Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Hi,

I have also been considering getting the same unit.

Can you see any problems with the following array?

Strip 1 6x Blue

Strip 2 50/50

Strip 6x White

Regards,

Donald

Nice, I just placed an order. I'll confirm the layout tomorrow.

Finally I feel at home. Glad to have found this thread. Ive had my Edge up since 7/8/10. Heres some of the mods Ive incorporated and a FTS from when it was a macro only tank. Currently workin on a zoanthid garden and kicking around the idea of a custom overflow/sump.

Heres the ongoing journals If your looking for more info.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.p...kes+fluval+edge

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/tank-jou...ria-garden.html

black/black hood - looks good and prevents corrosion

DSC04728.jpg

Custom removeable mounting bracket/reflector/lamp holders

DSC04731.jpg

DSC04732.jpg

2x13w gx23 50/50 cfl

2x mini pc cooling fans

DSC04926.jpg

Ballast's were mounted in a gutted DVD player

DSC04745.jpg

Acrylic splash guard

DSC05848.jpg

FTS: 10-01-10

DSC05642.jpg

Current shot:

DSC06156.jpg

Edited by MlDukes
I've been emailing back and forth with Nick from Nanocustoms and based on my conversation with him I went

1. 50/50

2. 6RB

3. 50/50

That'll allow me some dawn/dusk effects if I want them and I like tanks that are a little bluer. He said it should make it 20k that way.

I've ordered the same setup with 1. 50/50, 2. 6RB, 3. 50/50. Also I was speaking with them today and the new shipment will be dimming! In two arrays, 1+3 and 2. Works with the ALC module from ReefKeeper.

Hi,

I have also been considering getting the same unit.

Can you see any problems with the following array?

Strip 1 6x Blue

Strip 2 50/50

Strip 6x White

Regards,

Donald

Only issue I see is that with the 2 switched arrays you'll never only have a blue light on.

Finally I feel at home. Glad to have found this thread. Ive had my Edge up since 7/8/10. Heres some of the mods Ive incorporated and a FTS from when it was a macro only tank. Currently workin on a zoanthid garden and kicking around the idea of a custom overflow/sump.

Very cool setup, I've just finished a mod for an overflow/sump. I'll be posting pics later this week.

What led strips would you go with for 1, 2, and 3? I'm not sure what would be best.

I'm waiting for a response from Nick, but I'm thinking module 1 and 3 white and module 2 blue. This way I can dim the middle module hopefully for a moonlight effect. I'm worried about light banding though so we'll see what he says. Looks like they are working on a new balast design so he advised 2-3 weeks for shipment. Thats fine as my water won't be going in until probably tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to get LR that I like also >.<

Thats a clean light mod.

I was thinking about the same fish in my tank, I would be grabbing a purple firefish though. How do they get a along? Instead of the clown I may try a different species as I like clowns in pairs and can just get some when I set up my larger tank. I would love 2 purple firefish, though I doubt that would be a good idea. I was also thinking about a goby pistol shrimp combo, but more than a few people advised that the clicking noise is annoying, and this tank will be in my bedroom so I'll probably pass on that also.

I like the Acrylic splash guard does that rest on top of the tank or in? How are your temps?

Thanks

I've ordered the same setup with 1. 50/50, 2. 6RB, 3. 50/50. Also I was speaking with them today and the new shipment will be dimming! In two arrays, 1+3 and 2. Works with the ALC module from ReefKeeper.

Only issue I see is that with the 2 switched arrays you'll never only have a blue light on.

Very cool setup, I've just finished a mod for an overflow/sump. I'll be posting pics later this week.

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know that array 1 and 3 were linked. I've settled on:

1. 50/50

2. 6x Blue

3. 6x White

I'm just waiting for Nick to get back to me on shipping costs to Australia before I order. My tank is in transit.

Regards,

Donald

I'm waiting for a response from Nick, but I'm thinking module 1 and 3 white and module 2 blue. This way I can dim the middle module hopefully for a moonlight effect. I'm worried about light banding though so we'll see what he says. Looks like they are working on a new balast design so he advised 2-3 weeks for shipment. Thats fine as my water won't be going in until probably tomorrow. I have a feeling it's going to take me a while to get LR that I like also >.<

I spoke with Nick and went with 1 and 3 as 50/50 and strip 2 as all blue. This way I can have only blue on if i want it and allows me a dawn dusk effect. He said it'll give the tank a 20k look.

Thats a clean light mod.

I was thinking about the same fish in my tank, I would be grabbing a purple firefish though. How do they get a along? Instead of the clown I may try a different species as I like clowns in pairs and can just get some when I set up my larger tank. I would love 2 purple firefish, though I doubt that would be a good idea. I was also thinking about a goby pistol shrimp combo, but more than a few people advised that the clicking noise is annoying, and this tank will be in my bedroom so I'll probably pass on that also.

I like the Acrylic splash guard does that rest on top of the tank or in? How are your temps?

Thanks

Thanks! I put alot of thought/time into the build. I wasnt about to venture into LEDs... over my head. But some of the cree LED mods ive seen are amazing! Lookin forward to yours!

With the fans OFF the bulbs heat the water about 2f over room temp. With fans ON the fluxuation in tank temp is minimal (less than half a degree F) during lighting hours.

The clown and firefish get along great actually. Its so funny, my clown will swim up right beside the firefish and mimic him (holds really still and just "hovers" right beside him) then swims away with that clown twitch.

I understand the red and purple dont get along but I think 2 purple would be fine together.... ?? Ive heard the same about the shrimp/goby pair. I ruled them out for the same reason, my tank sits on my nightstand.

The splash guard sits ontop of the opening. You can see a ball of silicone on each inside corner, that keeps it from sliding around.

Edited by MlDukes

Thanks. Cant wait to see your build, Ive seen a few designs but yours may put me over the top...

I spoke with Nick and went with 1 and 3 as 50/50 and strip 2 as all blue. This way I can have only blue on if i want it and allows me a dawn dusk effect. He said it'll give the tank a 20k look.

Well Nick advised that even with the middle module turned down it will still be pretty bright so the moonilight effect I was looking for would probably need to be another set of "moonlight LED's". I'll probably be passing on that idea then. My main concern is coral health followed by coral color. I'm still undecided on the light set up maybe a 1 white 2 blue 3 50/50 set up...decisions decisions. Because of the lenses being around ~140 degrees my concern of banding is a non-issue.

Well Nick advised that even with the middle module turned down it will still be pretty bright so the moonilight effect I was looking for would probably need to be another set of "moonlight LED's". I'll probably be passing on that idea then. My main concern is coral health followed by coral color. I'm still undecided on the light set up maybe a 1 white 2 blue 3 50/50 set up...decisions decisions. Because of the lenses being around ~140 degrees my concern of banding is a non-issue.

I put my order in today. I settled on:

LED Strip 1: 50/50

LED Strip 2: 6x blue

LED Strip 3: 6x white

Regards,

Donald

I put my order in today. I settled on:

LED Strip 1: 50/50

LED Strip 2: 6x blue

LED Strip 3: 6x white

Regards,

Donald

We'll definitely have to throw some pictures on here once we get them. I'd like to see how other setups look color-wise.

We'll definitely have to throw some pictures on here once we get them. I'd like to see how other setups look color-wise.

WOW that looks like one sweet, sleek add on for this tank. I am liking :bowdown: Do you think fingerscrossed it would work UK side? and is there a price on these units yet?

Also I am on the look out for some sutable paint to do the grill in black so can anyone recomend any thing?

:flower: Your salty edge friend from over the pond.

WOW that looks like one sweet, sleek add on for this tank. I am liking :bowdown: Do you think fingerscrossed it would work UK side? and is there a price on these units yet?

Also I am on the look out for some sutable paint to do the grill in black so can anyone recomend any thing?

I used high heat/rust resistant engine enamel to paint mine.

I'm going to use mine in Australia which uses the same electrical system as the UK. Shipping to Australia was quoted at around USD$55. The ballasts will run on both 110V and 240V AC currents. The fan uses a 12V DC, 500mA power pack (with a 2.5mm plug). However, it only works on 110V AC supplies. So I have bought one from eBay for around AUD$7.

Regards,

Donald

spiderlord247

i have set up my fluval edge and now just have stock bulbs, but ledho mr11's on the way. but i have worries that it will not be enough to do some high light corals.

my question is, i have a "spare" current usa 250w Metal Halide with 6blue led's and 6white led's. is it possible to run this light on the small tank? i would be keeping a close eye on the temp, but as far as having too much light? would it be to much of an overkill? you guys would be my first choich for advice before i went about it. let me know what u think. thanks.

i have set up my fluval edge and now just have stock bulbs, but ledho mr11's on the way. but i have worries that it will not be enough to do some high light corals.

my question is, i have a "spare" current usa 250w Metal Halide with 6blue led's and 6white led's. is it possible to run this light on the small tank? i would be keeping a close eye on the temp, but as far as having too much light? would it be to much of an overkill? you guys would be my first choich for advice before i went about it. let me know what u think. thanks.

I don't have an edge but I'm a fan of it... thus the subscription :happy: I personally think that's waaaay too much. 250w MH is pretty darn bright. You could try it tho but just be ready to have a backup plan if things don't work out.

hey guys,

i am looking at getting a Fluval Edge for my bedroom, would i be able to run marine on the stock equipment or would i have to buy an upgrade kit?

Dan =]

It's not enough light unless your running fish only.

Equipment:

- Aquaclear 20 filter with Pura Pad

- 2- 3 x 1 Watt 12 Volt MR16 CREE XLamp XR-E WHITE 240 Lumen and 1 Coralife 10W Mini Compact Fluorescent 50/50

- 50w Rena heater in filter compartment

_ Pura Pad pieces in filter compartment

- Coralife digital thermometer

How did you get your Rena 50w heater in the filter compartment? Just got one online, but it's huge! Can you post a pic of your filter compartment?

Hi, jhoffa,

Remove the bottom attachment from the heater and it will fit perfectly. You will also need to remove the filter basket/media from the filter compartment. As you can see, I have also placed my thermometer probe in there as well.

DSC04188.jpg

DSC04190.jpg

hope this helps,

danielle

Also, I realized I never put my "one year reef anniversary" then and now pic on this thread.

The anniversary of my tank was January 11, 2011. Additional pics on my tank thread. Enjoy:

reefann1jan1910.jpg

11111a.jpg

Edited by picoD