Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

• 2 weeks later...
kristonenicolas

I've had my fluval edge for about 9 months now. I decided to upload some pictures but it's not close to being done. Soon to come is a custom sump and nanocustoms lighting.

5d3ed5dc.jpg

426743e6.jpg

6cea6ce7.jpg

3efdc84c.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

hey every1,

i am kind of clueless what to do. at the moment its getting too hot, iam using a 12inch fan to cool it to 25 degrees. but i loose alot of water... when i come back home i refill it but i think its stressing tomthe inhabitants... all this salinty changes.... anyway what would you suggest me. how could i install an tunze ato... would this work actually?

another option would be to use a eheim ecco pro 200 or 300 canister filter and attach it to a chiller... what do you think? but i heard on this small things the chiller kicks in too often...

another option would be a sump, is it possible to make a overflow box without drilling?

any thoughts, ideas are welcome.

thank you.

Hello everyone I'm really new to sw tanks and was trying to do a custom led setup like some of you on this forum. Can someone please link me to a website(amazon,eBay) for th flexible led strips. Everything I found was really long. Does anyone know what length fits perfectly on the arm where the edge holds the mr11's? Thank you!

Updated FTS. Going nice and slow with this tank. Need some more $ to buy some more corals!

L4Uby.jpg

NbOwR.jpg

FREAKING FLATWORMS!!!!!!!!!

Edited by y0smokey

instead of ac... i am using a normal pc fan.. which is pretty successfull... downside is i need to refill water every day and this is causing flactuation in salinty... this is why i want to setup an ato... can somebody point me to a thread on how to install a tunze nano in a fluval edge for example?

thank you.

Good day to all.

I have this edge since last year as a freshwater atnk and finally converted it to a mini reef earlier this year.

Here is a FTS of the tank. Got fed up trying to keep the stock hood due to poor light spread so I DIYed a lamp arm for it instead.

edgefts.jpg

Equipment

Fluval Edge 6.6gal Aquarium

2 pcs. Current 2b/2w powerbrite on DIY lamp arm/cover

stock AquaClear 20 HOB filter with biomax, sponge and floss

Koralia nano

PC cooling fans

8lbs live rock

5lbs live sand

5lbs estes white sand

Livestock

1 red legged hermit crab

1 left handed hermit

1 peppermint shrimp

1 sexy shrimp

1 true percula

1 false percula

Bunch of zoas, palys, mushroom, ricordea, acan, leather, xenia, frogspawn, GSP

A few random shots of the tank.

edge1.jpg

edge2.jpg

edge3.jpg

P1080512.jpg

edge4.jpg

Edited by jeffvmd
Can anybody link me to those LED Strips that will fit?

In my tank, I've replaced the halogens with MR-16s:

http://www.ledwholesalers.com/store/index....p;productId=537

You can fit a Coralife 50/50 on the front of the light arm:

http://www.amazon.com/Mini-Power-Compact-L...1755&sr=1-2

And this blue LED moonlight fits on the back of the swing arm:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KJ4QO...YPQ9DARZWBS3FA2

One note, I've found that the 50/50s run pretty hot, and in this heat, I don't often have them on. Just the LEDs and the moonlight.

kristonenicolas

trying to find a stand i can add a 10g sump underneath. i can go get any generic stand but i'm looking for a stand that will keep the sleek look of the fluval edge. any ideas?

does anyone have any suggestions on what to use in the stock filter? please help super confused

I just run the stock sponge, poli-fil, and sometimes carbon if I think I need it. Changing the poli and washing the sponge every week with the water change. I am going to be upgrading to an aqua-clear 50 with Chemi-pur Elite and Chaetomorpha as well, making a refuge. If you look back on this thread, there are TONS of ideas. The edge is a tank that fosters Great imagination, because we have such constraints to keep sleek. Good luck :D

I just run the stock sponge, poli-fil, and sometimes carbon if I think I need it. Changing the poli and washing the sponge every week with the water change. I am going to be upgrading to an aqua-clear 50 with Chemi-pur Elite and Chaetomorpha as well, making a refuge. If you look back on this thread, there are TONS of ideas. The edge is a tank that fosters Great imagination, because we have such constraints to keep sleek. Good luck :D

QUESTION! So I've debated the whole refugium thing, as well, but the stock AC20 is teeny. I've read people have pulled it off with the 50 but I have a 50 in my freshwater 27g and it's nigh impossible to fit it in the Edge's back compartment. I've read some people have cut the edge a bit (other than just removing the stock lighting arm - which I've done) but I still don't see how a 50 would make it in there.

Suggestions? Tips?

MatthewStarr

Has anyone experienced heat issues with the nanocustoms fixture? My temp went up to 84 since I had it and I don't think the corals like it much. originally my temp would remain around 79-80. Thanks.

QUESTION! So I've debated the whole refugium thing, as well, but the stock AC20 is teeny. I've read people have pulled it off with the 50 but I have a 50 in my freshwater 27g and it's nigh impossible to fit it in the Edge's back compartment. I've read some people have cut the edge a bit (other than just removing the stock lighting arm - which I've done) but I still don't see how a 50 would make it in there.

Suggestions? Tips?

My understanding is that the 50 will fit, but it may have been an older model.

It required gutting the back area, arms, mounts, everything n the back chamber had to be removed and then the sides needed to be sanded lightly in order for it to not bulge out.

The 30 requires some cutting, but not near as much. The 50 needs major surgery and a shoehorn.

Has anyone experienced heat issues with the nanocustoms fixture? My temp went up to 84 since I had it and I don't think the corals like it much. originally my temp would remain around 79-80. Thanks.

I've noticed the same thing. I've been slowly increasing the brightness since getting the lights and the tank temp has been slowing increasing also by the end of the day. I stuck my iceprobe back in yesterday and that is handling the extra heat but in general I won't recommend an iceprobe as the thing is MUCH bigger than it looks in pictures. Impossible to put the stock hood on when the chiller is in the HOB. I'm planning on trying to build a larger hood to hide the thing.

Also noticed that my evap has increased significantly since turning the lights up. Not really surprised about either side-effect since the nanocustom heatsink gets quite warm even with the fan running. But my corals are much happier with the extra light. Just wish I'd gone with 2:1 RB:CW rather than 1:1 RB:NW.

- Ron

My understanding is that the 50 will fit, but it may have been an older model.

It required gutting the back area, arms, mounts, everything n the back chamber had to be removed and then the sides needed to be sanded lightly in order for it to not bulge out.

The 30 requires some cutting, but not near as much. The 50 needs major surgery and a shoehorn.

SAV602 is the one your looking for. He did a write up kinda on his AC50 (200) mod. (They are the same thing) I to plan on getting a AC50 and cutting off the swing arm mounts, since I'm not using them and I'd rather cut them all the way off and get an AC50 then halfway and an AC30. Little extra work for a lot more filtration.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...58464&st=20

Edited by hotshot619

I don't have a nanocustoms fixture, but this heat wave was doing a number on my tank. I ended up buying a 60mm computer case fan and wiring it to a 12v adapter. It fits perfectly under my hood and I just leave it on all day. I'm not sure the room you have under the hood because of the nanocustoms fixture, but its an idea.

It does lead to increased evaporation, but I just make sure to top off more frequently.

SAV602 is the one your looking for. He did a write up kinda on his AC50 (200) mod. (They are the same thing) I to plan on getting a AC50 and cutting off the swing arm mounts, since I'm not using them and I'd rather cut them all the way off and get an AC50 then halfway and an AC30. Little extra work for a lot more filtration.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...58464&st=20

That's the one I was thinking of, I wish we could get more info.

I'm also considering it.

I want to finalize my light system before I go cutting out the arms and gutting the rear box. I hate the arms, I'm sure I'm going to remove them, but I don't want to do anything permanent until I have the lights done. My current lights aren't bad, but I'm not happy with the upper corners of the tank. There is no way to properly light those with a semi stock setup.

Edited by LeslieAnn
MatthewStarr

Well what I ended up doing is just leaving the hood off on my edge tank. with this method it doesn't go beyond 81. I contacted nanocustoms and they said they have not had any complaints about temperature change. hmmmmm. anyway, I think its just a design flaw on the cooling side.

Well what I ended up doing is just leaving the hood off on my edge tank. with this method it doesn't go beyond 81. I contacted nanocustoms and they said they have not had any complaints about temperature change. hmmmmm. anyway, I think its just a design flaw on the cooling side.

That is odd about temperatures. The heater I've been using in my tank isn't one of those convenient/questionable(?) heaters that claim to keep the temperature at 78F and so I would have to bump it up a bit at night and turn it down in the day to compensate. That took awhile to get the knack of. Point is, though, that after I got my nanocustoms light, the next morning I noticed the tank was actually hotter over night than it was in the day with the lights on. It's like the built-in fan was doing too good of a job. So, I'm not sure why you'd have a sudden increase in heat. I don't run my lights higher than about 25%-50%-25% and I have the 50/50-RB-50/50 setup.

I'll take a peek at that AC50 mod again, though. I'd love me some chaeto.