Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I would bet he is judging by the pic I had seen of him. Males don't need to be very old to fertilize - I think the bigger trick is if the female is convinced he is mature enough. I've had issues pairing producing females with young juvi's only to try again 4 - 6 months later when the juvi was much larger and the female would finally accept him. The only difference being the size and maturity of the male.

Leads me to believe if he is paired with a known producing female and she accepts him that he is most likely mature enough.

FishEyeAquaculture
Some of the nicest I've seen yet: http://reefbuilders.com/2012/09/04/phantom...nfish-sea-reef/

I'm going to head home and give my Darwin / Super Snow a pep talk!

Sweet fish!!!! But I feel as though I was ripped off on the name.... http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=2563908

OH WELL!!!!

Edited by FishEyeAquaculture
FishEyeAquaculture

Very, very busy...but hey, I can't complain!!!! I still keep an eye out for everything that goes on around here...this is my favorite forum.

Very, very busy...but hey, I can't complain!!!! I still keep an eye out for everything that goes on around here...this is my favorite forum.

Well DUH... I almost called you this weekend but figured I'd give you a break for the holiday.

FishEyeAquaculture
Well DUH... I almost called you this weekend but figured I'd give you a break for the holiday.

There are no breaks or holidays! Plus, you can call anytime!

they look cool, looks like they beat ora to it,, either way very nice fish , isnt phantom used by sanjay???

Phantom or Photon? I don't think he used Phantom.

There are no breaks or holidays! Plus, you can call anytime!

ha ha.. now you're in trouble!

Phantom or Photon? I don't think he used Phantom.

ha ha.. now you're in trouble!

ah you are very correct on that.... they look cool either way, wonder what price tag they will bring??

ah you are very correct on that.... they look cool either way, wonder what price tag they will bring??

I'd imagine a pretty penny for the first kids on the block to get one.

Hey Pickle I know you breeders use prime, I think Seachem made another product in the aquavitro series or something like that that's 50% more active...

http://www.aquavitro.com/products/alpha.html

Hey, good looking out - I'll check it out.

A coule stores around here carry it. I just bought a bottle of Amquel...not sure I like it.

I haven't heard the best stuff about Amquel. I don't recall the specifics (it was a while ago that we talked about it) but from what I do remember the people that used it didn't have the best results and that's why I went with Prime - never had any issues with it but this new stuff just seems like a beefed up version of Prime.

I haven't heard the best stuff about Amquel. I don't recall the specifics (it was a while ago that we talked about it) but from what I do remember the people that used it didn't have the best results and that's why I went with Prime - never had any issues with it but this new stuff just seems like a beefed up version of Prime.

Yeah, I think it might have killed one of my little hybrids. I added about 7 drops yesterday morning, came home from work to find them all on the bottom of their tank, breathing quite heavily. I moved them over to another tank and all but one recovered. The only thing I did was add the AmQuel. Won't be doing that again.

Edited by hooligan_78
baileybum1234

Well I had a couple of losses a day ago (2 week ones) also one has half a tail and struggling (maybe been bullied and bitten). I am more worried about a healthy one laying at the bottom of the tnk breathing heavy. I am dripping a large water change just in case. I am still struggling to wean them off rottifers. They are eating ground flak but still bennifiting from rottifers. They seam to really perk up when I add some. Most have fully got their stripes now but its almost 3 weeks.

Ps I have stopped the brine shrimp.

Edited by baileybum1234

I'd imagine you've been chasing the water quality due to the feedings or over feedings.

What I've found is that large clutches are much easier to raise. 300 fry are much easier to manage then 30 - as they control the rot population and don't leave excess nutrients in the tank. It's a matter of keeping up with water changes and letting them do their thing.

I'm currently raising a very small hatch of true percs. It's the first time I'm raising them otherwise I may have not bothered with the hatch. It seems like I'm constantly making adjustments for them. In the tank next to them I have a few hundred ocellaris / snow flakes and they are on auto pilot.

On your next hatch you should focus on a plan for feeding. Start the rots / introduce your dry at day 3 or 4 / cut off your rots at day 9 or 10 and start feeding crushed foods at around day 19 or so weaning of your dry powder at closer to day 23. Let the feeds overlap and let them adjust.

I actually introduce OTO at day 2 or 3 and by day 5 they are hitting it hard and after a week they are in meta - I have to believe it's the quality of the feed that gives them the boost to develop.

After meta though - I rarely see losses unless I don't acclimate well enough when transfering to grow out.

I hate to admit this but I've had hatches get to 3 weeks and I've compltely forgotten to add the sponge filter and they've done just fine. Off to growout they go! But I never slack on keeping up with water changes.

Yeah, I think it might have killed one of my little hybrids. I added about 7 drops yesterday morning, came home from work to find them all on the bottom of their tank, breathing quite heavily. I moved them over to another tank and all but one recovered. The only thing I did was add the AmQuel. Won't be doing that again.

This is why I have a hard time straying form what I know works.

2 Pots - 1 Tank!

So last night I had both Snows and Percs due to hatch but only one open 10g tank to hatch them in. The percs where a smaller nest but I still wanted to try it... Soooo... I had to get a little creative.

I preped my hatch tank and set both pots in the tank face to face - Then ran the airline in the back of one of the pots to a 4 inch air stone that I set right in the middle and pushed the pots as close as I could together.

Woke up this morning to a very nice hatch and looks like both nests made it off just fine.

2 Pots - 1 Tank!

So last night I had both Snows and Percs due to hatch but only one open 10g tank to hatch them in. The percs where a smaller nest but I still wanted to try it... Soooo... I had to get a little creative.

I preped my hatch tank and set both pots in the tank face to face - Then ran the airline in the back of one of the pots to a 4 inch air stone that I set right in the middle and pushed the pots as close as I could together.

Woke up this morning to a very nice hatch and looks like both nests made it off just fine.

Go Macguyver! That's awesome!

I guess you are paying for a designer name there.

It's supply and demand - and you are paying to be the first on your block to own a pair. The price will come down eventually as more breeders start to produce them.