Cultivated Reef

Schreiba's ADA 60-F

teamschreiba

teamschreiba
Got my 60-f today ;)

Nice!! Are you going to get a build thread going soon or do you still need more equipment??

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today it's my b day so I'm trying to get lucky, Twice with my wife buying me some more equip and you should know how else. :lol:

teamschreiba
Today it's my b day so I'm trying to get lucky, Twice with my wife buying me some more equip and you should know how else. :lol:

Haha I think I know what you're saying ;) Good luck and happy bday!!

teamschreiba
Bowchikawowow :lol:

Any updates on the overflow/sump system? Were you able to test a false "power outage"?

I have the water level a little lower now because it was too close to the edge as you could see in the FTS. But I know if I leave the pump off a lot of water will drain out so I don't want it to drain too much. I ordered a check valve though so once that is in place I'll do a true "power outage" test where I leave the pump off for a little while. I'm learning how to tune the skimmer a little better too since I've never had one before although I know they need a break-in period. I'll try and take some pictures but they won't be very exciting since the sump is behind my stand and I don't have anything in the refugium yet :P

Pics are always welcome!

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, but your tank has really inspired me. I'm planning a build right now, and have been going back and forth between filtration options.

Okay so here's the Q's

1. How did the Lily Pipes work for you overall?

2. What are your opinions for pros/cons with Canister Filters (specifically your model)?

3. What are some reasons you switched to the overflow and sump config?

teamschreiba
Pics are always welcome!

I hope you don't mind me asking a few questions, but your tank has really inspired me. I'm planning a build right now, and have been going back and forth between filtration options.

Okay so here's the Q's

1. How did the Lily Pipes work for you overall?

2. What are your opinions for pros/cons with Canister Filters (specifically your model)?

3. What are some reasons you switched to the overflow and sump config?

Yeah no problem I'm glad I can help inspire you!!

1. They worked very well overall. They can be a pain because the algae builds up on them pretty quick and it was annoying having to put new zip ties on every time I wanted to clean them but as long as you have one of the spring washers they are not that difficult to clean. I also just did a vinegar+water soak and it really helped to take a lot of the hard algae off. Unfortunately they are very fragile :( When I was cleaning out my canister after I had the sump setup I accidentally knocked the inflow pipe into the sink and the bottom part with the slits broke off. Luckily the edges aren't sharp at all and only the one piece broke off but I was still pretty pissed. Granted I could probably super glue it back on or find some kind of fix, I was still really mad at myself for doing it. So that's really the only risk you take with the lily pipes.

2.Pros: Keeps you water very clear and allows you to keep an inline heater as well as almost any non-pressurized media and filter floss while maintaining the clean "ADA" look. They're also pretty quiet and the maintenance is pretty simple and only adds maybe 5-10 minutes to the normal weekly water change. I was very happy with my particular model as it was easy to clean out , easy to connect and disconnect, and never had any leaks or problems.

Cons: You have to clean it every week. If you don't do this the filter floss will be pretty gross and some detritus will begin to build up in the canister. Also I didn't realize how much surface scum I had until I started running the overflow and sump. It's not that it ever got that bad as long as the surface is being agitated but it's definitely better and super clear now with the overflow.

3. I switched to the sump mainly to be able to have a skimmer and get the ATO out of the display. I also figure I'll be able to use this sump for most of my setups in the future and I have plenty of room for other equipment that I feel I may need. I also feel this is as clean of a look as I will get with only the MP10 and MAME being visible. I probably would have started with this originally but when this tanked was started I was still in college and having to move the tank, sump, and all of the equipment which would have been too difficult. Also if you're nervous about plumbing and things like that the canister is a much simpler choice and is pretty easy to understand. If you want to go really simple then I would suggest the canister as long as you keep up with the maintenance.

Another quick point is that inline heaters are the best! I never had a single problem with it and it held the temperature super steady all the time. I would have kept using it with my sump but with the way I set up my MAME it doesn't have a good place to mount to.

I know this is a pretty long post but it does sum up my experience will the canister/lily/inline pretty well so hopefully you and others can benefit from it! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Thank you so much! I kept searching a few forums to find pros/cons and never could find a solid answer - until now!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the overflow run you? If you do mind than just ignore my question :)

awesome tank its awesome to see shallow adas

just ordered a 45-f

any ideas for lighting if i wanted to do sps like yourself?

teamschreiba
Thanks for the Info Schreiba.That answered some of my questions too.

Glad I could help swull! I started writing the post and I was like man this is going to be a long one. But I hope it can help a lot of people out who are thinking about using that type of setup.

Wow that looks sexy with the Mame on there!

Thanks MGD!!

Thank you so much! I kept searching a few forums to find pros/cons and never could find a solid answer - until now!

If you don't mind me asking, how much did the overflow run you? If you do mind than just ignore my question :)

Yeah no problem! I'm happy to share my experiences with other reefers :happy: I'll PM you about the overflow too.

teamschreiba
awesome tank its awesome to see shallow adas

just ordered a 45-f

any ideas for lighting if i wanted to do sps like yourself?

Thanks Mr. zissou! Considering the 45-f is a pretty small tank I would probably do some DIY LED's or one of the small LED pendants if you're not into the DIY stuff. I'm pretty sure any MH would be pretty overkill for that small of a tank but maybe if you found a good 70W fixture that could work too. PAR38's are good as well I just didn't have great success with them and acros but that could have been due to something else in my tank not necessarily the lighting.

Hey u are an inspiration

I will begin my tank thread next week most likely.

Here it’s a link to the stand, I know this stand it's not going to support the weight but been good at carpentry (actually my only DIY skill) I will recreate this stand with some minor mods. If I can manage to dedicate 3 hrs/wk to the stand and then the drilling and save some money for the Kessil (1 or 2?) it should have wet water in January.

I’m overly excited... :lockdown:omgomgomg:happydance::naughtydance:

teamschreiba
Hey u are an inspiration

I will begin my tank thread next week most likely.

Here it’s a link to the stand, I know this stand it's not going to support the weight but been good at carpentry (actually my only DIY skill) I will recreate this stand with some minor mods. If I can manage to dedicate 3 hrs/wk to the stand and then the drilling and save some money for the Kessil (1 or 2?) it should have wet water in January.

I’m overly excited... :lockdown:omgomgomg:happydance::naughtydance:

That stand looks pretty cool! Would you be putting the tank on the middle level? It's good you're planning it out and taking it slowly though, as much as I know everyone wants their tank setup right away :P

the tank will be on the top (last shelf) the fuge will be on the "square" below, if everything works as planned the fuge will be a display fuge as well.

lighting wise, you think 1 or 2 kessil?

im heading to HD tonight to see if they have the wood that i want.

teamschreiba
the tank will be on the top (last shelf) the fuge will be on the "square" below, if everything works as planned the fuge will be a display fuge as well.

lighting wise, you think 1 or 2 kessil?

im heading to HD tonight to see if they have the wood that i want.

That sounds pretty cool with a display fuge. I'm not too familiar with the kessil's so it is hard for me to say. I know that one PAR38 was not nearly enough for the 60-F so I'm not sure how much coverage you typically get out of a kessil. You could always start with one then if you think you need another just get it at a later time and make sure whatever you have in mind for a fixture is capable of supporting two.

teamschreiba

Here's a couple new growth/color up shots :happy:

6/10/11:

5818802007_81beb457bb_z.jpg

7/20/11:

5959772028_5f361195bd_z.jpg

5/5/11:

5689519208_39725920cf_z.jpg

6/30/11:

5889102018_3779cb328e_z.jpg

7/20/11:

5959776986_224021fd05_z.jpg

teamschreiba

Me too! The blue acro is probably 1" and the ponape birdsnest is about 1.5". Both have really started to take off recently though especially the birdsnest.

Me too! The blue acro is probably 1" and the ponape birdsnest is about 1.5". Both have really started to take off recently though especially the birdsnest.

That's awesome. They look so much bigger in your pictures lol.

teamschreiba
That's awesome. They look so much bigger in your pictures lol.

Yeah that's probably the macro lens and the fact that the 60-F always looks bigger than it is :P The ponape birdsnest also has much smaller branches than a regular green birdsnest so.

Hey, do you know how deep the tank from the inside is? I know its 7” from the outside but measured from the inside? Idk

teamschreiba
Hey, do you know how deep the tank from the inside is? I know its 7” from the outside but measured from the inside? Idk

I just looked up the glass thickness and it says 5mm which is about 0.2", so assuming the bottom glass is the same thickness it would be 6.8" from the inside.

Archived