or angieslist for the misinformed customers

I tend to watch the show to see 1 of a kind over the top tanks and livestock, not to learn about the hobby, I mean when was the last time you seen a mimic? They do provide fun facts for all you noobs

Everyone keeps complaining about the coral inserts and it's funny. These people want fish tanks not reef tanks. If you ask me the inserts are alot better then them using bubbling divers sunken ships and those stupid sponge bob decorations ive seen at pet stores. Just drop it already people. If your minds can't grasp the conceptbof a TV show it kind of scares me. Has anyone complaining about the hoses they use ever seen a LFS set up a large tank? Well to inform you they use big water tanks that remain in trucks that have hoses connected to them at the other end of the hose there is a pump that is in the water tank. That water is mixed saltwater that is then pumped into the tank. They do this to not carry barrels or buckets around the home of their client. You know do it's a little more professional. Do you expect them to be using 5 gallon buckets to fill 500+ gallon s. Get off of your high horses and grow the #### up people. If you hate it stop watching and talking about it. if you think you can do it better start your own custom tank business and shoot me an email I want a 2000 gallon tank I gave to dive in to place corals shoot me a quote some credentials and pictures of some of your past builds and we'll talk. If not SHUT THE HELL UP.

Here's a fun fact for fish-only tanks.

Cycling is not required.

OMG, I SAID IT!. Instant cycle products work extremely well, as do wet-dry filtration systems. As hobbyists, we're willing to spend the extra time and money involved in setting up a tank properly, and ensuring that we have a well functioning biological filtration system, but none of that is required, and all of that requires additional expenses, substantially more knowledge, patience, and time. Someone who wants a fish tank as an appliance does not have all of those things, nor are they required.

Throw in water, conditioner, salt, and an instant cycle product, while using an artificial substrate, and you've got a fish ready tank in a few hours, with likely no loss. You can certainly make the case that the tanks are stocked inappropriately, but that's really here nor there. Your LFS will help you inappropriately stock your tank all day long, and I certainly don't see you refusing to patronize their service.

Grab your sacks gents, and quit whining like little girls about a show that's entertaining.

lawnmowerblenny

I like it for the most part, gives the hobby a little exposure and keeps me entertained regardless of the stupid things they sometimes do it's reality TV what do you expect? Seriously it's on animal planet not brstv lol It's not a hobbiest show more of a Pimp my Aquarium imo Cheezy but keeps me interested...

I would make it more informative to viewers so they dont just go out and throw all these fish in a new tank like they do on TV (Tanked) Explain the process and cheimcals and bacteria additives so that people who are unaware of proper aquarium husbandry can see how they are able to add so many fish so instantly and also they should recomend that people do not follow there bad habits

they just need to make it more proffesional and explain things better.

just my .02

they just need to make it more proffesional and explain things better.

it's been posted but they are going to show more of that, to an extent, in season two.

HecticDialectics
it's been posted but they are going to show more of that, to an extent, in season two.

Sounds like Season Two is going to turn into an infomercial with them pimping their supp line. :lol:

I'm sure people will ##### about that too. ##### about not having any information. Then ##### about ATM pushing their line of additives. Gotta love America. People are always gonna #####. Especially hobbyists, because pseudo-reefkeeping is how a lot of these folks define themselves. They aren't -good- at reefkeeping, but they know just enough (i.e. the bare minimum) to act like they have a high horse worthy of speaking from to bash the most experienced and successful tank builders in the world. :lol:

Sounds like Season Two is going to turn into an infomercial with them pimping their supp line. :lol:

It may. ATM does not do the production of the show. But Brett was sure to mention that line when we spoke :) yeh capitalism.

What he did mention was that they don't want them showing hooking a hose up to a water line, when in fact they had premixed RO and salt on a truck.

But like you said the hobbyist are always going to ##### no matter what. The cherry on top is that the show is very popular and our industry needs it. Bad.

I dunno, I don't think Brett owes you anything. :lol:

I think that brett's a millionaire, and yall are just whiny.....

There. I said it. It's out there.

-----

Seriously, you "the tank has to be EXACT or the fish aren't happy/will die" people,

need to stfu and go hug a tree....

Honestly,

It's NOT your responsibility to make sure the world has better husbandry.

For that matter, you all need to move out of your houses and back into the wood's.

I think that the creature's that were here first, aren't happy with yer city.

Oh, "but that doesn't make sense", you say.

You say, "stop picking on us internet-gangster-tree-hugger-type's....."

Well f#$k off...

I'm gonna go buy a big-a$$ Angel and leave it in a 5g bucket in the sun.

Idiot's.

Go have a protest or something.....

I watched a Tanked Marathon on Friday night. I have to say, I am entertained.

Brett seems very defensive in his interview. I don't agree with his view, but he's entitled to it. If you care about this hobby and want people to enjoy it, don't show them behavior that will have them ending in failure and bailing on it (I know he can't control the editing). We also don't need PETA and co. breathing down our necks. They have an incredibly large platform to reach viewers. There's no reason you can't entertain and be educational at the same time. Dirty Jobs? Meerkat Manor? Myth Busters?

Apparently they've brought at least one person to the hobby. I met a really nice guy at my LFS this weekend that was setting up his first reef tank. I asked him what got him interested... you guessed it... Tanked. To be fair he is very well versed in high tech FW aquariums.

That being said, just bringing people into the hobby doesn't mean it's healthy. Finding Nemo was the biggest shot in the arm for reefing in recent times. I wonder how many dead Nemos there are or Dories placed in cramped confines.

Animal Planet has to share some of this blame.

Archived