Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

Hola Folks,

So Im currently running my Edge as a FW but gonna dive in a turn into a SW. Im in the middle of nowhere Eastern WA and all we have here is a Petco for supplies. I first want to ask what ya'll think of the box salt water mix the sell (PETCO Real Ocean Water) by Catalina Water?

http://www.petco.com/product/11884/PETCO-R...n%20Water-11884

Second, Sand type???? At our local store they have the

-Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand (Grain size: 0.1 - 0.5 mm, Marine White Sand #0, SKU: 551520) - but I think is too fine with a Koralia Nano for flow also running.

-Nature's Ocean Aragonite Sand dry (Aragonite Sand #5, SKU: 1330403) - I think is to course for proper filtration

-Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand

Also how many pounds did ya'll put in? Inch in depth?

Anyway, thanks in advance.

RC

So anyone have any input on the Salt Water and Sand type?? if you have other suggestions thats cool. Let me know.

Thanks,

RC

Hola Folks,

So Im currently running my Edge as a FW but gonna dive in a turn into a SW. Im in the middle of nowhere Eastern WA and all we have here is a Petco for supplies. I first want to ask what ya'll think of the box salt water mix the sell (PETCO Real Ocean Water)

I used the same water to set the tank up but that was the only time on this tank now I use and have been with my other tank IO reef crystals. I used that water with other tanks in the past and had nothing but problems with it. As for sand stay away from the fine sand . And depth all really depends on what you would like to see. There are many debates on deep sand beds and shallow ones. I would say stick to around 1 inch but that's my preference

My tank with T5's

x6c6c3.jpg

Updated with LED's

qqwuft.jpg

Equipment:

mini heater

1 x koralia nano

DYI autotop off.

DYI LED 2 x neutral white 4 x royal blue

Filtration:

Natural Filtration

3-4 lbs live rock

3/4" live sand

Livestock:

1x peppermint shrimp

4 x hermit crabs

4x narssarius snails

2x astrea snails

Pom Pom Xenia

Green shrooms

red shrooms

red with blue spotted shrooms

duncans

various zoanthids

green polyp toadstool

frogspawn

2x featherdusters

1x purple gorgonia

1x kenya tree

war coral

prizm favia

pink lemonade acro

miami hurricane acro

leng sy cap

purple cap

green cap

brown cap

brown birdsnest

red chalice

rainbow yuma

Obstacles:

-heating. It's been pretty hot in my area so i have to turn lighting on at night + put containers filled with ice.81-82 degrees..and before lights off.. 84-85 :huh:

temperature has been consistently

-green algae grows really fast on the glass

-not a lot of space to work/ arrange my corals.

-trace elements seem to deplete quickly in the tank.

-my LEDs are non dimmable..so at the moment trying to figure out how to acclimate corals to lighting without melting all my softies & LPS.

- need to figure out where to hide/ mount the LED driver.

- the filter had a crack and leaked everywhere, so i ditched it. too many wires hidden back there (especially wiring for auto top off) and didn't feel comfortable if the filter leaked again.

Anyone out there using only the Brightest MR11 12V 10 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle?? If so what kind of livestock are you keeping? Or can someone answer what they think I can keep with these? Thanks

RC

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

I have just joined the Edge Club recently.

My tank is cycling for a week so far with 3kg of LR and I have tested water parameters for the first time yesterday. Results are: Ph – 8.2, Ammonia – 0, Nitrite – 0.25, Nitrate – 30. Any comments on those, where am I with the cycle? After the tests I have replaced 1 gallon of water ~15%

Another question I want to ask is about filter media, I am currently cycling with all supplied layers, but I have read that it is more accurate for tropical aquarium. What you guys using as your filter media?

I am especially concerned about the Biomax, as I’ve read that it may cause high nitrates. Shall I take it out? Maybe purigen instead or wait until cycle is complete?

Thanks

Hi All,

I have just joined the Edge Club recently.

My tank is cycling for a week so far with 3kg of LR and I have tested water parameters for the first time yesterday. Results are: Ph – 8.2, Ammonia – 0, Nitrite – 0.25, Nitrate – 30. Any comments on those, where am I with the cycle? After the tests I have replaced 1 gallon of water ~15%

Another question I want to ask is about filter media, I am currently cycling with all supplied layers, but I have read that it is more accurate for tropical aquarium. What you guys using as your filter media?

I am especially concerned about the Biomax, as I’ve read that it may cause high nitrates. Shall I take it out? Maybe purigen instead or wait until cycle is complete?

Thanks

No filtration media until the cycle is complete. Also no water changes. Id try and hit up the beginners section instead of this thread for some better/faster help as well as just doing a whole bunch of searches around nanoreef using the search bar. Pretty much any question you can think of has probably already been answered

Best of luck!

HI everyone, I've had a fluval edge laying around for some time. Finally decided to set up a little piece of reef in my work office. I have been running reefs for about 5 years. I have two mixed reefs set up at home which have been thriving. I decided to start this new edge with some of my frags.

So far, I have painted the back with a Dark-Dark blue paint. I am going to use an old AC30 i had laying around running chemipure elite. I have a small Tetra 50 watt heater that fits in the AC30 as long as the lid is off. Does anyone know of a heater that might fit with the lid on?

For circulation I am taking my old vortex 10 from one of my home tanks (upgrading the home tank to the new wireless version). Lighting will be the nano-tuners LED by Evil.

Trying to keep it clean and minimal. Just barely an inch of aragonite sand and some rock (used to be live, but been out of the water for a while) that I am going to reseed and cycle.

Plans are for a variety of zoa's, torch, flavia, frogspawn, and Monti-cap frags that I harvest from my main tank. Some ornamental shrimp and possibly a pom pom crab. Not thinking of any fish, but perhaps a barnacle blenny at some point.

Just finished my aquascaping borrowing from the freshwater iwagumi concepts. Going to add water and Dr. Tims bacteria in the next day or so to start the cycling at get things online.

Thanks for looking.

Carlos

post-24620-1318366981_thumb.jpg

post-24620-1318366990_thumb.jpg

post-24620-1318367003_thumb.jpg

post-24620-1318367013_thumb.jpg

Again, I was curious if anyone out there using only the Brightest MR11 12V 10 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle?? If so what kind of livestock are you keeping? Or can someone answer what they think I can keep with these? Thanks

RC

Again, I was curious if anyone out there using only the Brightest MR11 12V 10 SMD LED Bulb Wide Angle?? If so what kind of livestock are you keeping? Or can someone answer what they think I can keep with these? Thanks

RC

I did a ton of research when looking for lighting options. I Passes these up because it seemed the the MR11 would only be good for Soft corals like mushrooms and zoas. The MR16 style seemed like they could just bearly handle LPS corals.

Has anyone tried fitting a Aquaclear 30 into the fluval edge? I know its a little bit bigger than the 20.

Havent personally tried it but people have apparently had success with the AC50

AC50?! thats way wider than the back cover allows even if u cut it. wow. Well if anyone has had success with the AC30 please let me know :)

do you have one? several people have claimed they have fit it in no prob.

in fact, click the page back button on the bottom and read.

page 29.

Just as I thought. He had to customize it to fit the AC50. There is no way of fitting it and keeping the stock hood and back. If you look closely at the pictures he does have the back "brace" behind the tank. Its the AC50 covered by a custom made hood. From what I have read you can fit an AC30 into the back of the tank by cutting the light fixtures arms a bit. That way you can still keep the stock look of the tank. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

Edited by MatthewStarr
Just as I thought. He had to customize it to fit the AC50. There is no way of fitting it and keeping the stock hood and back. If you look closely at the pictures he does have the back "brace" behind the tank. Its the AC50 covered by a custom made hood. From what I have read you can fit an AC30 into the back of the tank by cutting the light fixtures arms a bit. That way you can still keep the stock look of the tank. Just wondering if anyone has done this.

I suggest you hit the back button and read again. Or use the search button. People have done this.

Ah I see where u mean sorry, I didn't see that part. Well what sucks is I have the fluval edge fixture from nanocustoms so because of such a tight squeeze if I purchase the AC50 I won't be able to fit the power cord that goes from the driver to the light fixture itself :( I guess the AC30 it is then.

RC

I am after the same thing, check out this thread

link

Two MR11 are supported by couple of LED stripes and if you go trough the posts you will see that he has some lps corals with this kind of light.

I consider either these LED strips or Corallife bulb as an addition to two MR11, I'd like to have some soft corals and maybe hammer or frogspawn. Do you guys think they will be ok?

Has anyone tried fitting a Aquaclear 30 into the fluval edge? I know its a little bit bigger than the 20.

Depending on your lighting the AC50 will fit with a little sanding. That's what I'm running on mine. Be careful with nano tuners there have been lots of unsatisfied clients recently check the threads. I made my own fixture using one of the aquastyle kits cost me $101 shipped came with everythI g I needed except a soldering iron.

I'm needing some opinions! I just swapped out the aquaclear 20 for a Fluval 105 canister. I now have all of this room where the HOB filter was and am wondering if there is a HOB skimmer that would fit in its place. I don't run the hood ever, and there is a good 1.25" between the back of my nanocustoms light to the aquarium back. Any ideas?

tank set up for about half a year. first tank

sand bed starting to mature (now i understand what that meant)

1 osellarias clown (will turn black)

1 Yellow Clown Goby

1 Cleaner skunk

2 harlequin shrimps

3 maxi mini nem

10% water change twice a week (easy with a small nano, literally takes 15 minutes)

hammer (not doing too well)

4 colony of zoas

palys (purple death/nuclear green)

green mushrooms

hand leather

gsp

xenia

ricordea

favia

DSC05893.jpg

DSC05866.jpg

taken a while ago, corals were shocked thus not fully opened.

Edited by hoyuen

For all of you guys who own a nanotuners LED fixture for the edge and have one strip of all blues, who uses it as a moonlight during the night? The guys at nanotuners told me that even at the lowest setting the blues are too bright to use as a moonlight. I was wondering how true that is. Anyone?

Matt couldn't you just drill a hole in the back of the lid to run the wire out behind the AC50 and basically its completely hidden while keeping your stock look? Just a though, as the bigger you can get for filtration the better.

For all of you guys who own a nanotuners LED fixture for the edge and have one strip of all blues, who uses it as a moonlight during the night? The guys at nanotuners told me that even at the lowest setting the blues are too bright to use as a moonlight. I was wondering how true that is. Anyone?

Well one strip is 6 Blues and a moon light should only be one or two. Also you can only dim them so much before the go off.

Agree. I'm running only 1 LED from the rapidled.com moonlight kit, and at full current I found it too bright. I added a 10K pot and it dimmed down perfectly.

Well one strip is 6 Blues and a moon light should only be one or two. Also you can only dim them so much before the go off.