Cultivated Reef

Fluval Edge Tank Thread

fcruz420

I was hoping that they would incorporate a larger opening that's collar would be higher and even possibly a curved top glass to get ride of those dam micro bubbles :P

It would be easy to build your own or have one built for you. The nice thing would be that you could pick your own lights, shape, and drill if you want. I love the edge, but ppl have used this design for a while now.

Here is my edge setup. Turned it up in January 2011

Equipment:

Fluval Edge 6gal tank

AquaMaxx HOB-1 Hang-On-Back Protein Skimmer

Ehime Ecco Filter- Running Biopelts / Carbon

EcoTech Marine MP10 Vortech Propeller Pump w/ EcoSMART Driver

JBJ T3-150 True Temp Heating System w/Controller & Titanium Heating Element

Two Ecoxotic PANORAMA 12W 8000K/453NM

Seachem Reef Salt

Custom:

Higher tank stand

Light hood

Stock:

Live Rock 4 lbs

3 Hermit crabs

2 turbo snails

2 clumps Zoanthids “One has been killed by Nudibranchs”

Metallic orange Mushroom “Now impeller casualty”

Metallic green Mushroom

1 Fire fish

2 clown fish

1 Yellow Gobi

1 Frog Spawn Coral

1 hammer Head Coral

1 Brain Coral frag

1 LPS Large Polyp

10 lbs live sand

Maintenance:

2 Gal Water change once a week.

Kent Tech CB A & B used to hold Ca2 at 440

Fish Food Elos Marine "One pinch every two days"

Dried Phytoplankton "One pinch a week"

Marine Snow "one cap a week"

On the Neon color issue I see in the previous threads. I have the same issue. Faded... I will be adding a blue light to see if that helps with the neon as well as Elos Omega Aminoacids to see what happens. The blog of the history of the tank is here- Reef Blog

Here is my edge setup. Turned it up in January 2011

Stock:

Live Rock 4 lbs

1 Fire fish

2 clown fish

1 Yellow Gobi

Wow that is incredibly overstocked.

Wow that is incredibly overstocked.

I was expecting him to list his 15 gallon refugium at some point. No. These fish are surviving in 5 gallons of water.

I was expecting him to list his 15 gallon refugium at some point. No. These fish are surviving in 5 gallons of water.

I'm still on my first nano reef so I'm no expert, but I have 2 clowns + a par goby/shrimp in my fluval edge, and they are all doing great for at least 3 months now, I have had absolutely no problems with the fish or the corals since day 1.

I change minimum 2 gallons a week + cleaning the main filter and the circulation pump filter at least 2 times a week to get as much waste out of the aquarium as possible.

Here is my question, how bad is overstocking as long as you keep your aquarium super clean with water changes and other cleaning. And i'm talking like my setup and the guy above, not 5+ fish in the fluval edge!

Edited by Zofix
I'm still on my first nano reef so I'm no expert, but I have 2 clowns + a par goby/shrimp in my fluval edge, and they are all doing great for at least 3 months now, I have had absolutely no problems with the fish or the corals since day 1.

I change minimum 2 gallons a week + cleaning the main filter and the circulation pump filter at least 2 times a week to get as much waste out of the aquarium as possible.

Here is my question, how bad is overstocking as long as you keep your aquarium super clean with water changes and other cleaning. And i'm talking like my setup and the guy above, not 5+ fish in the fluval edge!

It's not just about water quality, fish need room to swim. You can keep a fish in a cup for a couple of hours while you transport them, but they can't live like that. It's like people trying to keep tangs in tanks that have less horizontal room than 4 ft.... for the SMALLEST tangs.

I myself have the same Fluval Edge, and have a Yellow Watchman Goby, and a baby Onyx Clown in there, but eventually when he grows out he'll get a new home. That list, is WAY over stocked.

I want to actually plumb a sump up to my Fluval, but it has been running for months, and I will not be doing any drilling... So doing some googling, i found this this external nano overflow. The dimensions look like they will fit fine, and wanted to ask the group if anyone thought this might cause a problem? My biggest concern would be to keep the water level above the plastic rim, but think it should be just fine with this overflow.

Any thoughts?

I

I want to actually plumb a sump up to my Fluval, but it has been running for months, and I will not be doing any drilling... So doing some googling, i found this this external nano overflow. The dimensions look like they will fit fine, and wanted to ask the group if anyone thought this might cause a problem? My biggest concern would be to keep the water level above the plastic rim, but think it should be just fine with this overflow.

Any thoughts?

the overflow will fit in the back but you will have to do some modifications to the box that sits in the tank. one its too big. the box that goes in the tank will cover your lights. i myself made a new box and cut the lip that connects the inside box to the overflow. and just used a zip tie to connect them together.

the overflow will fit in the back but you will have to do some modifications to the box that sits in the tank. one its too big. the box that goes in the tank will cover your lights. i myself made a new box and cut the lip that connects the inside box to the overflow. and just used a zip tie to connect them together.

I'm actually going to have my NanoCustoms Fluval Edge LED fixture coming shortly, so I could always slide that up a little bit so it would touch the lights....

I'm struggling to piece together what you just said above, can you post some pictures if possible? Did you use this particular overflow or make your own?

post-65133-1303151519_thumb.jpg this is the view from the top. if you dont cut the lip that the collection box connects too ( i guess thats what its called) you wont be able to fit you had inside the tank. Edited by jolo9534
Has anyone hooked up a chiller to their Edge? Water temp. is getting up in the upper mid 80’s

and it’s only March. I’m using two “Brightest” MR11 LED bulbs in the stock sockets, and a coralife 10W 50/50 bulb above the glass.

Thanks for your help.

My Setup: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VFUSUB8DFc

I posted the same question after you and didn't receive any replies either. I have the same problem. My tank is at work and they turn off the A/C on weekends to save money. Monday mornings my tank is in the mid-80s just from the ambient temperature.

So I went ahead and ordered an IceProbe and controller. Unfortunately the controllers seem to be back-ordered everwhere so I just have the chiller itself at the moment. The Iceprobe is larger than it looks in the pictures. I had hoped to be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the stock HOB and hide the chiller in the tower. Not even close to enough room. So currently it's just sitting in the HOB from the top with no filter media. It's large enough so it won't fall into the HOB. But it's too tall for the stock hood to fit. I'm think of either building an entirely new hood or just an open frame so the stock hood sits higher. I have some purapad that I plan on cutting to fit around the chiller. But the Iceprobe seems to be working. With the filter, lights and powerhead on the water temp is now almost 4 degrees below the room temp. I'll have to wait until Monday to see how it performs over the weekend.

Since there is nothing but water in my tank right now, I've turned off the heater since without the chiller controller the heater and the chiller would just be fighting each other. Plus I'm curious to see how much the Iceprobe can cool the water.

Other suggested mounting techniques would be to drill the tank and insert the Iceprobe from the back. But I don't really want a 5" long white cylinder sticking into my tank. Installing it into a sump or canister filter has been suggested. I don't really want a sump and all of the canister filters I've found are round so install the Iceprobe into the side would be tough. If anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in.

post-65133-1303151519_thumb.jpg this is the view from the top. if you dont cut the lip that the collection box connects too ( i guess thats what its called) you wont be able to fit you had inside the tank.

Is that the eshopps overflow? That looks like the older one, the Nano one looks cleaner... Just curious, but thinking I can do this! Wooohoo!

• 2 weeks later...
Ron_Rocco

I've got a chiller hooked up to mine - just a CL85 but it does the trick. Temp control via the RKL and plumbed into my sump.

Simular setup using a modified ehops overflow.

I posted the same question after you and didn't receive any replies either. I have the same problem. My tank is at work and they turn off the A/C on weekends to save money. Monday mornings my tank is in the mid-80s just from the ambient temperature.

So I went ahead and ordered an IceProbe and controller. Unfortunately the controllers seem to be back-ordered everwhere so I just have the chiller itself at the moment. The Iceprobe is larger than it looks in the pictures. I had hoped to be able to drill a hole in the bottom of the stock HOB and hide the chiller in the tower. Not even close to enough room. So currently it's just sitting in the HOB from the top with no filter media. It's large enough so it won't fall into the HOB. But it's too tall for the stock hood to fit. I'm think of either building an entirely new hood or just an open frame so the stock hood sits higher. I have some purapad that I plan on cutting to fit around the chiller. But the Iceprobe seems to be working. With the filter, lights and powerhead on the water temp is now almost 4 degrees below the room temp. I'll have to wait until Monday to see how it performs over the weekend.

Since there is nothing but water in my tank right now, I've turned off the heater since without the chiller controller the heater and the chiller would just be fighting each other. Plus I'm curious to see how much the Iceprobe can cool the water.

Other suggested mounting techniques would be to drill the tank and insert the Iceprobe from the back. But I don't really want a 5" long white cylinder sticking into my tank. Installing it into a sump or canister filter has been suggested. I don't really want a sump and all of the canister filters I've found are round so install the Iceprobe into the side would be tough. If anyone has any other suggestions, please jump in.

Equipment:

Custom Hood

(3) Coralife 50/50 10w bulbs

Stock filter & filter media (for now)

Livestock:

1 Pulsing Xenia

1 Tank bred Ocellaris clownfish

2 Astrea snails

3 Blue leg hermit crabs

20127010150580912365287.jpg

20181810150580912835287.jpg

21874110150580912720287.jpg

wetpets@home

I got so inspired by the fluval edge nano's I set my heart of a second hand one goingon ebay. Then last night got caught up with Mum goingto hospital and missed it when the auction was finsihed! Waaaah! When I get back from holidays and financial again I'm gong to go buy one.

I only have to top off once every 2 or 3 days. Not worth an ATO system IMO

hrmmm i havea tunze ato laying around here somewhere... wondering if it or some other variant will fit?

hrmmm i havea tunze ato laying around here somewhere... wondering if it or some other variant will fit?

During the week I top off only a couple times. Over the weekend the IceProbe chiller runs and seems to evaporate almost 1/2 gallon over the 2 weekend days. Another reason to move the damn chiller out of the HOB.

- Ron

I've been using an eye dropper! :P Couldn't resist!

I really do use a large pill bottle. Anything large gets clumsy and gets water everywhere.

Hey guys. I've had a Fluval Edge aquarium sitting in my closet for a few months after I took down the freshwater setup I had going in there. I still really like the sleek looks of the Edge so I've recently decided to set it up as a small reef tank.

Here's what I have setup so far:

FTS (no flash)

DSCN0600.JPG

FTS (with flash)

DSCN0601.JPG

Current Equipment:

• Fluval Edge 6.6gal Aquarium
  • stock AquaClear 20 HOB filter (AC30 upgrade in near future)
  • Fluval Edge heater (will upgrade with filter)
  • 2x MR11 GU4 Base 10 LEDs SMD 5050 LED Bulb Wide Angle Cool White 6000K bulbs
  • Filter floss (Purigen and CPE once cycle is complete)
  • 5lbs dry reef rock from ReefCleaners.org
  • 5lbs dry reef sand

Current light setup will be replaced by NanoCustoms Edge fixture that I ordered April 12th. LED arrangement will be Cool White, Royal Blue, Cool White.

Potential Stocklist:

Fish (2-3 max)

• Blue Head Combtooth Blenny purchased
  • Helfrichi Firefish purchased
  • Tanaka's Pygmy Wrasse
  • Neon Goby

Invertebrates

• Maxi Mini Carpet Anemones
  • Sexy Shrimp trio
  • Micro Brittle Stars
  • Dwarf Cerith Snails
  • Virgin Nerite Snails
  • Blood Shrimp

Corals - LPS and Softies

• Purple Frogspawn
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Zoanthids
  • Ricordea Florida

So, let me know what you think. Any suggestions for stocking or equipment ideas? Thanks for any advice!

Have any of the people who ordered the Nanocustoms 3.6 led fixture gotten it yet???

Cant seem to find any pics online...I thought that the shipping times were so slow because a lot of people bought them..where are the pics??!?!?!?!?! Or did they just spend 4 months making 3 or 4 fixtures? lol

grafxalien

i am currently in the planning phase of setting up a fluval edge. Would anyone be willing to give me all of the dimensions of the tank? Tank, stand, the upper lip area of the tank, glass thickness, stand thickness etc? I want to make an exact model in google sketchup so I can play around with some ideas. I will post the finished sketchup file so anyone can use it.