SaltCritters.com

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Awesome photo! Though I would recommend everyone to click on it and hit 'magnify' to view in Large, full screen format. Hard to see how lovely it is on the small forum pic. I also like how in the Original size pic, you can see a bit of algae on the glass that didn't get scraped. Makes me happy to know it's not this perfect all the time =0)

That monti in the middle is stunning, I love the way it has grown/fragmented.

Noiiiccee

Thanks man!

Awesome photo! Though I would recommend everyone to click on it and hit 'magnify' to view in Large, full screen format. Hard to see how lovely it is on the small forum pic. I also like how in the Original size pic, you can see a bit of algae on the glass that didn't get scraped. Makes me happy to know it's not this perfect all the time =0)

That monti in the middle is stunning, I love the way it has grown/fragmented.

Thanks castiel, it's much appreciated!!

And you got me :P You should see what the MAME looks like before I clean it...

nice new fts!

what happened to the gsp? just closed?

Thanks marcelo!! And yeah, for some reason a lot of the GSP on this rock just hasn't been doing well since I broke it up.. The two other big pieces in my sump are doing just fine so I may switch that rock out.

Great tank.

Where do you buy your corals from?

Thanks brad! I've gotten my corals from an assortment of places including locally Mr. Coral, Blue Ribbon Koi, and Aquatic Obsession. Also online from Divers Den, Cultivated Reef, and Vivid Aquariums.

I've always loved this tank and pics, of course!

Thanks Spiro it's much appreciated!

Hello @teamschreiba

First, I admire your spirit for reef and ADA60-F. I hope you continue what your doing in the future with ADA60-F. :P

I just wanted to know some informations about ADA60-F tank. If you answer my questions, I would deeply appreciate about it.

1. Some selling firms refers different glass thickness about ADA60-F. These are 4mm, 5mm and 6mm. ADGShop.com refers 6mm glass thickness, Adana-Usa.com refers 5mm glass thickness about that product. Which one is true?

2. ADA60-F do not have rounded corners, am i right?

3. What type of glass using that tank actually? (In my country, people prefer to use extra clear glass with extra money for better looking)

4. Because of that i cannot purchase ADA60-F in my country, i just want to do it myself with extra clear glass. Is there any tip or idea about my thoughts?

Thank you for helping me.

Peace,

arthu12

Note: English is not my native language. Because of that sometimes i may not express myself clearly.

I want a monti cap because yours is so pretty--but...I'm quickly running out of room. I don't know how you did it--I have 2 visible stockable sides and I'm already out of ROOM!!!! How did you do it with 1 side!!! I added a new FTS so you can see my problem, I wouldn't know where to place a monti if I had one knocking on my door...

Hello @teamschreiba

First, I admire your spirit for reef and ADA60-F. I hope you continue what your doing in the future with ADA60-F. :P

I just wanted to know some informations about ADA60-F tank. If you answer my questions, I would deeply appreciate about it.

1. Some selling firms refers different glass thickness about ADA60-F. These are 4mm, 5mm and 6mm. ADGShop.com refers 6mm glass thickness, Adana-Usa.com refers 5mm glass thickness about that product. Which one is true?

2. ADA60-F do not have rounded corners, am i right?

3. What type of glass using that tank actually? (In my country, people prefer to use extra clear glass with extra money for better looking)

4. Because of that i cannot purchase ADA60-F in my country, i just want to do it myself with extra clear glass. Is there any tip or idea about my thoughts?

Thank you for helping me.

Peace,

arthu12

Note: English is not my native language. Because of that sometimes i may not express myself clearly.

Thanks arthu! I'll try and answer your questions the best I can...

1. I didn't even notice that there were varying thicknesses. If I had to guess I would say 6mm simply because that's closer to a 1/4".

2. You're correct they are not rounded.

3. It's called "low-iron glass" according to ADA so it is probably a variant of starphire glass.

4. I think it's a great idea to try and make it yourself. I don't have any experience in making aquariums so I cannot comment on how hard it would be. You could ask others on this site who have some experience in making tanks but I have to say you realistically can't expect it to come out as nice as the ADA :P (Although some people on this site have fabricated beautiful tanks)

Good luck!

I want a monti cap because yours is so pretty--but...I'm quickly running out of room. I don't know how you did it--I have 2 visible stockable sides and I'm already out of ROOM!!!! How did you do it with 1 side!!! I added a new FTS so you can see my problem, I wouldn't know where to place a monti if I had one knocking on my door...

Haha I have lots of corals you can't see from the front view. All my acans are in a frag rack I made because I was tired of dealing with them in the sand. I'm thinking about getting rid of the GSP rock altogether and finding a nice flat rock to put them all on.

Your tank is looking great though! Make sure you leave some room for corals to grow because as your tank matures some things will really start to take off. I know it's hard to stop buying new corals though because I always wanted more :P I've managed not to buying anything new for like 4 months which has been pretty tough...

Quick update/question...

As you can see from my FTS progression my orange monti has been lightening in color over the past few months which I attributed to increasingly better water quality. Well now I have two spots on it where the tissue is dying away/STNing. This started from the inside and worked its way out over the past 5 or so days. It is really hard to tell where this is happening though because the tissue is already so light in color. I don't see how it can be monti nudi's because I haven't added anything to the tank in months and my green monti seems to be doing fine. I checked all my parameters and they all seem normal (400 Ca, 7 dKh, 0 N03, 0.02 ppm PO4, 1.025 SG) and I haven't changed my lighting at all recently. I started using a couple Zeo products but I use them pretty sparingly and mainly just to try and get rid of the brown cyano/slime stuff I have in the sand which has been pretty successful. These include coral snow and zeobak with a drop of pohl's extra every once in awhile. So with all this information does anyone have any ideas as to why my Monti would be STNing? Maybe there's something else I need to test for that could be the problem? I appreciate the help!!

I'm going to start removing ones I don't...like *as* much :) HAHA.

Haha I know that feeling! There's a lot of corals I bought when I first started reefing that I think are kind of boring now but it kills me sell/give away corals I've grown out :P

If you need to sell some gsp, I'll drive from Alexandria for some :)

Yeah I have two more rocks with GSP on them in my sump so I'd be glad to sell you one. Just PM me if you're still interested :happy:

Hey @teamschreiba,

I just wanted to ask a few questions to you more. :D

1. I just curious what are your current setup components here. Tank + Sump with Refugium + Canister Filter are your setup components, am i right?

2. You using hydor eth 200 inline heater because of that you have small area to play out there.

3. You only use canister filter for water clarity?

4. As you may remember, I want to custom build ADA tank for myself. I can find extra clear glass with 8mm, thats start point of thickness for extra clear glass in my country. Is there a problem with that?

5. Which protein skimmer should I prefer for my ADA exactly? Can you give me some alternatives? (Reef Octopus, Buuble Magus etc.) But remember I have no alot of money. :huh:

6. I am thinking to purchase Fluval 105 External Canister Filter or Fluval 205 External Canister Filter (small budget solutions) for my setup. Are they enough to go with ADA60-F?

I know i asking questions to you too much but i want to know how's going these things well.

Thank you so much.

Peace,

@arthu12

Hey @teamschreiba,

I just wanted to ask a few questions to you more. :D

1. I just curious what are your current setup components here. Tank + Sump with Refugium + Canister Filter are your setup components, am i right?

2. You using hydor eth 200 inline heater because of that you have small area to play out there.

3. You only use canister filter for water clarity?

4. As you may remember, I want to custom build ADA tank for myself. I can find extra clear glass with 8mm, thats start point of thickness for extra clear glass in my country. Is there a problem with that?

5. Which protein skimmer should I prefer for my ADA exactly? Can you give me some alternatives? (Reef Octopus, Buuble Magus etc.) But remember I have no alot of money. :huh:

6. I am thinking to purchase Fluval 105 External Canister Filter or Fluval 205 External Canister Filter (small budget solutions) for my setup. Are they enough to go with ADA60-F?

I know i asking questions to you too much but i want to know how's going these things well.

Thank you so much.

Peace,

@arthu12

No problem arthu!

1. Right now I'm only running a sump with a refugium, I sold my canister filter when I got my sump.

2. I also sold the inline heater and just run a standard heater in my sump.

3. The canister filter was used primarily for water clarity but also mechanical filtration when I did run it. I had floss, chemipure, and purigen in it at the time.

4. I don't see how 8mm glass would be a problem it would just be slightly more robust than the 60-f but it isn't a huge jump in size.

5. I use a reef octopus but it really is overkill for a tank this size although it has worked great for me. There are some nano skimmers that have been effective for others on this site though that can be had for less than $100. If budget is a concern you could look into picking up a used skimmer too.

6. And yeah both of those are rated for over 20 gallons so they should be enough! Just do a little research and make sure no one has had any problems or issues with them.

I'm glad to help!!

No problem arthu!

1. Right now I'm only running a sump with a refugium, I sold my canister filter when I got my sump.

2. I also sold the inline heater and just run a standard heater in my sump.

3. The canister filter was used primarily for water clarity but also mechanical filtration when I did run it. I had floss, chemipure, and purigen in it at the time.

4. I don't see how 8mm glass would be a problem it would just be slightly more robust than the 60-f but it isn't a huge jump in size.

5. I use a reef octopus but it really is overkill for a tank this size although it has worked great for me. There are some nano skimmers that have been effective for others on this site though that can be had for less than $100. If budget is a concern you could look into picking up a used skimmer too.

6. And yeah both of those are rated for over 20 gallons so they should be enough! Just do a little research and make sure no one has had any problems or issues with them.

I'm glad to help!!

So you were run your setup like only tank + canister filter at the beginning. When your sump came out, you remove your canister filter from your setup and continue your way with your tank + sump with refugium only, am i right about that too? I want to understand your progress right. :D if you run your setup without any protein skimmer or sump, only using canister filter during that time, is it healthy environment? I assume that you wait for biological process completed with your canister filter, and then you remove the canister filter and add your sump + protein skimmer + refugium.

Can I use canister filter and sump with my tank at the same time? For water clarity and double filtration. :P

By the way, I can make custom build aquarium with ADA60-F dimensions and 8mm thickness extra clear glass about only $50. I think its good price?

I did not decide which protein skimmer i buy for it yet. Its tricky question for me. :happy:

I will be keep in touch with you. Thank you so much again.

Peace,

Arthur

So you were run your setup like only tank + canister filter at the beginning. When your sump came out, you remove your canister filter from your setup and continue your way with your tank + sump with refugium only, am i right about that too? I want to understand your progress right. :D if you run your setup without any protein skimmer or sump, only using canister filter during that time, is it healthy environment? I assume that you wait for biological process completed with your canister filter, and then you remove the canister filter and add your sump + protein skimmer + refugium.

Can I use canister filter and sump with my tank at the same time? For water clarity and double filtration. :P

By the way, I can make custom build aquarium with ADA60-F dimensions and 8mm thickness extra clear glass about only $50. I think its good price?

I did not decide which protein skimmer i buy for it yet. Its tricky question for me. :happy:

I will be keep in touch with you. Thank you so much again.

Peace,

Arthur

Yeah I began with the canister filter and then made the switch to the sump. You can start out with just the sump/refugium if you want though, there's no real need to have a canister filter. And if you have a sump there's not really a need to have a canister filter at the same time because the sump will work very well for water clarity.

$50 is also a really good price for the tank considering here in the USA it costs $90 and then $30-$40 shipping too.

Good luck with the tank build and your skimmer decision too!!

:o

Yeah I began with the canister filter and then made the switch to the sump. You can start out with just the sump/refugium if you want though, there's no real need to have a canister filter. And if you have a sump there's not really a need to have a canister filter at the same time because the sump will work very well for water clarity.

$50 is also a really good price for the tank considering here in the USA it costs $90 and then $30-$40 shipping too.

Good luck with the tank build and your skimmer decision too!!

Thank you for your help Schreiba. ;)

I just decided to make my new aquarium from normal glass with 4mm thickness, only bottom line will be 6mm thickness. It'll cost me only about 20$ and I'll build up in this week.. I can buy a second hand cheap canister filter with some media from my friend. A good protein skimmer has higher price than canister filter here. I do not know but if I cannot balance my budget enough, I will go with tank + canister filter setup,

Yes, 50$ is cheap with 8mm thickness extra clear glass custom build ADA tank but there were some reasons for choosing normal glass with 4mm thickness. Tank dimension is so small, extra clear glass needs large dimension and thickness to show its magic on the aquarium. Because of that I choose normal glass with 4mm thickness with my tank.

If I do not like normal glass results for it, I'll continue my way with extra clear glass with 8mm thickness. (; One way or other, two prices are cheap for them. (;

I also have RSM130, this one will be my new guest. (;

:o

Yes, 8mm thickness extra clear glass with ADA60-F dimensions from only 50$. 4mm thickness normal glass with ADA60-F dimensions from only 20$.

Its pretty good price lol. ((;

kristonenicolas

Love your tank!

I had a couple questions: are you still using an ikea stand? How is it holding up? Also, how did you install your light fixture? Is it installed onto the stand?

I'd appreciate any help! Thank you!

Thank you for your help Schreiba. ;)

I just decided to make my new aquarium from normal glass with 4mm thickness, only bottom line will be 6mm thickness. It'll cost me only about 20$ and I'll build up in this week.. I can buy a second hand cheap canister filter with some media from my friend. A good protein skimmer has higher price than canister filter here. I do not know but if I cannot balance my budget enough, I will go with tank + canister filter setup,

Yes, 50$ is cheap with 8mm thickness extra clear glass custom build ADA tank but there were some reasons for choosing normal glass with 4mm thickness. Tank dimension is so small, extra clear glass needs large dimension and thickness to show its magic on the aquarium. Because of that I choose normal glass with 4mm thickness with my tank.

If I do not like normal glass results for it, I'll continue my way with extra clear glass with 8mm thickness. (; One way or other, two prices are cheap for them. (;

I also have RSM130, this one will be my new guest. (;

Yes, 8mm thickness extra clear glass with ADA60-F dimensions from only 50$. 4mm thickness normal glass with ADA60-F dimensions from only 20$.

Its pretty good price lol. ((;

I'm glad you got it all figured out! Make sure you start a build thread and take lots of pictures once you get going :happy:

Love your tank!

I had a couple questions: are you still using an ikea stand? How is it holding up? Also, how did you install your light fixture? Is it installed onto the stand?

I'd appreciate any help! Thank you!

Thanks! And yes I still am using the ikea stand. I actually painted to 2x4's black and screwed them into the back of the stand and then attached the lights to that. I didn't want to drill into the ikea stand and I was worried it wouldn't hold up as well.

I'm also headed to Aruba for a week tomorrow which includes doing some snorkeling near some reefs! I wish I had an underwater case for my DSLR so I could take pictures...

But I'll be taking my camera with me so hopefully I can post some pictures of everything else when I get back :happy:

Happy Holidays to everyone!!

Archived