Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

OKAY, I'm NO expert and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible... wouldn't this solution work?

/Users/emilylayton/Desktop/Aquarium/Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang - eBay (item 130328342899 end time Feb-23-11 01:11:17 PST).webarchive

/Users/emilylayton/Desktop/Aquarium/6" Double-line LED Strip Light BLUE 39 LED Pair - eBay (item 350440559643 end time Feb-23-11 14:39:46 PST).webarchive

Replace the current bulbs with the MR11's and add the bars? SIMPLE..RIGHT?

aww man I didn't do the attaching file right

Okay, can y'all just copy and paste the addresses to your search bar, they worked for me like that :))

If you look into other tread you can see some people have done that, or the mr16s + a 10 watt coralife bulb, but it may not be bright enough for your specific application or you might not like the spotlight effect that it tends to have that will not reach the edges of your tank...There are TONS of mods people do. Just search Fluval Edge and read through other people threads and see what works and fits your needs and how much you can afford. ;)

Yeah, I have researched it to death but I can't really find anything that is EASY. I don't want to do anything but slap some lights on there somehow and plug it in. Everything has to have heatsinks, and this and that and I have no clue how to work those things lol. But Thanks for your input!

Yeah, I have researched it to death but I can't really find anything that is EASY. I don't want to do anything but slap some lights on there somehow and plug it in. Everything has to have heatsinks, and this and that and I have no clue how to work those things lol. But Thanks for your input!

Going through the same thing. I'd love to keep the stock look, but am no way able to rig something up myself, so the other option is to spend the big bucks and get it made custom. Or slap a couple PAR38 bulbs over it, or a fixture like Marineland Reef LED that would sit right on the tank. I'm going to be putting soft corals in only so my lighting doesn't have to be too extreme. Has anyone gooten their 3.6 LED unit from Nanotuners yet? Any pics? That would be my ultimate lighting set up and I'd like to see if it is worth saving fore.

I removed the light arm on mine and added 3 x 20watt Coralife 50/50 Compact Fluorescents mounted inside the hood.

While this isn't totally easy, it isn't too hard either and it cost about $10 plus the cost of the bulbs ($11.00 a piece I think). Of coarse these bulbs will need to be replaced (some say every 6 months) so that figures into the long term cost. I assume LED would last a very long time.

After some emailing between Nanotubers and myself it seems like they can't offer any group buy offers on their fixture :-( but it was worth a shot. My brain says,"Oh bright and shiny." my wallet says,"Just look away"

They offered to split the ground shipping cost thought so if you and your buddies want some that's some savings.

On my thread I have listed, what I think to be the COMPLETE comprehensive list of lighting mods done to a Flu-val Edge.

I'm going ahead and gonna make a LED mod myself.......ugh work.

Edited by hotshot619
OKAY, I'm NO expert and I'm trying to make this as simple as possible... wouldn't this solution work?

/Users/emilylayton/Desktop/Aquarium/Brightest MR11 12 V 10 SMD LED White 160 Lumen Wide Ang - eBay (item 130328342899 end time Feb-23-11 01:11:17 PST).webarchive

/Users/emilylayton/Desktop/Aquarium/6" Double-line LED Strip Light BLUE 39 LED Pair - eBay (item 350440559643 end time Feb-23-11 14:39:46 PST).webarchive

Replace the current bulbs with the MR11's and add the bars? SIMPLE..RIGHT?

aww man I didn't do the attaching file right

Okay, can y'all just copy and paste the addresses to your search bar, they worked for me like that :))

Please be a troll, It only works for your computer because that is the picture location on your computer. If you aren't a troll just upload the image on imageshack or something.

After some emailing between Nanotubers and myself it seems like they can't offer any group buy offers on their fixture :-( but it was worth a shot. My brain says,"Oh bright and shiny." my wallet says,"Just look away"

They offered to split the ground shipping cost thought so if you and your buddies want some that's some savings.

On my thread I have listed, what I think to be the COMPLETE comprehensive list of lighting mods done to a Flu-val Edge.

I'm going ahead and gonna make a LED mod myself.......ugh work.

Good luck, it was kind of fun building mines, but just because it was something new for me.

Here is my Fluval Edge

BAse plumbing with added poly-filter

1 Koralia Nano 240

Fluval heat element

Current USA NovaExtreme T5HO 18 in added yesterday

MR 11 brightest bulb X2 160 lumens each

Current USA 452 acitinic moonlights 3 each

Fiji LR and Playa del Carmen LR (fished out 10 ft of water off the beach)

1 three striped Damsel just out of quarantine for q weeks Rx of Ich

1 Maroon Clownfish

1 Starburst Polyp frag

1 Zoa sp frag

1 peppermint shrimp who dislikes the bright light

lots of dwarf blue leg hermit crabs (from Playa LR)

2 colonies of Porite sp from LR in Playa del carmen

more pics to come

Here are the rest.

Recently purchased a Edge for the GF.. she of course likes all the 'pretty' that the tank is. And doing a lot of homework before buying the edge for her.. I am still reluctant to make my final light mod.

Is there any better ones then the other?

And cost wise.. I dont want it to get super crazy expensive!

and more post t5 lighting

I brought the current usa nova extreme to put on tom of the hood for 50 dollars. Kind of messes up the stock look, but appears to work and is cost effective.

Recently purchased a Edge for the GF.. she of course likes all the 'pretty' that the tank is. And doing a lot of homework before buying the edge for her.. I am still reluctant to make my final light mod.

Is there any better ones then the other?

And cost wise.. I dont want it to get super crazy expensive!

My lighting mod from MIDukes is going to keep the stock look and will only cost 50-60$ As long as your not planning on keeping SPS coral and more of the softies and a few LPS then this is what I decided would work the best with minimal heart and wallet ache.

PicoReef78: I love the look of Maroon Clowns, any problem with it being aggressive yet? I saw one at the LFS and took all my might not to get him.

Sorry I don't know what a "troll" is. Sorry about the pics too

Neet was trying to a &!%^# to you. You have to attach the files by uploading them from your computer via the "insert image" button, or put them on a site like flickr and link them from there.

But anyway, judging from the file names, you want to put in 2 LED MR11s + some blue LED strip(s)? This is definitely an option but you'll probably be limited to mushrooms and zoas. Also, it's a little more work, but wiring a coralife 50/50 there as well would make it look nicer and probably allow you to have more kinds of coral in there. It's not really that hard and doesnt take much time, but it is more than just plug and play.

Anyway, I hope that helps! Good luck with figuring out your lighting!

Hey everyone...

I'm actually doing a little different thing with my Fluval Edge, but wanted to ask a question. I have an extra 2' FishNeedIt 4x24W fixture, and am going to be hanging this a couple inches off of my fluval edge, which using the MR11 LEDs as well. I will preserve the stock hood too. The goal is to make everything stock, just with the T5HO fixture rocking the sides of the tank...

Question is, where is everyone getting their MR11 Cree LED lights from. The one website I have seen on here has them on back order and hasn't gotten them in since.... I would like to order 2 of them, but can't find anyplace to order them from!

edit: I just found these actually, are these as comparable, in cool white, in wide spread?

http://www.ledwaves.com/Illum-2.0-MR-11-LE...ED-p-19804.html

Edited by xtlosx

Can anyone post a picture of a tank setup with JUST the MR11 led lights in place? I have searched this thread, and searched through the boards for MR11.. I cannot find a picture of just MR11 mod

I'm sort of looking for the cheapskate way out of this one for the time being. And I don't want to CRAM mr16's into the socket.. Yes it works.. No its not supposed to be in there.

This tank is not going to be a showpiece tank yet.. I want something temporary, I will be moving in a few months!

hey,

i am reading mr11 in here all the time... why dont you choose some mr16s? have alot more lumen and also fit in the stocked hood.

Youre right, MR16s are better but Im pretty sure you have to bend the pins a little or something. The MR16s should be used instead

Youre right, MR16s are better but Im pretty sure you have to bend the pins a little or something. The MR16s should be used instead

So there is no messing around with having to get MR16s in there besides bending the pins? The fluval ballast (or whatever its called) can handle the uptick natively? That was always my apprehension, having to re-wire stuff.

Otherwise, can someone post a link to some good MR16 bulbs that people are using for their Edges? I will be picking up MR16s instead of MR11s if this is all the case.

Thanks, great thread... inspired me to get into reef keeping.

So there is no messing around with having to get MR16s in there besides bending the pins? The fluval ballast (or whatever its called) can handle the uptick natively? That was always my apprehension, having to re-wire stuff.

Otherwise, can someone post a link to some good MR16 bulbs that people are using for their Edges? I will be picking up MR16s instead of MR11s if this is all the case.

Thanks, great thread... inspired me to get into reef keeping.

My bad, you need to replace the sockets with these http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=200.

Apparently it takes about 5 min to switch 'em