Top Shelf Aquatics

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

teamschreiba
The tank looks great! Glad the MAME is working out for you.

Thanks again!! It's working perfectly so far, I had to use a little makeshift silencer but now it's running really quietly :happy:

Waiting on my wife leaving for Paris to start working on this baby, will definitely drill this biatch

Nice! I can't wait to see your progress.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

so clean! so simple! your tank is inspirational...

I had a taller tank just like yours and got tired of it and went down a similar route

Keep it up

the photos are incredible. What are you shooting with?

teamschreiba
so clean! so simple! your tank is inspirational...

I had a taller tank just like yours and got tired of it and went down a similar route

Keep it up

the photos are incredible. What are you shooting with?

Thanks marcelo!! I'm shooting with a Canon T3i and if you take a look at the last page I describe the new lens I just purchased :happy:

teamschreiba
How's the evaporation with the HQI? You need to get the FTS with equipment up!

Tank is looking beautiful as always!

J

Thanks!! My lighting is a little over 12" above the water so I don't think it has much effect on the temperature or evap on the tank. However, since it has been really hot here in Virginia and since I added more surface area with the sump I have been having a ton of evaporation recently.

I'm away for the weekend though so the FTS with all the equipment will be up either Sunday or Monday :happy:

teamschreiba
Did you ever get around to taking some detailed pics of your sump setup? Me want!

I'll try and take some tomorrow along with the full stand/lighting shot!!

teamschreiba

Here it is!

5999700302_9f99079499_z.jpg

I know the stand looks really dark in the picture but if I brightened the picture the whole tank/sand would be completely blown out. You can see how the sump is behind the stand and up against the wall which makes it difficult to take pictures of. I'll try and take out the bin I have in the bottom left corner and the top off container in the bottom right corner and try and get a shot of the sump through there. The other thing I can do is take a shot when the tank lights are off but it is still bright in the room so you can see the stand better. Just let me know if you guys want a shot like that!

teamschreiba
Forget the tank, I'd look through a thread full of your photography! Oh, your aquarium is fantastic too. Very clean!

Thanks aaron!! I'm trying to get more into photography other than just taking pictures of my tank so maybe eventually I'll get around to starting a "teamschreiba photography thread" :P

teamschreiba
Nice FTS!

Thanks dkny!

Real nice looking tank. Great photography. Anymore plans for the tank?

Thanks Twilton. I don't really have many right now other than letting the corals grow out more. I picked up some more mangroves for the sump as well as chaeto and I need to buy a light for the sump.

Beautiful! Love the new FTS. That shot makes the display look like a work of art.

Thanks Chris! That's the look I was going for with the MAME/sump and I think it worked out pretty well :happy:

Ah cool cool, i love having time to sit back and watch everything grow. It always feels good after you have had your hands in moving and changing things.

How are you finding your sump compared to your canister filter?

Iv been running a canister for about 6 months now and love it, but i know i will want a sump soon haha. Filtration etc... :)

teamschreiba
Ah cool cool, i love having time to sit back and watch everything grow. It always feels good after you have had your hands in moving and changing things.

How are you finding your sump compared to your canister filter?

Iv been running a canister for about 6 months now and love it, but i know i will want a sump soon haha. Filtration etc... :)

I'm really loving the sump so far. There is no surface scum at all now with the overflow whereas before the surface was never totally clear (it was never really bad either but it's noticeably better now). It's also much more convenient at water change time since I don't have to worry about cleaning the canister out. I just change out the floss in the filter sock and change the water. My skimmer is starting to work as well which is good to know I have added filtration that I didn't have before with the canister. One last benefit is having the ATO out of the display makes my tank look that much better!

And honestly once you have the sump setup it's simpler than the canister filter it's just more complex and more money to setup initially.

Thanks for your reply, What do you run in your sump? do you have a refugium or anything? i might have seen a picture but no sure on which page haha. I will have a skim over your thread :).

Very tempted now.... :P

Oh what about noise too? the only other thing that concerns me is that i have my tank right next to my bed? would noise be an issue do you think? As my canister only has a faint hum to it.

Thanks again.

teamschreiba
Thanks for your reply, What do you run in your sump? do you have a refugium or anything? i might have seen a picture but no sure on which page haha. I will have a skim over your thread :).

Very tempted now.... :P

Oh what about noise too? the only other thing that concerns me is that i have my tank right next to my bed? would noise be an issue do you think? As my canister only has a faint hum to it.

Thanks again.

First chamber: Filter sock and skimmer

Second chamber: Mangroves and chaeto

Third chamber: Chemipure, Tunze ATO, heater, and return pump

And yeah I don't have a picture of the sump but I'll try and get one up soon!

The noise is more than a canister though. I had to do the "pill bottle gasket" silencer for the MAME which made it run very quiet. I also have floss in the filter sock to quiet the water coming into the sump. The only dripping I can hear is the water coming out of the skimmer and I've tried a few methods to quiet that without adding any back pressure on the skimmer and it has made it better but not perfect. It's not as silent as the canister but it's not bad either. Since you tank is next to your bed, I would research some skimmers to make sure you don't get one that is known for being loud. Same with the return pump as some can be noisy. My eheim is great though it makes absolutely no noise!

Thankyou very much, going to do it within the next few weeks haha :happy:

I think im going to follow the same kind of sump design of you :) it seems to be working for you and everything so im more than happy to give it a go.

I havent ever run a skimmer on any of my tanks, in my case i have never really seemed to need it however like you said with surface scum i maybe would see a difference when its on, but for now i might try it without and see how it goes.

teamschreiba
Thankyou very much, going to do it within the next few weeks haha :happy:

I think im going to follow the same kind of sump design of you :) it seems to be working for you and everything so im more than happy to give it a go.

I havent ever run a skimmer on any of my tanks, in my case i have never really seemed to need it however like you said with surface scum i maybe would see a difference when its on, but for now i might try it without and see how it goes.

Glad I can help!! Do you know where you're going to get your sump from?

And this is my first skimmer too so. I know it's not really necessary on a tank this small but I want to do everything I can to keep the water clean.

Im based in the Uk, so getting a sump shipped over is more effort then it's worth, but in fairness i havent looked into this at all so i might have a little look in and see. But i think the more likely option is that i will make my own.

I have had experience with using silicone, as i have made my own tank and sump before so hopefully it will turn out good. It's the overflow im thinking about, im not really sure how im going to do this i dont fancy taking my tank down and drilling it...

I will probably buy a standard tank and silicone the four baffles in :happy:

teamschreiba
Im based in the Uk, so getting a sump shipped over is more effort then it's worth, but in fairness i havent looked into this at all so i might have a little look in and see. But i think the more likely option is that i will make my own.

I have had experience with using silicone, as i have made my own tank and sump before so hopefully it will turn out good. It's the overflow im thinking about, im not really sure how im going to do this i dont fancy taking my tank down and drilling it...

I will probably buy a standard tank and silicone the four baffles in :happy:

Yeah making a DIY one sounds like your best option especially since you have experience. I felt the same way about drilling since my tank was already setup. There's a couple other choices for overflows, I know one is the eshopps model.

Archived