Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I'm lucky enough to finally be able to pull the nest from my Orange O's and bubble them to hatch... So what I need to know is whats a good bubble rate and when should I pull the nest?

Thanks for the help!

Treat them like a woman

Hit them hard with a big bubble

:)

LMAO - Thanks Rich - needed a laugh today.

The best bubbler that I've found is the cheapo blue plastic backed one sold at WallyMart. It lets me keep a slower (decent) flow rate and the bubbles are large enough that they don't get stuck between the eggs. As for flow - you just want to ensure the eggs aren't getting beaten but enough flow to move them around a little. I don't worry about hitting all the eggs - I just center it on the nest and let the bubbles and bublle flow do the rest.

Edited by Pickle010
LMAO - Thanks Rich - needed a laugh today.

The best bubbler that I've found is the cheapo blue plastic backed one sold at WallyMart. It lets me keep a slower (decent) flow rate and the bubbles are large enough that they don't get stuck between the eggs. As for flow - you just want to ensure the eggs aren't getting beaten but enough flow to move them around a little. I don't worry about hitting all the eggs - I just center it on the nest and let the bubbles and bublle flow do the rest.

whats works for me if your using pots of coarse is to just use the small hard ridged line tubing with the end exposed and just do couple bubbles a seconds, they dont even have to touch the eggs just center it and bam ,works for me these past couple hatches with 100% hatch rate, talked to a buddy of mine thats also a breeder and turned me on to the idea and it beats using the airstone with all those micro bubbles, like you said the bubbles dont even have to touch the fry as long as it moves them around, plus the hard plastic tube stays in place, well for me at least.... hth collecting a hatch this saturday and ill post a video on here so you see what im talking about!!! Edited by oceancube

I would for sure be interested in seeing that video - that does sound like it would be a lot easier. Easier to clean and maintain as well.

cool! Mine actually laid the nest on a 1" elbow and strainer inside the tank, its an exposed overflow you could say. I just have to pull it off, place a new one in its place and then let the hatch happen. When its over I will put the original elbow back in so they can continue.. I'll post a pic of what I had to make up to bubble next to the elbow.

I would for sure be interested in seeing that video - that does sound like it would be a lot easier. Easier to clean and maintain as well.
saturday night ill have a video up so you can more less see how i do it with great success sofar..

So in the first pic of dad, you can see the nest on the elbow. The second pic is what I came up with to bubble the eggs. Its a first go doing this as I always have had to use a larva snagger to get them out.

post-29009-1349392038_thumb.jpg

post-29009-1349392047_thumb.jpg

I agree - nice job getting them elevated and bubbled - I never had much luck with the small bubble heads, if you have a rough time I'd try what was suggested here earlier and just try a piece of rigid line open and see if that does better for you.

Holy christwagons Mike! Is the sun even up in Cali yet?!

LOL... just checked the thread before work. Time to make the donuts comes early in the AM.

whats works for me if your using pots of coarse is to just use the small hard ridged line tubing with the end exposed and just do couple bubbles a seconds, they dont even have to touch the eggs just center it and bam ,works for me these past couple hatches with 100% hatch rate, talked to a buddy of mine thats also a breeder and turned me on to the idea and it beats using the airstone with all those micro bubbles, like you said the bubbles dont even have to touch the fry as long as it moves them around, plus the hard plastic tube stays in place, well for me at least.... hth collecting a hatch this saturday and ill post a video on here so you see what im talking about!!!

So did we get a video to share? I will do one on Wed evening if I am able to.

So did we get a video to share? I will do one on Wed evening if I am able to.

i actually did lol , ill post in a bit gotta upload it from my phone,,, ;)

i actually did lol , ill post in a bit gotta upload it from my phone,,, ;)

C'mon man - don't leave us hanging!

Just pulled my new ReeFlo Hammerhead/Barracuda Hybrid out of the box... gentlemen... this thing is huge!!! I've seen smaller pool pumps!

Aw yeah son! I hear nothing but good things about these pumps. I'm still waiting for my breeder tanks to get done cycling. Waiting sucks.

Aw yeah son! I hear nothing but good things about these pumps. I'm still waiting for my breeder tanks to get done cycling. Waiting sucks.

I love my Dart - I just wanted more flow. The wife thought I was nuts drooling over it last night... even more nuts after I took pictures of it. I knew reef peeps would understand though.

So here is a quick vid of my bubbler. I will post a vid if I can capture the hatch. I will adjust the bubbles once I have the nest in place. Sorry, don't know how to imbed it in the post, click it to view

th_bubbler_slump.jpg

sorry guys for the late reply, anyhow here's what works for me another batch with great success , so bubbles dont actually have to touch the eggs in order for them to hatch. you can see eggs moving around with the current...

th_bubblervideo.jpg

and i know its a crap video no need to let me know cause i already know...lol but you get the idea....

now after a couple hours after lights go out you need to decrease air coming into the pipette that way the current wont kill any fry.....

my pairs didnt want anything to do with a clay pot. I see how your setup will make the hatch happen. I just plan on a very slow bubble under them. Great video!

Thanks for that Video - it's making me rethink how I currently hatch my fry - I've always kept my water level higher and positioned the eggs at the top of the pot so that the bubbles hit most of them right on. I've got a B&W hatch this week and I'm going to give your set up here a shot.