Cultivated Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

It won't reset your cycle but you will want to use RO water, not saltwater, as the salt stays while the water evaporates. Using saltwater would raise your salinity over time.

It won't reset your cycle but you will want to use RO water, not saltwater, as the salt stays while the water evaporates. Using saltwater would raise your salinity over time.

Thanks for the tip!

Honestly I have not done a huge amount of research on the fish as I'm a month or so away from that, but I can barely tell the color difference apart but I like the Ocellaris more, plus cheaper and that's nice. Also 100% tank raised is the way to go either breed IMHO from research. I'm sure either are great. As for the lighting, I have soldered an Xbox and a flat screen TV and lots of other random things, but as a student I am weary to try the CREE set ups just cause they cost so much and I would want to make it perfect. For now the 30$ worth of MR16 will do me fine. If i find more cash to burn I would like to upgrade that after I get more seasoned in this hobby.

I'm in the same boat as you. Just starting to cycle mine, and am now saving cash for some PAR38 LED while I'm waiting. I put in 10lbs. of Caribsea Oolite and it still doesn't give me an even 1" sandbed all around. I've got barely 1/2" sandbed upfront. Thinking about adding more sand.

well my fluval is in serious jeopardy right now... power went out and the tank has dropped 8 degrees in two hours. sadly i'm stuck at work but have my girlfriend getting a battery powered air pump and the tank is wrapped in a few blankets and winter jackets so hopefully my clowns make it through alright.

if it weren't dropping into the single digits outside today i would hold out a little more hope but my house is poorly insulated as it went from 67 to 61 in an hour.

i'm thinking of having her wrap the tank in tin foil then layer blankets around it, any thoughts?

Edited by bogman2121
I'm new to this myself, but what about warming up ziplock bags of water and letting them float on the surface?

I plan on it but i'm stuck at work until 7pm and she might burn the house down if she tries to light the burners with the power out.

Just FYI, I lost power last year for a day and my tank got to about 50 degrees. I had a battery powered air pump running the entire time. After power came back up, there were no ill effects on any of my fish or coral :)

Just FYI, I lost power last year for a day and my tank got to about 50 degrees. I had a battery powered air pump running the entire time. After power came back up, there were no ill effects on any of my fish or coral :)

did you wrap the tank in blankets or anything?

With the water filled up into the "collar", is gas exchange a problem?

Has anyone put an air stone into the bottom of the filter, so it doesn't have to clutter up the tank?

Isn't that going to cause tons of bubbles? You should really get a powerhead sometime soon, it may work temporarily, but won't last.

I filled my water the whole way up and it does not create additional bubbles.

well my roommate got a generator so the tank won't freeze but i guess the battery powered airstone i had my girlfriend get splashed too much water onto the lights so those aren't working and the filter isn't working anymore for some reason

@neet-very nice tank. I love the clean look. What is that you are using for a splash guard? I have a piece of plexiglass over mine and the stock halogens actually bend it slightly after being on all day. I might have to give up on trying to use the stock lights, even just for now while the tank is cycling.

On another note, has anyone seen the Orphek PR25 bulbs? They look pretty sleek! Is there a need for the ultraviolet LED? I've only seen Par38 from Evil and Ecoxotic so far. With a limited budget, I gotta get the best bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

@neet-very nice tank. I love the clean look. What is that you are using for a splash guard? I have a piece of plexiglass over mine and the stock halogens actually bend it slightly after being on all day. I might have to give up on trying to use the stock lights, even just for now while the tank is cycling.

I'm using a cut up zip lock bag until I find something better, it does the job and doesn't melt.

Hi All,

i just got my fluval edge and it is great i been reading these forums and must say there great as well . I am going to do DIY cree led lighting on the hood as the stock halogen are insufficient and really suck. I have read many post and thread on the subject of cree led and must say the MR11 , MR16 10watt , 20watt 50/50 corallife are good. but I thinking cree a much better and brighter.IMO

Just a few question i have read that an array 4x2 is the way to go for such a small tank the lower the better spread and sometime seen even the 12 led on a heat sink route. But my question is :

Why not just do 6 led on one heat sink on an array 3x2 in the hood of the fluval edge?

Hope this spark interest and help other in the process.

thanx

Hi All,

i just got my fluval edge and it is great i been reading these forums and must say there great as well . I am going to do DIY cree led lighting on the hood as the stock halogen are insufficient and really suck. I have read many post and thread on the subject of cree led and must say the MR11 , MR16 10watt , 20watt 50/50 corallife are good. but I thinking cree a much better and brighter.IMO

Just a few question i have read that an array 4x2 is the way to go for such a small tank the lower the better spread and sometime seen even the 12 led on a heat sink route. But my question is :

Why not just do 6 led on one heat sink on an array 3x2 in the hood of the fluval edge?

Hope this spark interest and help other in the process.

thanx

as you suspect, the stock lighting given by this tank gives you spotlighting in the middle back of the tank,

some folks have added/changed the stock lighting in that area by adding different bulbs but this may or may not be acceptable to you,

some prefer that the further you look towards the corners of the tank it becomes darker ( less light reach ). Some say this is enough and no need to go LED DIY.

some have added Par38 lights outside of the tank pointing down on each side of the hood to alleviate this issue ( read Picod's tank thread on this forum )

some have scrapped the top hood and went with a "sit on top standard light fixture ".

and some are buying the custom lights from Nanotuners.

the main challenge of our fluval edge is " how to increase coverage" as opposed to intensity, since with a standard tank you would normally have a light that hangs on top across the whole length of the tank and that would give you acceptable coverage. In my case i wanted to increase overall coverage whiles trying to keep a stock look, and once i started it was easy to add more cree LEDs to increase intensity as well. my best advise is look at the pictures and you-tube videos of different mods and see what is acceptable to you based on what you want to keep in your Edge, you may find a 3x2 array sufficient for you.

again, the main challenge is coverage while keeping the stock look of the Edge, and of course the best lighting possible so your softies can thrive.

Edited by senoufo

Here is my new refugium light for the canister hooked up to my EDGE. I replaced a 7w POS under-cabinet light with a clean new 11w 6500k CFL spotlight attached to the stand. I'm really happy with this new mod!

5425072233_a84998453b.jpg

Edited by Dustin11

i am living in istanbul... summer is around the corner... it will get superhot... ac or chiller? what do you think? if chiller, what are you using? or would be 120mm pc fan placed on top of the hood enough? any ideas appreciated...

• Like 1
So does anyone have pics of the nanotuners 3.6 LED Edge lights yet? I want to order these before the free shipping is gone. If so please post what light setups you have and your experience with them.

Thanks

Still waiting on my 3.6 as well from nano tuners. Holding off on pitting pics of my set up till the light kit arrives.

Still waiting on my 3.6 as well from nano tuners. Holding off on pitting pics of my set up till the light kit arrives.

I was told they're possibly shipping this week.