SaltCritters.com

Cape Horn

JoelRHale

• Replies 8.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meh, had it been my fault due to poor fish keeping/water stability/inadequate down time for disease, I would have gladly shipped you tears. He was healthy, happy, and eating all the time last I saw him so I'm pretty sure this was an invert's doing.

But like I said, this could all be fine and he could be alive and well. Finding a tiny, well camoflagued fish that specializes in perching and hiding in a decent sized tank isn't exactly an easy task. That's why I'm giving him a week to surface. He could have even gotten inside of the PVC, I noticed an opening a small fish could enter. So there's that.

For the damsel plan I'm thinking 4 groups of 3. YTD, 3 stripes, TBD, and TBD. Dominos, blues, Chromis are all on the list. Don't think I will order, just whatever the LFS has.

Thoughts on 4 groups of 3? Good number? Alternative plans?

Joel. We love this lounge but let's get back to your basics which has been lost in the fluff.

How long has your tank been running?

What has been the history of diseases and cures?

What is your maintenance like?

What are your params?

I was just listening to a song. I'm not hitting on batman pants. :lol:

Its ok Kat. I'm pretty sure every female who reads Joel's thread has hit on him at some point. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the health issues and the blenny. Hopefully he's just hiding somewhere and will reappear shortly. Fish are seriously a pain. Why do we subject ourselves to this hobby? :mellow:

Oh and I like the 4 groups of 3 idea. :D

Oh no :( Hopefully he's just hiding. If not, I blame the lobster, and will forever blame the lobster for all that goes wrong in your tank, until he is removed.

Hoping he's just hiding!!!!!!

Joel. We love this lounge but let's get back to your basics which has been lost in the fluff.

How long has your tank been running?

What has been the history of diseases and cures?

What is your maintenance like?

What are your params?

It's been running since 5/15/11 so in two weeks it will be 9 months old.

The only disease I had was the one that took all my fish, there was no outward signs of disease. All 5 fish in 36 hours. Recovered bodies looked perfectly normal. So no cure to follow up, it came and went and now something probably ate my blenny.

Maintenance Is pretty easy, I spray my mangroves daily and make sure the ato is full. Weekly I clean my skimmer cup and prefilter foam. In an effort to lower my alk and ca levels I've stopped doing water changes for the last three weeks but judging by my water testing I'll be doing one this weekend. When I do change the water it's 3-4 gallons.

Params are:

NO3: 0ppm

PO4: 0ppm

Calc: 460ppm

Dkh: 11

Temp: 78

Ph: 8.2

SG: 1.026

I also have been dosing iodine for the last 7 months but do not have a test kit. I think 7 months is a safe duration to say I am not over dosing. :D I've started dosing strontium as well but only dose 1/4 the recommended dose. I also do not have a mag test but since dkh and calc is high I think my mag is a little high too.

Its ok Kat. I'm pretty sure every female who reads Joel's thread has hit on him at some point. :lol:

Sorry to hear about the health issues and the blenny. Hopefully he's just hiding somewhere and will reappear shortly. Fish are seriously a pain. Why do we subject ourselves to this hobby? :mellow:

Oh and I like the 4 groups of 3 idea. :D

Fish are the worst best part about a reef. :lol:

Oh no :( Hopefully he's just hiding. If not, I blame the lobster, and will forever blame the lobster for all that goes wrong in your tank, until he is removed.

Hoping he's just hiding!!!!!!

I don't want to say it but you're right. But he is literally the coolest thing in my tank. :(

And getting him out will be horrible. First I need to see if the LFS will take him back.

Fish are the worst best part about a reef. :lol:

I know! But I couldn't have a tank without some fish. I like them too much. I also get way too attached and get really bummed out if something happens.

It's not tank params. It's not maintenance routine. Joel is a pro with that stuff. It's the lobster ;)

And thanks :)

I know! But I couldn't have a tank without some fish. I like them too much. I also get way too attached and get really bummed out if something happens.

I'll be happy to get some colorful movement too. And really, I'm not that attached anymore. I was super attached to van Gogh, then he died and I was sad. Then baby blenny made me love again. Now my heart is cold. :P

I know this is off topic but, is Molly quirky? Just now Chloe was whining at the water bowl. Guess why? The vacuum cord was in her way. She had to walk over it to get to the water and it wasn't going to happen :lol: As soon as I removed it, she went and got a drink. She's either a diva or a scaredy pants :lol:

I'll be happy to get some colorful movement too. And really, I'm not that attached anymore. I was super attached to van Gogh, then he died and I was sad. Then baby blenny made me love again. Now my heart is cold. :P

Awww, don't be cold. You'll learn to love fish again! When I was like 4 or 5, my dad and I set up my first freshwater community tank and I had this standard pleco named Juicer that I absolutely loved. When he died I was hysterical (keep in mine I was like 5) and we had to have a funeral for him and bury him in the back yard. I've always been too attached to my fish. :lol:

I know this is off topic but, is Molly quirky? Just now Chloe was whining at the water bowl. Guess why? The vacuum cord was in her way. She had to walk over it to get to the water and it wasn't going to happen :lol: As soon as I removed it, she went and got a drink. She's either a diva or a scaredy pants :lol:

I bet she's terrified of the vacuum. Lily won't come out from under the bed if the vacuum isn't put away in the closet. The vacuum is not allowed to sit out even if its not running.

Awww, don't be cold. You'll learn to love fish again! When I was like 4 or 5, my dad and I set up my first freshwater community tank and I had this standard pleco named Juicer that I absolutely loved. When he died I was hysterical (keep in mine I was like 5) and we had to have a funeral for him and bury him in the back yard. I've always been too attached to my fish. :lol:

I bet she's terrified of the vacuum. Lily won't come out from under the bed if the vacuum isn't put away in the closet. The vacuum is not allowed to sit out even if its not running.

It's easy to get attached to fish. Juicer? Did you name him?

Chloe is pretty much afraid of anything that is out of place. And she definitely runs from the vacuum. She's big time quirky!

ftfy

crab-people.jpg

:lol: love it!

She's not quirky, she's demanding. We're watching tv? She digs around on "her bag" (it's a big shopping bag she likes to lay on) and makes a ruckus. She's hungry? She'll scratch at her bowl for a while and if you don't get the hint she will carry it to you and stare at you. She wants pets? First she pokes your hand with her nose and tries to flip it on top of her head, then she lays down and paws at you, then she huffs, then growls, then play bites, she just throws a fit. And the kicker? When you pet her, she slowly backs away until she is just out of arms reach and you have to either stretch to get her or begin the cycle again. :lol:

My neighbor's dog is very scared of his guitar. Even when he isn't playing it, the dog scampers away when it gets near :lol:

It's easy to get attached to fish. Juicer? Did you name him?

Yeah, I named him. So my 5 year old self thought that the pleco's mouth sucking on the glass looked like when you suck a drink through a straw. Being as I was 5, I drank juice boxes with the little straws, so hence Juicer. :lol: My parents still remember that fish since I gave him such an odd name. All my freshwater tanks since, my dad has called the plecos Juicer.

She's not quirky, she's demanding. We're watching tv? She digs around on "her bag" (it's a big shopping bag she likes to lay on) and makes a ruckus. She's hungry? She'll scratch at her bowl for a while and if you don't get the hint she will carry it to you and stare at you. She wants pets? First she pokes your hand with her nose and tries to flip it on top of her head, then she lays down and paws at you, then she huffs, then growls, then play bites, she just throws a fit. And the kicker? When you pet her, she slowly backs away until she is just out of arms reach and you have to either stretch to get her or begin the cycle again. :lol:

Too cute! What a diva!

I don't want to say it but you're right. But he is literally the coolest thing in my tank. :(

And getting him out will be horrible. First I need to see if the LFS will take him back.

I'm 99.9% positive that the lobster is the cause of all the problems.

I don't even think there was disease. I think the fish got spooked by the lobster and it was a chain reaction. Some may have died from stress.

I'm looking forward to seeing the tank stocked with damsels if you decide to go that route.

Archived