Innovative Marine Aquariums

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

LUCKY! What date did you order them?

haha my bad, not getting them today, i was typing that still half asleep. it'll still be a week or two from what i'm being told.

i am however getting another 50/50 bulb today to get the nem some more light until the edge lights arrive. may be moving from the edge to an ada 30-c and suspend the light fixture over the tank with a system of ropes and pulleys, i'm getting tired of how difficult it is to do anything in the edge but we'll see if i pull the trigger since i just spent so much on the lights and a trip to key west for the fall

haha my bad, not getting them today, i was typing that still half asleep. it'll still be a week or two from what i'm being told.

... <_< youve raised my hopes and dashed them quite expertly sir bravo!

I have a fluval edge that's got freshwater right now, but I'm going to convert it. I'm building a cabinet this summer when i have more time, and it's going to have 3 chambers to act as a sump/fuge. I'm going to use Sweetwater epoxy paint to coat the interior of the cabinet, so that it will all be waterproof, and condensation won't be an issue. I'll probably put an ATO down there too. I'm going to drill the acrylic rim and outfit an overflow and return that will not be visible (or barely visible) in the display.

Here is a drawing of the cabinet that I did in sketch up. The upper chamber will be for a skimmer/fiter/heater. The lower two will be a the return and refugium. I'll put the overflow from the top chamber directly into the return side, so that I can control the flow through the fuge, or eliminate it completely. I'll probably do this with a branch off of the return line and a valve.

saltwater%20cab.jpg

No problems yet, he hangs out with the three stripe damsel.

I have three crab hitchhikers I need to get rid of. One chased after the clown.

I turned mine into a macro tank thanks to John and it's been doing great. Got tired of 2 coral tanks.

That's pretty damn cool, and I suspect it's a good idea on a 6 gallon, since nutrients should stay under control by the macros!

Moving away from the LED route for a bit after my DIY burned up. Probably my fault somewhere but oh well :(

Anyone here have the Nova Extreme 18" T5? Been looking into the one with the 10,000K daylight and 460nm actinic. Seems like it would be a good choice and I think it will fit too. Looking to keep mostly softies and maybe some LPS.

For those of you still thinking about purchasing a Fluval Edge tank, PetCo is having a 2 day St Patty's day internet only sale starting today (3/16). $109.99 with free shipping. All 3 colors are available at that price.

Edited by Cthulu

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has had 2 20w 50/50 bulbs in their tank and if so how long and did your coral thrive or were they just surviving? i have a link of what my current lighting situation looks like. i was wondering if putting 2 6 inch led strips in place of the stock lights would help/or be too much. i dont want to bleach my coral. i've been reading alot but i seem to not be getting anywhere. ive read that you need a minium of 3 watts per gallon of 10k lighting. so if i have 2 20w bulbs does that make 6.6 watts per gallon or since its a 50/50 bulb and half the watts go to the actinic bulb i'm only left with 3.3 watts.

post-65133-1300327624_thumb.jpg my lights the stock lights gave out so i took them out. tring to figure out whats the next best thing.

post-65133-1300327817_thumb.jpg this is what my tank looks like now

hi everyone, i was just wondering if anyone has had 2 20w 50/50 bulbs in their tank and if so how long and did your coral thrive or were they just surviving? i have a link of what my current lighting situation looks like. i was wondering if putting 2 6 inch led strips in place of the stock lights would help/or be too much. i dont want to bleach my coral. i've been reading alot but i seem to not be getting anywhere. ive read that you need a minium of 3 watts per gallon of 10k lighting. so if i have 2 20w bulbs does that make 6.6 watts per gallon or since its a 50/50 bulb and half the watts go to the actinic bulb i'm only left with 3.3 watts.

I put 3 20w 50/50 bulbs (coralife) in mine (mounted inside the stock hood). Seems enough light to me and I can still add reflectors if needed.

I don't think the wattage per gallon really applies when talking about compact fluorescents...

I put 3 20w 50/50 bulbs (coralife) in mine (mounted inside the stock hood). Seems enough light to me and I can still add reflectors if needed.

I don't think the wattage per gallon really applies when talking about compact fluorescents...

how did u manage to fit 3? did u remove the swing arm?

does anyone know if u can fit 1 20w 50/50 in the stock hood with out removing the swing arm

Yes, I removed the swing arm, but why not? It's not adding any value to the tank, and the fixture to mount your 50/50 bulbs costs $1.50 at the hardware store.

Hopefully I attached this correctly. It's an image of how 3 bulbs fit inside the lid (fits pretty easy). Holes are drilled in the back both to accommodate the wiring and to mount the sockets (mounted with cold weld, or you could use epoxy, then covered in liquid electrical tape, which is pretty much like nail polish made of rubber). You could fit 4 bulbs if you really wanted but WARNING, the HEAT is much higher than you probably think of a traditional CF bulb.

post-64812-1300417162_thumb.jpg

Edited by G L Shane

OK, it's about time I stop being lazy and post this Fluval Edge mod. This is not intended to be a "how to" but rather, a "what I did". It might be appropriately titled "What not to do to a Fluval Edge".

My intention was to keep the look of a cube of water.

Considering we only have 6 gallons of water and we want to keep a reef without all sorts of unsightliness (even the stock Fluval design has a tube going down the left center and ignores the need for a heater), we need an overflow and a refugium. This is not a knock on anyone keeping a reef tank on the Fluval Edge using the stock filtration. If you can do that, great. I'd actually like to try it with some carbon and resin. But using my limited knowledge of reef keeping from the past and knowing my lazyness, I figured that more water, and 24 hour light on some greens was the only way for me to make this small tank work for me (honestly, this tank is a challenge even in fresh water without mods)

One cool thing about the Edge is the "edge" part. It has an overflow built in that you can't see in the main tank at all. It's just waiting for someone to drill it. And it's easy to drill, as it's made of some type of soft plastic, and any hand held drill can do the job. I decided to have two one-inch drains at the top of the tank (I left room for a 3rd if needed, leaving ample room for the return). I chose to put 1 inch, 45 degree PVC elbows in. You could use 90 degree if you are going to drill your stand, but I also wanted 45% as the starting angle because I knew it wouldn't make any gurgling noise. In order to drill a hole for a 1 inch PVC fitting, you have to accommodate for the OUTSIDE portion of the fitting. In this case (using ordinary 45 degree PVC elbows) I used a 1 1/8 inch arbored hole saw (goes on any drill, costs $9.00). These elbows are (eventually) sealed into place using silicone sealant, but you could use Epoxy if you wanted a more permanent seal. The black backing needs to be drilled to match, obviously.

I used black braided pond/spa hose from Lowes to connect to my 45 degree elbows and drain directly into my refugium. This was one of the hardest parts in terms of man strength and I don't recommend anyone try this (luckily I am a man with strength). The pond/spa hose is one inch, and your PVC is one inch, but the PVC housing is the 1/8 inch difference. This flexible spas hose isn't as flexible as I thought it would be. What I did was use a knife/razer to widdle the PVC down a bit, then warm the hose in VERY HOT (but not boiling water, as boiling will make it shrink) water for about 5 minutes. This loosened the hose enough for me to man power it directly onto the PVC elbow. I am 100% sure that someone here can tell you a better way to make this connection, but I chose to make it simple. Of coarse the outside connection is covered in silicone sealant as a backup to any leaks.

Hopefully that made some sense and my pics will help. My refugium is as simple as it gets. It's a clear plastic tub from WallyWorld ($8.00 I think. Holds about 12 gallons. Food grade plastic #5). Inside is 40 pounds of carib sea live sand, some cheato, and 24 hour lighting provided by a $5.00 work lamp and a daylight compact fluorescent. My return is a RIO 800. It's suction cupped to the side of the plastic fugue and has a pre-filter ($6.00) designed for it but modifed slightly to allow more water through the bag of chemi-pure elite thats lazily sitting on top of it. No Skimmer. No anything else (besides the heater and temp monitor).

Well after all of that writing it might sound weird but the philosophy on this one is to keep it simple. The setup took some work but after that... I will do a water change of 2 or so gallons a month. I will clean my glass every two weeks. I will manually top off RO water every few days. I will replace Chemi-pure elite every 4 months. I will change my light bulbs every 6 - 8 months. I will give cheato away on craigslist when needed.

post-64812-1300426512_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300426528_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300426592_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300426776_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300426827_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300427004_thumb.jpg

post-64812-1300427170_thumb.jpg

Edited by G L Shane

I should add that if anyone is trying this I can give them much better details, offer advice, or even list any problems/regrets (ugh, if it wernt for the Korilla Nano then you would see nothing but a cube of marine life. I should have cut 3 outlets and got a stronger return pump. Then you'd see absolutely nothing gear wise in the tank and the flow would still be enough, you need high flow on the display, as this isn't a tank you want to have to clean much).

Edited by G L Shane

i was thinking last night if it was possible to use a canister filter to take water out of the tank then pump it into a sump then just use another pump to push the water back up to the tank. would that be possible? if the power went out and came back on while i wasn't home, would i have a mess when i got back. hmmmm something else to research today

doppelganger

no don't do that... think about it. If one of the pumps die... flood. If one of the flows are slightly off... either dirt getting in the pumps or something else... flood.

Well, if you have an overflow on the tank you could do that, pump from the sump to the canister and from the canister back to the tank. Vice versa for an above tank sump.

What are people using for heaters in their Edges? I've seen nothing but bad things about the heater that is designed for the Edge and I know that PicoD is using a Jager in the HOB filter. I've also seen several people list Fluval E50s on their planned equipment list, but the only reference I can find online says the E50 is 10" long so it wouldn't fit unless it was placed diagonally in the tank (ugly). I'm willing to spend a bit extra on the heater to get one that will last and is accurate, but too many choices. Any and all suggestions appreciated.

- Ron

anyone got a recommendation on a good protein skimmer. im building a 10g sump. so it cant be too big. i also need a pump, any help would be great. was think on getting one of these skimmers

AquaticLife Internal Mini Protein Skimmer 115

or

aqua euro usa nano protein skimmer 2

Edited by jolo9534