Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Hi LLamaslayer

It looks like you got a lot of the basics correct :)

IMHO i would ditch the live sand and definitely get the 50/50 bulb. If you don't, your tank will look kind of yellow.

Hi LLamaslayer

It looks like you got a lot of the basics correct :)

IMHO i would ditch the live sand and definitely get the 50/50 bulb. If you don't, your tank will look kind of yellow.

will the LR be enough to keep the nitrates/nitrites at bay until the bacteria colonizes the sand? how long would this usually add to my cycle stage?

cycling a tank is a bit of a dark art. If you stock the tank slowly you won't even see a cycle. There is WAY to much theory and discussion about cycles then I can possibly type here. A search on NR specifically for cycle times would be your best bet :)

welcome aboard... i am also planning the same thing... any idea what heater you will get... isnt a 50watt more safe with sudden temp. changes... i would like one that fits directly into the aquaclear hang on filter... i just discovered hydro cable heater... would this be possible for a reef tank?

hydor_cable_heating_system.jpg

what's wrong with livesand?

can someone post me the exact size of the hood? know someone who could fix me up with a do it yourself led mod...

the led mod is a simple cut and connect procedure if youre going the mr16 route from my understanding. you just remove the existing mr11 socket and splice the mr16 socket wires into the existing wiring. from what ive seen, you can cut a bit of the inside of the hood out and stick a 50/50 coralife pc bulb in there with a socket from home depot for around $3 along with a blue led strip that ill ziptie somewhere to supplement the lighting. i wont get the 50/50 coralife bulb to begin with but im going to see if the mr16 leds will be enough light to keep the coral healthy. im brand new to the hobby but researching and planning this thoroughly before beginning so i hope this works lol.

as for live sand, thats a good point. thanks for saving me a couple bucks :D! im assuming itll just add a few days to my cycle at worst which is fine with me since im in no rush to have my tank collapse due to being impatient

Edited by Llamaslayer
the led mod is a simple cut and connect procedure if youre going the mr16 route from my understanding. you just remove the existing mr11 socket and splice the mr16 socket wires into the existing wiring. from what ive seen, you can cut a bit of the inside of the hood out and stick a 50/50 coralife pc bulb in there with a socket from home depot for around $3 along with a blue led strip that ill ziptie somewhere to supplement the lighting. i wont get the 50/50 coralife bulb to begin with but im going to see if the mr16 leds will be enough light to keep the coral healthy. im brand new to the hobby but researching and planning this thoroughly before beginning so i hope this works lol.

as for live sand, thats a good point. thanks for saving me a couple bucks :D! im assuming itll just add a few days to my cycle at worst which is fine with me since im in no rush to have my tank collapse due to being impatient

The mr16 LEDs will fit in the mr11 sockets you just have to force them in a little. It's what I did and it works fine for me.

oo thanks for that tip! how are you doing with coral growth with that setup? (just 2 mr16 240 lumen leds im assuming?)

Yeah, that's what I'm using. The coral look good so far though they have not been in the tank for too long, so it's too early to tell if there is any new growth.

Yeah, that's what I'm using. The coral look good so far though they have not been in the tank for too long, so it's too early to tell if there is any new growth.

cool, nice to know! thanks again :)

so i had plans to build a 10 g aio, but after doing the math and judging time came to the conclusion that an edge with led s and a 50/50 would cost me the same but give me the look i'm going for(i'm putting the tank in my shop) so what i need to know is exactly what do i need to purchase if i'm going the mr-11 route do the bulbs just plug right in the same as the halogens? and would the 2 mr-11 and a 50/50 be good enough for some easy sps.

so i had plans to build a 10 g aio, but after doing the math and judging time came to the conclusion that an edge with led s and a 50/50 would cost me the same but give me the look i'm going for(i'm putting the tank in my shop) so what i need to know is exactly what do i need to purchase if i'm going the mr-11 route do the bulbs just plug right in the same as the halogens? and would the 2 mr-11 and a 50/50 be good enough for some easy sps.

forget the mr 11 go for the mr 16's they will also fit - this is what you want:

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=537

nice... please keep us up 2 date with your 2x mr16s... what corals do you have atm?

still looking for a heater that fits in the aquaclear...

I just have a couple of zoa frags and some mushrooms. I to still need a heater, it's going to get cold soon.

IMHO, 6-7k bulbs would not look good, they would be very yellow.

but I personally like a bluer tint in my tank.

6-7k could work if you also add a lot of actinic lights as well :)

IMHO, 6-7k bulbs would not look good, they would be very yellow.

but I personally like a bluer tint in my tank.

6-7k could work if you also add a lot of actinic lights as well :)

ok i just dropped the idea of getting the ones i posted previosly... i think i found the perfect lightning for the fluval:

http://www.aqua-medic.de/seawater/en/24/aquasunspot/

i was thinking putting two 3watts in the hood + moonlight stripe... this would give me 540 lumen...

if this wouldnt be enough i could still put two 12 watts over the top of the auqarium... like one user already did on this forum... here... this would give me 2160 more lumen... and in total 2700 lumen... might be to overkill for this litle edge actually ^^ :D

what do you guys think?

p.s. do i need some kind of surface skimmer for the fluval?

Edited by classic
Just do weekly water changes and you should be fine. That's what i do and my nitrates are consistently 0.

ok... was just worried about the water surface...

got another question regarding heater... would a eheim jaeger 50watt fit in the aquaclear 20?

and you guys mentioned purapad as filter media... what exactly is that?