Cultivated Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Say a guy came across 3 stock lightbars (dont ask) and wanted to gut them for a custom 6xmr-11 Led build. Obstacles aside. How do you suppose zoanthids and other softies would do under 6 of the commercially available mr11 leds? Maybe 4-white 2-blue.

Edited by MlDukes

Hello all the Flu-val Edge Reefers!

I have been doing extreme research since early December and am just about to start my own journey (will also have a thread).

First I wanted to thank All of you who have posted your experiences from which I have learned a great deal.

I have probably read over a few hundred pages on this hobby and almost all the Flu-val threads.

SO; I am about to start this weekend and just wanted to see if you experts think I have learned enough.

I already got the tank 70$ and 10 gallons of distilled water ready to go.

I'm looking into getting:

Cured Live Rock (6-10lbs) Fuji

Live Sand (3-6lbs)

A Hydrometer (IO)

Oceanic salt

Small Algae magnet

Cora-life Thermometer (digital would be nice, maybe a spare for mixing)

Power head (A Koralia Nano and maybe another of any kind just for mixing)

Salt water testing kits basic and advanced (API)

50w Rena heater

Coralife 50/50 20 watt mini compact

2x 15 blue LED strips (moonlighting)

MR 16 bulbs that most people have running in the edge.

Hopeful future Live stock:

2 Ocellaris clown

Blood Shrimp

2 snails and 4 hermits

Cerith snails seem to be best in oppinion, and Blue and red leg hermits, or possible Scarlett Reef.

Still have time to think about my CUC

Looking into Softies still but have lots of ideas

Lighting for 8-12 hours a day

Feeding M-W-F

One gallon Changes each week

Probably just run poly-fil in the filter

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS......AND LOTS of Patience, .......and money :P

Just thought I would see what you all thought of my research and see if anyone had 2 cents to add or change to my game plan. Hopefully I can be as successful as some of you which I have turned into somewhat of a fan.

Hello all the Flu-val Edge Reefers!

I have been doing extreme research since early December and am just about to start my own journey (will also have a thread).

First I wanted to thank All of you who have posted your experiences from which I have learned a great deal.

I have probably read over a few hundred pages on this hobby and almost all the Flu-val threads.

SO; I am about to start this weekend and just wanted to see if you experts think I have learned enough.

I already got the tank 70$ and 10 gallons of distilled water ready to go.

I'm looking into getting:

Cured Live Rock (6-10lbs) Fuji

Live Sand (3-6lbs)

A Hydrometer (IO)

Oceanic salt

Small Algae magnet

Cora-life Thermometer (digital would be nice, maybe a spare for mixing)

Power head (A Koralia Nano and maybe another of any kind just for mixing)

Salt water testing kits basic and advanced (API)

50w Rena heater

Coralife 50/50 20 watt mini compact

2x 15 blue LED strips (moonlighting)

MR 16 bulbs that most people have running in the edge.

Hopeful future Live stock:

2 Ocellaris clown

Blood Shrimp

2 snails and 4 hermits

Cerith snails seem to be best in oppinion, and Blue and red leg hermits, or possible Scarlett Reef.

Still have time to think about my CUC

Looking into Softies still but have lots of ideas

Lighting for 8-12 hours a day

Feeding M-W-F

One gallon Changes each week

Probably just run poly-fil in the filter

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS......AND LOTS of Patience, .......and money :P

Just thought I would see what you all thought of my research and see if anyone had 2 cents to add or change to my game plan. Hopefully I can be as successful as some of you which I have turned into somewhat of a fan.

Im about a week and a half into my cycle and your list looks almost identical to mine ('cept Im gunna get a skunk shrimp not blood but it's nearly identical after that!). For lighting though, Im planing on building a custom LED fixture with 8 CREE XREs (or possibly Steve's LEDs). Something similar to this thread http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=255517. Should be a little stronger (and IMO a little better looking) than what you have planned but people have definitely had success with that setup--still get awesome colors and coral growth, but you might not be able to grow varieties that require intense lighting (I think that's the caveat with this method, yea?)

Anyway, looks good so far! Start a thread so we can watch (I still gotta do the same!)

Also, why did you choose 2 Ocellaris instead of 2 Perulas? Im still trying to decide which I should go for but havent really come to a complete conclusion yet...

Edited by mmcguffi

Honestly I have not done a huge amount of research on the fish as I'm a month or so away from that, but I can barely tell the color difference apart but I like the Ocellaris more, plus cheaper and that's nice. Also 100% tank raised is the way to go either breed IMHO from research. I'm sure either are great. As for the lighting, I have soldered an Xbox and a flat screen TV and lots of other random things, but as a student I am weary to try the CREE set ups just cause they cost so much and I would want to make it perfect. For now the 30$ worth of MR16 will do me fine. If i find more cash to burn I would like to upgrade that after I get more seasoned in this hobby.

I know quite a few people do actually, and they have had nothing but positive things to say about it, besides the price of course. One user I know that has one is picoD

I know quite a few people do actually, and they have had nothing but positive things to say about it, besides the price of course. One user I know that has one is picoD

I was hoping to run one on the back wall, so the motor portion wouldn't be visible. Obviously, it would have to be to either the left or right side of the tank. So my concern is that it will blow all of my sand to the opposite side.

Can they be dialed down enough that that wouldn't be a problem?

yes it can, it will have to be mounted high but you can dial the rpm down.

note, i have one but testing without it for the time being as my mushrooms were hiding due to too much flow.

I don't recommend this after all, read below.

In an effort to prevent the filter from creating a crater in my sand, and to generate better flow throughout the tank, I came up with this-

459067608_photobucket_32123_.jpg

I took some thin plexi-glass and cut it up in order to create channels and direct the flow to the left and right of the tank.

So far it works very well, and I'm hoping it will be sufficient enough that I can keep some basic corals without a powerhead.

Edit- While this doesn't create additional bubbles at the lowest setting, it does with the filter turned up above 25% or so, which negates doing it for additional flow anyway. So I do not recommend it. I'll leave the pic up as an example of what not to do.

Edited by tmhasara
In an effort to prevent the filter from creating a crater in my sand, and to generate better flow throughout the tank, I came up with this-

459067608_photobucket_32123_.jpg

I took some thin plexi-glass and cut it up in order to create channels and direct the flow to the left and right of the tank.

So far it works very well, and I'm hoping it will be sufficient enough that I can keep some basic corals without a powerhead.

Isn't that going to cause tons of bubbles? You should really get a powerhead sometime soon, it may work temporarily, but won't last.

Isn't that going to cause tons of bubbles? You should really get a powerhead sometime soon, it may work temporarily, but won't last.

I'm not sure. I haven't filled the tank up the whole way yet. I'll post back when I do.

So does anyone have pics of the nanotuners 3.6 LED Edge lights yet? I want to order these before the free shipping is gone. If so please post what light setups you have and your experience with them.

Thanks

So does anyone have pics of the nanotuners 3.6 LED Edge lights yet? I want to order these before the free shipping is gone. If so please post what light setups you have and your experience with them.

Thanks

There are pics on the nanotuners website under the fluval edge product and videos under the driver presale product. looks like it'll be another week or two at best before i receive mine and can post any pictures.

There are pics on the nanotuners website under the fluval edge product and videos under the driver presale product. looks like it'll be another week or two at best before i receive mine and can post any pictures.

Thanks, yeah I actually posted those Youtube videos in this thread. The camera that they use doesn't really show any color variation at all between the different modules (in the video). I'll probably order them today with a few more emails to Nick.

What light setup did you go for and why?

Thanks

Thanks, yeah I actually posted those Youtube videos in this thread. The camera that they use doesn't really show any color variation at all between the different modules (in the video). I'll probably order them today with a few more emails to Nick.

What light setup did you go for and why?

Thanks

Yeah those videos weren't the best but that's all I've been able to find. I went with 2 strips of 50/50 and 1 strip of Blue. Nick said it should give it a 20k look and allow for sunrise/sunset if you're into that thing, I just wanted a bluer look.

+1 on both the colour choice and waiting with an alc ready togo. If fact I have an empty tank and quite a pile of gear now waiting. Just have a few more pieces to collect . . .

Thanks

I'll be receiving mine in a week or two. I went with two strips of blue and one of white per their recommendation. They are going to wire the blue to one potentiometer (or whatever they use), and the white to the other, that way, I can adjust the blue and white completely independently.