Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I'll post some pics today and yes I will be drilling for an overflow.

So here's a pic of the over flow I designed. It will sit on the left side (facing the tank) an mount slightly under the lip to take as little space as possible.

I'm planning on using a 3/4" over flow as a full 1" won't fit in the stock setup.

When done the tank will look stock with the exception of the overflow, however the overflow will be black and should disappear into the back wall.

I'm still cleaning the tank from the breakdown and will post some pics once I'm ready to drill.

post-49764-1293801700_thumb.png

And here's a pic of the Fuge I've designed to go with the Edge.

I'm planning on a 4" DSB (Deep Sand Bed) with as much Live Rock and Macro Algae that I can fit.

Lighting TBD.

post-49764-1293828919_thumb.png

I'd like to ask all you fine people a couple questions regarding lighting.

I'm new to the nano-reef, but I have a dry Edge awaiting attention. To keep the costs spread out so as not to anger the wife, I'd like to get the sand and rock next and hold off on the lighting while the tank cycles. Am I incorrect to assume the rock and all its lovely inhabitants won't care about the lighting situation while it cycles?

Preference goes to as little modification as required. I really dig picoD's arm lamps but functionally it won't work in my house with kids. That said, I can see why you added it, disappointed with the MR16s and the 50/50 by themselves.

That said, I see on that website you linked, LEDwholesalers, that there is a significantly brighter MR16 bulb:

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=418

That, along with a 50/50 like:

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/Fish_Lighting_R...html?tc=default

...should be a pretty decent daytime setup, no? Or will I be craving more light? I'm guessing something like 4x the following:

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=282

... would satisfy moonlight. But I'll worry about that later.

Or might those MR16's above be enough white to allow the compact fluorescent to be all blue light? My newbie guess is that, judging by all of your well-documented insatiable appetites for light, no, it they won't be enough. :)

Thanks for any information!

I've been using lights from http://www.aquariumledlighting.co.uk/index.html

The 170mm lights fit under the stock hood, 4 fit with the stock filter setup.

Ah, those are nice! Quite bright - do you have pics of your setup? Are you using two white and two blue? or three white one blue? or?

Also, did you have to order them from the UK or did you find them locally? Looking like just over $50 CDN each.

Was using 2 white and one blue. I'm adding another white.

I purchased direct online and had them shipped. Very nice stuff.

I'll post some pics later.

Awesome Thread and Awesome Tanks !

You guys are making want to run out and get this tank, just gotta find a way to convince the wife that I need another tank.

One partial solution to the bubbles at the top, tilt your stand slightly forward so that the back end of the tank is the higher then the front. I did this by just putting skid pads under the back two legs of my stand but not the front. Then when bubbles appear on the top many of them simply migrate to the open section and disperse.

Hi. new here. We currently have 2 fluvals going. We have upgraded to the LED mr11s but are finding that the corals are not holding their colors as they did when we bought them. we spent quite a bit of money on some exotic ones and even under the leds, they look brown and drab. any suggestions on the best lighting without having a ton of modding would be?

I read that but I saw it was UK so I glanced over it. I did go to the link you provided but Im not sure where to start my search as there doesnt seem to be a search tab?

If you don't wan't a too heavy mod try mr16's they have a better light spread. I just got them for mine and I am very happy with them, just pushed them in, I won't be able to use the mr11's again as the mr16 pins have made the socket holes bigger , but I don't wan't to anyway. Nothing to far out in my little edge but they work for me.

I had a fluval coral tank for 4 months but got tired of having 2 tanks with corals so I moved all to my 29 and did a Condy. I have always liked Condy's for some reason and all is well a month later.

002.jpg

Yeah I'll probably be ordering those tomorrow. I'm still doing my research on the colors that my corals will have compared to T5's though.

What led strips would you go with for 1, 2, and 3? I'm not sure what would be best.

I'm ordering one as well, not sure about which array to choose.

Thoughts?

I've been emailing back and forth with Nick from Nanocustoms and based on my conversation with him I went

1. 50/50

2. 6RB

3. 50/50

That'll allow me some dawn/dusk effects if I want them and I like tanks that are a little bluer. He said it should make it 20k that way.