Coral Vue Hydros

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Pretty much. I expected them to be higher. I mean, look what people are paying for Wyoming Whites! :wacko:

LOL... I agree - ORA / Dr F&S are for sure leaving some money on the table.

baileybum1234

Well I have been busy with work the last few days so not been able to feed twice a day, just the once. I have lost 5 fish over this period :0( I think it must be the lack of food I just cant think of anything else.

I have been doing water changes and now have the amonia down to yellow on seachem test badge for the first time.

I still have about 30 left. Is there anything I need to be thinking about? I have brought a D&D nanocube 24 second hand as a grow out tank but got a bit worried when I thought about moving them.

I am still feeding the ground flake foods.

Cheers

Jarrett

Edited by baileybum1234

Alright - I have a question - do Perculas typically take longer to hit meta then Ocellaris?

I have two hatches - side by side, one of each getting the exact same feedings. The Ocellaris passed passed through meta a week ago and the Percs have yet to show any sign of meta at all.

Is that normal?

FishEyeAquaculture
Alright - I have a question - do Perculas typically take longer to hit meta then Ocellaris?

I have two hatches - side by side, one of each getting the exact same feedings. The Ocellaris passed passed through meta a week ago and the Percs have yet to show any sign of meta at all.

Is that normal?

Yes, but only a few days over here.

Yes, but only a few days over here.

I'm just wondering if because it's a smaller hatch they didn't catch on to the OTO as quickly as the larger hatches do. It will be interesting to see if the difference is as notable moving forward.

I have lost 8 over the last 2 days. Something is up. I thought it was the light on the heater had come unwrapped from the black tape so sorted that but when I got home another 3 gone.

Water changing again and amonia low.

I am feeding pulverised flake twice a day. mornign and evening.

It must be food so started dosing rottifers again in the hope it might build them up?? Its all I can think of. Bit gutted since I have got them this far.

Jarrett

That's really wierd - I don't cover my heater lights at all. I have been using the fluval heaters though and they have a soft blue light. Don't know if it makes a difference.

I'm still assuming your issue is nutrition and the weaning from feeds. Can you see them all striking food when you feed?

Thanks for the link. I appreciate it but it appears to not be working. Maybe that place is down for maintenance. I'll try it again later. Thank you.

If the link doesn't work for you it's the MOFIB web site - you can google that and it's in their Marketplace section.

That's really wierd - I don't cover my heater lights at all. I have been using the fluval heaters though and they have a soft blue light. Don't know if it makes a difference.

I'm still assuming your issue is nutrition and the weaning from feeds. Can you see them all striking food when you feed?

Yeah I can see them striking food and on the look out. I guess there is just not so mutch about with out the rottifers.

My heater is a chepie with a red light. Im sure I lost a whole batch from not covering it. Fried fry lol

Having added rottifers for the last 2 days and left the light on last night appears to have worked. I was loosing about 5-6 a day but not there looking healthy and no losses since yesterday morning. I think you were right pickly maybe I got the weaning feeds wrong and didnt overlap long enough.

I have about 20 left but planning the next batch and will try that fry feed you guys are using and see the difference.

Jarrett

My snowflakes just had their first spawn! I've been watching them all night :D

I have algae cultures but no rotifers started, only cysts :(

Congrats - Sounds like it's time to get the rots up and going.

Congrats - Sounds like it's time to get the rots up and going.

Do you think 6-7 days is enough time to get them going in time for the hatch? I wasnt expecting for this pair to breed so quickly.

Not unless you are starting with live rots - if you ordered from someplace like Florida Aqua Farms you could have your rot culture up to speed in about 3 days. I usually go 5 days when starting rots - 3 days to get them up to speed then split between 2 buckets and give them a couple more days to build the numbers back up and then start harvesting.

I've never started with cysts - I'd imagine that would take longer to get going. I know you start them in shallow water with some low light and build over time as they hatch and start reproducing.

Not unless you are starting with live rots - if you ordered from someplace like Florida Aqua Farms you could have your rot culture up to speed in about 3 days. I usually go 5 days when starting rots - 3 days to get them up to speed then split between 2 buckets and give them a couple more days to build the numbers back up and then start harvesting.

I've never started with cysts - I'd imagine that would take longer to get going. I know you start them in shallow water with some low light and build over time as they hatch and start reproducing.

yeah I've started the cysts before, they take longer than a live culture but they are nice to have on hand.

I have a rotifer culture I unplugged and stopped feeding a week ago that is still showing signs of life. I added some algae and plugged it back in to see what happens. I'll start the cysts too just in case.

just my luck, huh? shut down the culture and the clowns spawn. sheesh!

i pray if yo need roti's let me know

i can ship some over to you if need be

Is that normal?

bump your heat up a degree.

it will take care of the slow meta

bump your heat up a degree.

it will take care of the slow meta

Thanks Rich... These guys are way behind my Snows - the snow have been moved to grow out and I'm not even seeing head stripes on the Percs yet... it's making me crazy. They are only 2 days apart in hatching. Temp right now is 83. I'll bump it a degree or two tonight.

I've finally gotten serious about maintaining a facebook page for my progress and clowns. Out on the west coast there are a lot of smaller clubs and it's hard to maintain this thread and the all the smaller board clubs. N-R will always be home since this is where I started with reef keeping but hopefully I can combine my smaller club threads to my facebook page. Pickle's California Clowns.

My perculas take a long time. I just had my very first snow eggs hatch and they have headstripes sooo much faster than my percs. I think its normal!

I'm just so used to seeing meta in 7 days that it's completely throwing me. These guys are still taking waaaaayyyy to long though. Although - with a flash light I think I'm starting to see a glimmer of color on some of them.