Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

this thread doesn't see as much message traffic as it once did, but im really new to reef keeping myself only one month into it. i am also currently building a sump tank for my edge just waiting for the stuff i ordered online to get here. so i had a few questions about the refugium. like ive noticed that on some designs the return from the refugium is near the top of the tank and some are right above the sand bed. anyone got any insight on this?

doppelganger

pretty much where ever you'd like more flow. Keep in mind tho, if your return is lower, make sure you drill a few small holes at the top below the water level to avoid the siphon which will flood your sump and empty your DT. The benefit of having your return at the top is that the siphon will naturally be broken once the water level drops past that point. If you have the return output at the bottom, nothing will break it. Thus the small holes.

Yea, I don't see much reason not to have it at the top. In addition to keeping your tank from siphoning during a power or pump outtage, you won't have any unsightly plumbing in the tank. It's only about 9 inches from top to bottom in this small tank so you can easily direct your flow to the bottom from the top.

has anyone used one of those par38 bulbs with the edge? just curious i'm very close to ordering one but i'm also very unsure about how well it would work out.

Those are spot lights so keeping the stock look would be hard... You could possibly use a mirror to deflect the light into the tank though... hmmm....

Possibly you could place a bulb horizontally in the hood pointing outwards towards the front and have a mirror at a 45o angle also at the front so all the light is deflected downwards onto the inhabitants.

I hope I made a little bit of sense there (I love the bar :wizard:)

Those are spot lights so keeping the stock look would be hard... You could possibly use a mirror to deflect the light into the tank though... hmmm....

Possibly you could place a bulb horizontally in the hood pointing outwards towards the front and have a mirror at a 45o angle also at the front so all the light is deflected downwards onto the inhabitants.

I hope I made a little bit of sense there (I love the bar :wizard:)

oh sorry i wasn't clear i mean if i remove the hood completely i took the stock lights and bar out completely a while ago to retro some pc'sin there.

What i meant to ask was, does anyone have one of those par38 bulbs hanging over the fluval edge. without the hood.

Im not sure if anybody has done this but there really should be no problem with doing it. Since they would be higher above the tank you probably avoid the spotlight effect that the edge has problems with anyway.

I kind of want to try out my crazy mirror-proposal now to see if it actually works, but Im waiting for my nanocustoms Edge LED fixture!

so i finally got my sump going, and for some reason right after everything was good and running my polyps closed up. everything else seems to be fine. the water got cloudy. its a ten gallon sump so i have about 8-9 gallons of water in it. at the moment nothing is in it but water. any suggestions as to what to put in. i've read that just cheato and some live rock. think i might skip the sand but im still looking into it. any suggestions?

so i finally got my sump going, and for some reason right after everything was good and running my polyps closed up. everything else seems to be fine. the water got cloudy. its a ten gallon sump so i have about 8-9 gallons of water in it. at the moment nothing is in it but water. any suggestions as to what to put in. i've read that just cheato and some live rock. think i might skip the sand but im still looking into it. any suggestions? heres my sump. took all day but its done. well still having some trouble with with gurggle sound out of the overflow.

post-65133-1301471063_thumb.jpg

so i finally got my sump going, and for some reason right after everything was good and running my polyps closed up. everything else seems to be fine. the water got cloudy. its a ten gallon sump so i have about 8-9 gallons of water in it. at the moment nothing is in it but water. any suggestions as to what to put in. i've read that just cheato and some live rock. think i might skip the sand but im still looking into it. any suggestions? heres my sump. took all day but its done. well still having some trouble with with gurggle sound out of the overflow.

I wouldn't even put live rock in the sump, I'd put 4 to 6 inches of live sand, some cheato, and a couple of upper layer sand sifters. Then I would put it on 24 hour daylight and forget it. If you have any PH probs you could hunk some ph rock in there (but you likely won't because of the extra sand). Leave room for some bags of chemical support if needed (think Chemipure Elite and/or Purigen)

Edited by G L Shane

Looks great, btw, you will have much success. But since I can't totally see your plumbing, make sure you test totally blocking the drain to the sump to see if you get an overflow in the main tank.

Edited by G L Shane

thanks for the compliment BTW. the sump is working great and ive shut the power off and no problems everything drains to where its supposed to go, but no the tank is cloudy i think i might have gotten an ammonia spike i check it last night and this morning and it is a tiny bit higher. i don't know what caused it. im thinking it has to do with adding 9 gallons to the 5 in the DT. yesterday my damsel looked like it was having a hard time breathing and was sitting at the bottom of the tank. i don't know what else to do for him. hope he pulls through. oh and i wanted to put some live rock rubble in the sump cause i only have 3 pounds in my display tank and everywhere i've read says that you should have at least a pound of LR per gallon of water

Edited by jolo9534
thanks for the compliment BTW. the sump is working great and ive shut the power off and no problems everything drains to where its supposed to go, but no the tank is cloudy i think i might have gotten an ammonia spike i check it last night and this morning and it is a tiny bit higher. i don't know what caused it. im thinking it has to do with adding 9 gallons to the 5 in the DT. yesterday my damsel looked like it was having a hard time breathing and was sitting at the bottom of the tank. i don't know what else to do for him. hope he pulls through. oh and i wanted to put some live rock rubble in the sump cause i only have 3 pounds in my display tank and everywhere i've read says that you should have at least a pound of LR per gallon of water

Hows that Damsel doing? Hard to to see how adding water could have harmed the live rock unless it had chlorine in it?

Have you thought about using Miracle Mud in your sump? It sounds ideally suited to the Edge, I'm thinking of giving it a go on mine

I finally got my Edge light fixture from Nano customs a few days ago that I ordered in Jan. Here are a few pics..

Sorry for crappy Iphone 4 pics.

not alot of coral in here yet but now that I have the lights, Ill add alot.

IMG_1296.jpg

IMG_1298.jpg

IMG_1299.jpg

IMG_1300.jpg

I finally got my Edge light fixture from Nano customs a few days ago that I ordered in Jan.

Wow, at the price they charge it should ship in 3 days not 3 months. It does look great though...

Let us know what you do for corals, I'm need to figure that out myself.

bamboosharkbark
so i finally got my sump going, and for some reason right after everything was good and running my polyps closed up. everything else seems to be fine. the water got cloudy. its a ten gallon sump so i have about 8-9 gallons of water in it. at the moment nothing is in it but water. any suggestions as to what to put in. i've read that just cheato and some live rock. think i might skip the sand but im still looking into it. any suggestions?

Any chance you could show how you did the plumbing :)???

This weekend my tank increased from 79 to 84 over the weekend. Is anyone running an IceProbe chiller in their Edge? I have my tank at work and they don't run the AC on weekends. I was thinking that maybe it could be mounted in the HOB if there is clearance. Not willing to try drilling my tank. Thanks for any advise.

- Ron

I am trying to figure out my stocking ideas for my Edge....can you Edge gurus give me some suggestions.

First I am going to add a clean up crew...probably just going to buy the 10gal crew from reefcleaners. You think that will be overstocking?

Second I cannot figure out my fish ideas. Originally I wanted a clown and a small goby (yellow clown), but I am thinking I want some more inverts. Sexy shrimp? What have you guys had the most fun with?

Thanks...I am pumped to start adding creatures to this tank!

I am trying to figure out my stocking ideas for my Edge....can you Edge gurus give me some suggestions.

First I am going to add a clean up crew...probably just going to buy the 10gal crew from reefcleaners. You think that will be overstocking?

Second I cannot figure out my fish ideas. Originally I wanted a clown and a small goby (yellow clown), but I am thinking I want some more inverts. Sexy shrimp? What have you guys had the most fun with?

Thanks...I am pumped to start adding creatures to this tank!

I'm not sure what the 10gal package consists of, but John recommended:

5 Dwarf Ceriths

2 Nassarius

3 Florida Ceriths

5 Virgin Nerites

This was for my edge. You will get much more than you order, so either add to the notes that you ONLY want that amount for a 6gal tank, or dump the rest in a bigger tank or sell em.

As for stocking I'm probably going with some sexy's and maybe a purple fire fish. I'm still stocking corals, and not really thinking about the fish right now though. I like my clowns in pairs, but IMO that's too much for an edge. Many people have clowns in their tank with no issues as far as i'm aware. I'd watch some videos on Youtube to see how some of these fish act in tanks. What kind of filtration do you have?

Edited by SAV602
Any chance you could show how you did the plumbing :)???

the pics will have to wait till next week since im on vacation but ill put them up as soon as i can

Here's a video of it, not quite what I hoped though

I was hoping that they would incorporate a larger opening that's collar would be higher and even possibly a curved top glass to get ride of those dam micro bubbles :P