inTank Media Baskets

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

Amazing tank, whats your secret?

im 17 years old and started my first SW tank about 3-4 months ago and lost 3 fish to a parasite about 2 months ago. just picked up 1 clownfish and a peppermint shrimp. looking good so far. im just wondering how you keep everything so perfect looking

your corals look amazing, what lights are you using? and how do you keep everything so happy?

thanks for any advice you may decide to give:)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's a shame about the mangrove, are they hard to keep? I really want one in my tank, but not too sure because people say they can push glass apart and everything maybe wait until I sort out a sump. That's good news about the sps glad to hear there doing well mate.

Plans for the future?

Mangroves aren't too hard you just need to spray them with RO water regularly. I lost one because I bought some from my LFS that had already sprouted leaves so they have a harder time acclimating to new tank. If you start them from the seed-like stage they're more hardy but take longer to get leaves. I have all mine in the sump so hopefully they don't crack the bottom!!

Amazing tank, whats your secret?

im 17 years old and started my first SW tank about 3-4 months ago and lost 3 fish to a parasite about 2 months ago. just picked up 1 clownfish and a peppermint shrimp. looking good so far. im just wondering how you keep everything so perfect looking

your corals look amazing, what lights are you using? and how do you keep everything so happy?

thanks for any advice you may decide to give:)

Thanks R3!! The only secrets I might have are to keep up with waterchanges and don't feed too heavily :P I clean the glass a lot though and I think my emerald crab does some good work with eating detritus. My lights are a 24" giesemann infiniti fixture with a 20k radium and all the t5's are ATI blue plus (which were recommended by rehype and provide a great color!). I also find that the less my hands are in the tank messing around with stuff the better the corals grow. Also never stop researching and learn as much as you can about pretty much everything reef related that you plan on doing. Hope this helps and good luck!!

Badass tank Schreiba, I'm getting my 60-F in tomorrow...I'm psyched, I'm loving these shallow tanks!

Thanks rbaby I love seeing all these new shallow tanks too!! Do you have any specific plans for the 60-f??

Do you have any pics of you're filtration? Im working on a similar setup with a 9 g ADA and lily pipes. IM trying to decide either to use a 10 g sump or a Fluvial canister filter

Do you have any pics of you're filtration? Im working on a similar setup with a 9 g ADA and lily pipes. IM trying to decide either to use a 10 g sump or a Fluvial canister filter

I don't have any right now but I can try. The sump is behind my tank stand so it's kind of difficult to photograph and doesn't look that great :P Here's a pretty comprehensive post from a couple pages back of the advantages and disadvantages of the canister filter from my experiences that maybe will help you with your decision!

"I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, but your tank has really inspired me. I'm planning a build right now, and have been going back and forth between filtration options.

Okay so here's the Q's

1. How did the Lily Pipes work for you overall?

2. What are your opinions for pros/cons with Canister Filters (specifically your model)?

3. What are some reasons you switched to the overflow and sump config?

Yeah no problem I'm glad I can help inspire you!!"

1. They worked very well overall. They can be a pain because the algae builds up on them pretty quick and it was annoying having to put new zip ties on every time I wanted to clean them but as long as you have one of the spring washers they are not that difficult to clean. I also just did a vinegar+water soak and it really helped to take a lot of the hard algae off. Unfortunately they are very fragile When I was cleaning out my canister after I had the sump setup I accidentally knocked the inflow pipe into the sink and the bottom part with the slits broke off. Luckily the edges aren't sharp at all and only the one piece broke off but I was still pretty pissed. Granted I could probably super glue it back on or find some kind of fix, I was still really mad at myself for doing it. So that's really the only risk you take with the lily pipes.

2.Pros: Keeps you water very clear and allows you to keep an inline heater as well as almost any non-pressurized media and filter floss while maintaining the clean "ADA" look. They're also pretty quiet and the maintenance is pretty simple and only adds maybe 5-10 minutes to the normal weekly water change. I was very happy with my particular model as it was easy to clean out , easy to connect and disconnect, and never had any leaks or problems.

Cons: You have to clean it every week. If you don't do this the filter floss will be pretty gross and some detritus will begin to build up in the canister. Also I didn't realize how much surface scum I had until I started running the overflow and sump. It's not that it ever got that bad as long as the surface is being agitated but it's definitely better and super clear now with the overflow.

3. I switched to the sump mainly to be able to have a skimmer and get the ATO out of the display. I also figure I'll be able to use this sump for most of my setups in the future and I have plenty of room for other equipment that I feel I may need. I also feel this is as clean of a look as I will get with only the MP10 and MAME being visible. I probably would have started with this originally but when this tanked was started I was still in college and having to move the tank, sump, and all of the equipment which would have been too difficult. Also if you're nervous about plumbing and things like that the canister is a much simpler choice and is pretty easy to understand. If you want to go really simple then I would suggest the canister as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Another quick point is that inline heaters are the best! I never had a single problem with it and it held the temperature super steady all the time. I would have kept using it with my sump but with the way I set up my MAME it doesn't have a good place to mount to.

I know this is a pretty long post but it does sum up my experience will the canister/lily/inline pretty well so hopefully you and others can benefit from it! Let me know if you have any other questions!

• 2 weeks later...

You couldn't have said it any better about the canister set up. You should put that in a new post in the equipment forum and have it stickied!

teamschreiba
update?!? more pics!! :naughtydance:

I was down at Virginia Tech for the week and for the clemson game and just got back today so if I have time tomorrow I'll try and get a few more shots! I'm contemplating some big changes in liverock/scape though and will update you guys and ask for some opinions if I decide something :happy:

teamschreiba
You couldn't have said it any better about the canister set up. You should put that in a new post in the equipment forum and have it stickied!

Thanks! Are you having pretty much the same experiences with your canister?

That's not a bad idea though I feel like everyone should read it before considering a canister. I would have liked to have all that information in one post instead of having to research and search through lots of threads.

teamschreiba
Picture two is really nice. B) sweet set up you got there.

Thanks Joel I appreciate it!! That acro's tips have really started to show significant growth recently :happy:

thanks to you my 60-F is T-2wks from my reveal, i would have kept a log but my wife is on a foreign trip and took our only camera. what's a thread w/o pics :huh:?

teamschreiba
your current avatar is better :D

I agree! I'm heading down again this weekend for the Miami game which will hopefully be better than this past weekend.

I'm definitely excited to get some SPS in my tank as well. Glad to hear you're getting growth!

Thanks and good luck with your SPS!

thanks to you my 60-F is T-2wks from my reveal, i would have kept a log but my wife is on a foreign trip and took our only camera. what's a thread w/o pics :huh:?

Congrats!! And yeah every thread needs lots of pics even if they're just from a cell phone :P

teamschreiba

Some updates:

I had been dealing with a cyano problem that I thought was due to the dead mangroves which did clear it up some but not completely. So yesterday when I was cleaning up the sump I placed the carbon I'm using in the filter sock instead of just sitting in a bag in the sump. Well that appeared to do the trick! It cleared up basically in 6-8 hours and does not appear to be coming back!

I also took the plunge this morning and decided to break up the GSP rock. It's about 1/3 the original size now but the way it broke up there's a nice cove in the front so I moved the clam to be in that cove which I think looks much better than having the clam just in the corner of the tank. Now I have the itch to break up the other rocks but that would be 100 times more work since those rocks are covered in encrusted corals. I'll try and get a picture up once I clean the MAME to see what you guys think :happy:

teamschreiba

I know a couple people asked for a picture of my sump awhile ago so here it is. Definitely not very "ADA" but it's the only shot of it I can get :P

6214882345_9619d27840_z.jpg

Chamber 1: Filter sock with floss and carbon, skimmer, sock with a small amount of purigen

Chamber 2: Mangroves, chaeto, clip-on refugium light, some live rock

Chamber 3: Return pump, heater, ATO

teamschreiba
Love your tank, schreiba. Very inspirational in the development of my rimless cube.

Thanks ayobreezie glad I could help!! Be sure to keep your thread updated with lots of pics ;)

teamschreiba
cool new photos

I"m looking to sell my xsi and get a T3 as well. how do you like it?

Thanks! I have a t3i and it's perfect for what I do. The flip out LCD can be useful especially for top down shots or weird angles around the tank. I also got the battery grip and it gives the camera a much better feel and it's now easier for me to hold. Don't forget about lenses though because that's what really counts! If you click one of my photos it should take you to my Flickr which has more than just aquarium shots. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you have about it too :happy:

New October FTS:

6218962528_e75d0f230b_z.jpg

I know the GSP isn't completely opened but since I cleaned the MAME today I wanted to do an FTS.

Archived