Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I saw a drilled Edge over on the Planted Tank forum in the Official Edge thread. It was through the perspex rim as an overflow, very easy to do if that's were you want to drill.

I received my Rena 50W heater today, even with the filter rack out and the bottom of the heater removed it is way way to long to fit in the HOB. Has the physical specification of the Hydor changed in the last 12 months? As mine is very much longer than the one shown by PicoD, yes it's definitely a 50W. Are there any other options that anyone knows about to fit in the HOB, I really want to keep a heater out of the tank if I can

Edited by colinlp
I received my Rena 50W heater today, even with the filter rack out and the bottom of the heater removed it is way way to long to fit in the HOB. Has the physical specification of the Hydor changed in the last 12 months? As mine is very much longer than the one shown by PicoD, yes it's definitely a 50W. Are there any other options that anyone knows about to fit in the HOB, I really want to keep a heater out of the tank if I can

Hydor MINI HEATER 7.5watt

Hydor MINI HEATER 15watt

My local Wal-mart has a very stubby 50W heater that can fit in the HOB. Only thing is its a noadjustable preset temp, although the box claims the preset is anywhere from 75-78 deg, I tried several and they all seem to be set on the low end 75 deg.

well i have a plan to make an external over flow for my edge......

i ordered the silicone and my glass is being cut this week

i will make a 'HOW TO THREAD' throughout the process for all you who would like to do it your self along with the dimensions and everything needed

-MPevine11

No, air exchange on those tanks is very low due to the small surface area of the water. A small improvement would be to remove the lit off the AC20. This will give you a bit more surface area. Also more fequent water changes add air.

Thanks Riley007

hello everyone, i have an edge, been set up as a shrimp tank, and softies woth 2 10 watt 50/50 coralife screw in pcs, cheto in the aquaclear, the tank works great, but...

I WANT TO DRILL!!!

any1 drill the edge yet?

want to know how it worked for them

thanks all :)

great tanks btw

I've drilled my Edge and have an overflow installed. Works great! I'll be posting a how to on it soon.

Thanks Riley007

Your welcome

well i have a plan to make an external over flow for my edge......

i ordered the silicone and my glass is being cut this week

i will make a 'HOW TO THREAD' throughout the process for all you who would like to do it your self along with the dimensions and everything needed

-MPevine11

I'm just waiting for my internal overflow to come back from the cutters. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the drawings.

Well after many hours searching the only realistic options for me here in the UK was either an ultra cheap made in China heater or an Aquamedic 100W titanium heater only which will just about fit into the HOB if I raise the overflow height a little and an ATC-300 controller. I've been using the ATC-300 for the heating of our 200 gallon discus tank and have been very happy with it. It has a digital read out, alarms and a 24 hour timer which can control the lighting too so a few less wires showing can't be bad

I'm using the same heater in the stock AC20 and it works perfectly. Originally had it in the tank replacing the intake, but saw PicoD's thread and moved it to the filter. Is your AC20 compartment completely emptied out? And you removed the bottom piece from the heater? I think there's a clear shot showing how it fits in the compartment on her thread. I can post one as well if you can't find it.

Thanks, yes I have seen it. My Rena with the basket strainer on doesn't actually fit in the tank vertically, looking at the proportions of the thing the bottom heater section looks a lot longer, I wonder if this is a UK 240V thing? Even with the basket off the entire thermostat section is completely out of the water whereas o Picod's the dial is neatly at the level of the overflow.

kriskristofferzen
Here is my new refugium light for the canister hooked up to my EDGE. I replaced a 7w POS under-cabinet light with a clean new 11w 6500k CFL spotlight attached to the stand. I'm really happy with this new mod!

5425072233_a84998453b.jpg

That is an awesome little mod! I really like the use of the filter for a fuge. i have really only used eheim canisters (2211, 2232, 2213). Are all the Rena Star filters clear or did you make something and place the canister filter top on the top of it? Thanks and I hope the tank is going well

Hey guy's quick question for you, do you think the wave Niagara Skimmer 280 will fit the box at the back without gutting the lighting arm?

http://www.stm-shop.co.uk/acatalog/Skimmers.html

its 175mm high, 145mm width and 120mm depth

but i cant find any info on the fluval edge filter and can't find a dam tape measure :angry: If someone could do a quick measure up for me I would be soooo greatful :D

Very first SW tank :o Just bought the Edge, have it set up empty. I'm pretty excited! Going to wait to start it until we get it's stand. I want to change the lights like everyone else. I'll be keeping up on this thread. :)

i didn't want to drill.....one small bump of the pipe or anything and you have a cracked fluval edge, so i have something different planned.......

go on.... :-) leaving me on the edge of my seat. The flu-val edge :-) +1 for a corny joke :D

Thought someone here might get some use out of this.

Ive got an extra base, column, hood, and stock lightbar silver in color that id like to get rid of. Everything except the tank and filter. id take $25 + shipping ($8-$10).

PM me if interested.

I've drilled my Edge and have an overflow installed. Works great! I'll be posting a how to on it soon.

Your welcome

I'm just waiting for my internal overflow to come back from the cutters. I'll post a pic tomorrow of the drawings.

Definitely keep us posted!! Did you drill for the overflow and return??? Im fixin to start my build and really want to drill the return so theres no tubing going up and over = more room for lighting.

Most of us run a 240, or a mp10 lowest setting. I would think 70X flow would just give you an underwater tornado. If you want that much flow I would at least say get two 240s for more turbulent flow, I have seen that in an Edge.

Most of us run a 240, or a mp10 lowest setting. I would think 70X flow would just give you an underwater tornado. If you want that much flow I would at least say get two 240s for more turbulent flow, I have seen that in an Edge.

Yeah, I ended up returning the 425 for a 240. I didn't want to blow the stripes off the clown. He seems happy for now with it.

Anyone have any trouble keeping a clown fish in this tank? I wanted a blue spotted jawfish but don't really want to have to accommodate it. I will probably be going with a snowflake if I get one and don't want it to be unhappy.

Anyone have any trouble keeping a clown fish in this tank? I wanted a blue spotted jawfish but don't really want to have to accommodate it. I will probably be going with a snowflake if I get one and don't want it to be unhappy.

Nope granted I only have one and Ive tried to maximize swimming space as much as possible. Ive only had him for a short while now but he (she) seems like he's doing very well. I plan to get an other at some point.

"any1 drill the edge yet?"

I drilled mine. The Edge is perfect for this, as the top lip sits above the visible top of the tank. I cut two holes to fit 45 degree PVC elbows into the top (plastic lip) of the tank, which drain down to my 12 gallon refugium (a $5.00 clear plastic storage tub). This is very easy to do and I'll post some pics and details when I get a chance.