Pod Your Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I was told they're possibly shipping this week.

Sweet. I ordered mine before the free shipping expired and luckily it looks like we are getting upgraded LED drivers at the same price.

They have a large load of Edge fixtures at the bead blaster, few days before that's done. After that, to the anodizer it all goes, few more days. They're currently putting the boxes together at 5-8 each day and should be caught up on the Edge orders in 1-2 weeks...

Edited by bogman2121

Hey guys!

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and finally decided to go out and buy myself an edge.

I wanted to post my plans and goals and hopefully you guys can help me from making too many mistakes. I've been a freshwater hobbyist for about 10 years and this is my first saltwater setup.

So far I've only purchased the edge, but I have in my online shopping carts:

- nanotuners 3.6 fluval edge led fixture (I figured it would be easier to just drop the cash rather than messing around with rigging up a light fixture myself. Hopefully this will be adequate lighting for what I'd like to accomplish).

- Vortech MP-10 ES

- For a heater I am in between a rena 50w and a jager 50w. I've read in this thread that the rena fits, so I'm leaning that way. I've just always used Jager heaters and have never had a problem. Any chance that anyone has tried a jager in theirs?

- Pura-pad and chemipure. Do I need both or would I even be able to fit both?

- Coral life Hydrometer

- 50 gal box of instant ocean

- API Master salt test kit

Hopefully I'm not missing anything. I was planning on getting all of this stuff bundled up and then getting some liverock from the LFS and a bag of regular old sand, as I've read in this thread that the live sand is a bit of a waste.

I would really like to house 2 clown fish in the tank and a host anemone. However, if housing an anemone in such a small tank is ill advised, I'll have to do a bit of research as to what corals I can keep, simply because I am pretty unfamiliar with them.

Any suggestions on my setup and livestock choices are VERY appreciated!

Hey guys!

I've been lurking in this thread for a while, and finally decided to go out and buy myself an edge.

I wanted to post my plans and goals and hopefully you guys can help me from making too many mistakes. I've been a freshwater hobbyist for about 10 years and this is my first saltwater setup.

So far I've only purchased the edge, but I have in my online shopping carts:

- nanotuners 3.6 fluval edge led fixture (I figured it would be easier to just drop the cash rather than messing around with rigging up a light fixture myself. Hopefully this will be adequate lighting for what I'd like to accomplish).

- Vortech MP-10 ES

- For a heater I am in between a rena 50w and a jager 50w. I've read in this thread that the rena fits, so I'm leaning that way. I've just always used Jager heaters and have never had a problem. Any chance that anyone has tried a jager in theirs?

- Pura-pad and chemipure. Do I need both or would I even be able to fit both?

- Coral life Hydrometer

- 50 gal box of instant ocean

- API Master salt test kit

Hopefully I'm not missing anything. I was planning on getting all of this stuff bundled up and then getting some liverock from the LFS and a bag of regular old sand, as I've read in this thread that the live sand is a bit of a waste.

I would really like to house 2 clown fish in the tank and a host anemone. However, if housing an anemone in such a small tank is ill advised, I'll have to do a bit of research as to what corals I can keep, simply because I am pretty unfamiliar with them.

Any suggestions on my setup and livestock choices are VERY appreciated!

Skip the Hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer. Well worth the $ and will save you time.

Skip the Hydrometer and get yourself a refractometer. Well worth the $ and will save you time.

Yep! Already figured that out today after some reading. Any other helpful suggestions?

Yep! Already figured that out today after some reading. Any other helpful suggestions?

I've put together the same shopping list - most of it's assembled. I also went with a rkl to automate top offs, the lighting and dosing.

I'd recommend some kind of ato - with salt it just helps so much to keep the salinity in check

Edited by Ron_Rocco
I've put together the same shopping list - most of it's assembled. I also went with a rkl to automate top offs, the lighting and dosing.

I'd recommend some kind of ato - with salt it just helps so much to keep the salinity in check

I'm researching the Reefkeeper lite now. I had looked at it before but didn't think it would be necessary for such a small tank. If I were to invest the money in the reefkeeper, would it be ok to do without the refractometer, or would having both be a good idea?

Hi All,

getting ready to upgrade the lighting on the Edge.

Here is my list for my led mod for the fluval edge.

list:

4 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs

4 Royal Blue Cree XR-E LEDs

1 Mean Well LPC-35-700W driver (constant current Driver)

1 7.280" 4 Inch heatsink

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OR advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

I'm researching the Reefkeeper lite now. I had looked at it before but didn't think it would be necessary for such a small tank. If I were to invest the money in the reefkeeper, would it be ok to do without the refractometer, or would having both be a good idea?

Having both is a good idea, it will let you check your mixes for WC's. I have an Edge with a RKL and it is brilliant just to control the heater let alone all of the other things it can do.

So with the original filter and typical reef livestock, is the consensus that a powerhead is needed, or not?

I'd go with a small powerhead, I was using a Nano for the past year and am now using an MP10. The flow helps keep things from settling.

Hi All,

getting ready to upgrade the lighting on the Edge.

Here is my list for my led mod for the fluval edge.

list:

4 Cool White Cree XP-G R5 LEDs

4 Royal Blue Cree XR-E LEDs

1 Mean Well LPC-35-700W driver (constant current Driver)

1 7.280" 4 Inch heatsink

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS OR advise would be greatly appreciated. :)

I would get a Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver and make the lights dimable instead.

I would get a Mean Well ELN-60-48D dimmable driver and make the lights dimable instead.

H neet,

thanks for the tip..to dim which color in the string? would you say is best

I'd go with a small powerhead, I was using a Nano for the past year and am now using an MP10. The flow helps keep things from settling.

Any pics of it in your tank?

This is a repost from the beginners thread. It was suggested that I post it here as well. Makes sense I guess

Hello all,

Id first like to thank everyone for the vast knowledge here on the forum. I've been lurking for a few months trying to soak up as much info as I can while I collect equipment for my tank. I can honestly say that I would not dare attempt a nano reef with out you guys. I plan on documenting my tank as soon as I get the LR and sand in place but my LFS has been dragging their feet and leading me on about rock shipments. I'm about to give up on them.

So, here is my quandary. I have a Fluval Edge that has had RO/DI salt water in it for the last month, I keep topping it off and checking the salinity and temps daily. The room it is in gets real cold in the winter and I had to find a good setup to keep the temp from fluctuating is my reasoning for leaving it without LR and cycling it. I think I have it all sorted out, but I'm not sure if the water is still going to be fresh enough to put LR and sand in to cycle. What do you guys think?

Also do you guys continually heat your top off water and salt exchange water? I'm assuming so, good thing I have a stock pile of heaters that weren't up to the task.

My setup so far.

Fluval Edge

3X MR16 LED light Mod at 6W a piece (probably going to get the nanocustoms edge light) I want to see some setups with it first.

Digital Aquatics RKL

50W and a 25W Steal Pro heaters. (The 50 maintains the temps, if it drops past a preset 78 the 25w kicks in. it also acts as a failsafe).

2 Hydor Pico Evo Mag 180gph powerheads. wave simulated with the RKL controller.

stock aqua clear 20 going to use chato and the stock sponge.

RO/DI filter,

Reef Crystals reef salt.

Thanks again guys.

-Ruckusnuts

Ruckusnuts,

Your water in your tank will be fine until you get some LR. And you do not need to keep your extra saltwater heated. Don't hesitate to check out some of our vendors for LR. No need to support a crappy LFS with your hard earned dollars when they will buy you much better service (and probably product) here.

Ruckusnuts,

Your water in your tank will be fine until you get some LR. And you do not need to keep your extra saltwater heated. Don't hesitate to check out some of our vendors for LR. No need to support a crappy LFS with your hard earned dollars when they will buy you much better service (and probably product) here.

Do I heat it before I do a water change. I'm thinking if I do a 10% swap in a 6.5 gal tank I might make too big of a temp swing. Thanks tmhasara!

Hey guys!

Im in need of some lighting advice B)

So Ive had my edge set up for probably close to a month now and Ive got it all cycled and stocked with my CUC. However, Im still on the edge (omgomgomg) about what I should do about lighting. I definitely want to keep the stock look and Im not really looking to do any hood modifications. Im looking for a solution that will give me great colors with a nice actinic spectrum and can support most coral growth while still being under or around $100.

So here's the one million dollar question: What do I do for lights?

Custom LED build? 50/50 coralife? MR16s? A combo of LED bulbs, fluorescent, and blue accent LEDs? Something else?

Thanks!!

Do I heat it before I do a water change. I'm thinking if I do a 10% swap in a 6.5 gal tank I might make too big of a temp swing. Thanks tmhasara!

And Ruskusnuts, Yep I would definitely heat your water before you do a change, just toss one of your heaters in an hour or so before you do it (it usually only takes about 20-30 min to heat my water when I do a 1-2 gal change)

anyone have any experience with Seachem Ammonia Alert sensor? I just got one for my edge because i kept getting a shade of yellow that wasn't on my Nutrafin ammonia results chart. I just attach it to the inside of my tank and it's supposed to give me a continuous realtime reading of ammonia levels in my tank. Does it work or did I get hosed?

Heating the water before a change is important when you have livestock, but I'm not sure it's important in your case.

Im in need of some lighting advice B)

NanoTuners offers their Fluval Edge system with fewer LED's for $200 instead of $300. Just a thought.

For the ELN-60-48D you can't dim one single color since this drives needs a min of 8 led to work correctly.

If you are thinking building it take a look at this thread, I based my mod off this one:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...255517&st=0

hi neet,

it would be nice to dim all strings individually with two buckpuck and run them with one power supply. maybe i can upgrade the constant current driver later down the road and add one buckpuck to the whites only.As money is kinda tight and I am getting this driver in the kit.

What do you think if i get the dimmable driver for both the 4 blue and the 4 white? Its just swap the 35- 700W and pay a little bit extra for the ELN 60-48D.

Or just wait till i can get 2 buckpuck and the power supply? do you think this is the best way to go about it? are you over all happy with the4 way you choice your lighting? with the 8 and dimmable?

it can't get easier so no i haven't.

i guess it was very important for me to give my reef critters the most stable and reef friendly environment possible. A quick trip to the hardware store with your hood and a couple of hours planning is all it took, plus that build will never fall apart.

As a good friend on NR said: this is the only way to effectively light these tanks somewhat efficiently. The MR11, MR16, T5 and PC retros, seem kind of hack. Not bashing those that have tried, as this isn't an easy tank to light, but seems somewhat counter productive.

Again, no bashing here folks, we all have our own budgets but in the end i don't think my build was any more expensive in time and parts then other builds...just a different take on it and confidence that it would work.

thanks.

Hi senoufo,

I wasn't able to check out the video and when i clicked the link it said user has closed account. is there any way you can send me the video or a link. really interested in doing a build like yours.please let me know.

thanks