Top Shelf Aquatics

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Thanks for that Video - it's making me rethink how I currently hatch my fry - I've always kept my water level higher and positioned the eggs at the top of the pot so that the bubbles hit most of them right on. I've got a B&W hatch this week and I'm going to give your set up here a shot.
it will work, just remember to position bubbles where they move the eggs , mainly what i did was watch the male fan them and they moved pretty good so the way i do it was not as rough but still moved all the eggs...

Took me two attempts but I got my true percs to meta - bumped up the temp from the start seems to make all the difference.

Hey you guys running the large tubs are you running air in your grow out tubs? I'm starting to think it might be a good idea - I can see the volume growing pretty fast.

we have a hatch! I'm guessing about 300 or so eggs on the pvc, and its at 1/3 hatched so far. tomorrow I will add the rotifers and a little green water. From my own experience, I add green water a little at a time and feed rots everyday. Day 4 I toss in a pinch of oto A with them.

th_clownhatch.jpg

Edited by slumpysix

You could always get harsh like I did and take away the rocks. If you can't do that stick a pot as close to the spot they spawn in as you can. At some point they should get the hint.

I thought staying p half the night shining a flash light in the corner of the tank to catch fry was the worst part.

I thought staying p half the night shining a flash light in the corner of the tank to catch fry was the worst part.

lol those days are over for me, day seven i pull pot and rest is history , i let the bubbler deal with it all...

looks like we stalled out at about 100. the rest of the nest didnt hatch. Maybe they will during the day but I gotta go to work!

Worse comes to worse, 100 fry isn't a bad number to work with. Congrats! None of mine have been laying, but not really concerned too much, need to get them over to the breeder setup.

Trying to decide if I should leave my Fancy White with his regular female, or pair him with a Snowflake.

Did you pull the ones that didn't hatch and move them to a different tank?

I've never had luck leaving eggs in the same tank with fry for a second night.

If you don't feed the fry you have you end up losing most of them.

If you feed them and leave the eggs most often the eggs will spoil and take out the fry with them.

That's just been my experience - typically if I have a decent hatch but want to give the remaining eggs another go - I'll pull that nest and move it to another hatch tank and feed the fry that did hatch like normal.

I actually just got home and put the pvc fitting back into the parents tank. 5 mins later, papa cleaned the pipe off. Just added some more rots, green water and I am very happy with the results. I appreciate the feedback and thanks for letting me continue to post in your thread. I can start my own if it strays away from your adventure.

thanks again,

Jeff

This is momma and papa. I have had them since 2006. Spawing since 2007 I think..

post-29009-1349989588_thumb.jpg

Edited by slumpysix

Glad it worked out - scared me when i heard you say you left the other eggs in... just form my own experience it never ended well.

And this is the breeders lounge - everyone is welcome to post breeding and related in here. If I wanted it to be all about me I'd change the name to "All about Pickles Breeding" but that could be more confusing to people. :huh:

I had just left the nest in the larva tank during the day. I've had nests hit 15 minutes after lights out and some hours. You just know when its not gonna happen.. :)

I had just left the nest in the larva tank during the day. I've had nests hit 15 minutes after lights out and some hours. You just know when its not gonna happen.. :)

I do too when they don't hatch - I've gone 3 days in the larvae tank with the air on them. It's when half of them hatch and I try to keep the nest going one more night that runs me into trouble.

Pulled the seond nest from my Black and white pair this week and got a nice hatch from them last night. Once I hatch out my snows on Sunday I'll officially have 3 fry tanks going at once. 1 Perc - 1 B&W and 1 Snow!

FishEyeAquaculture
Hey you guys running the large tubs are you running air in your grow out tubs? I'm starting to think it might be a good idea - I can see the volume growing pretty fast.

Yep!

can someone point me to specific grow-out tank setups? I want to get my new system going but I waana see some! I know you guys know where they are... ;)

I would think it would really depend on how much room you have... my grow out is over 600g and in it's own room. In my "guide to breeding" thread there are pictures of the grow out Lalani set up in her house with 30g tanks and a sump.

I'm using 100g tubs with 200g sump and 160g's in glass tanks.

yeah I have a fish room but I'm looking to setup a 40g tub and a 29g glass tank. with a 20g sump. I have about 70g of tanks for the larva and broadstock. I will check them out.

So I'm happy I have had few die-offs and they seem to be rockin! I may have to pull the rock nest from my blackies and try this again. It really makes the difference. The rock isnt that big after all and managable.