inTank Media Baskets

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

Lol at my self :(

So I decided at the last second to raise Spawn 3, simply because there were so many fry that had hatched out. So unprepared I siphoned the fry out into a 5g bucket with a heater. By day 3 I am down to 6 fry left. Guess thats what I get for using a heater that won't maintain the water over 78 when I keep my tank at 82.

I also think my siphon method while quite fast is killing off quite a few of the babies. I wasn't planning on raising spawn 3 so I am happy enough to have any survivors still.

As for the big guys, most of them have their first stripe in pretty solid now. They are eating otoA with no problems and I may introduce OtoB soon. They have become pretty easy at this point and just get a once a week waterchange. I need to get some sponge filters and a couple more small tanks for fry growout.

Pickle I am thinking about adding another breeding pair to my Reef, except I will be keeping them in my refugium section. Figured If I can't have a broodstock setup right now, might as well setup a pair in the sump since it has a full lighting cycle and would be tied into a system with a breeding pair.

How long do you think it would take my juvenile snowflake to make the transition to a male and start to fertilize (he would be going in with a mature female).

I've been told that a male can be mature enough at 6 months of age - I think that is on the optimistic side and probably the exception more then the norm.

I have a male that I partnered with a "said to be spawning" darwin last year - he was at least 4 months when I introduced him to her and they had their first spawn this month. Now that's raising him in a broodstock system geared towards breeding with other breeding pairs in the system - I don't know how much more optimal I could of made it for the pair. The Darwin was large so I know she was large enough to spawn when I introduced the pair.

That being said - I think a year is more realistic if paired with a known spawning female.

What are you thinking of raising? Are you looking for a partner for the snow?

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, I was looking to pair the snow with something. Some things have recently changed up though and the wife has agreed to let me build a growout/broodstock setup in the house, nothing to impressive so far but it will have some 40g breeders for growouts, a couple broodstock tanks, and a couple fry tanks (for pre-30 day juveniles or so).

41 inches wide by 20 inches deep by 10 feet tall. Was mostly the wifes idea, and I am just going with it. She wanted to figure out something to get the tanks out of the kitchen, Currently a 20g and a 5.5g tank in there on the counter (lots of counter space :) ).

I will have to get some pictures posted when I get a chance, either way it should be a fun setup and will give me enough room to grow out some clowns.

I will also have the 55g up and running and it will be an anemone dominated growout (get the juveniles use to BTA's).

Soronus has a large Darwin that has not yet spawned but is def old enough, who has been with that snowflake from you for a long time. I figured maybe getting her in a system with my snow and breeding pair would be enough to get her to start spawning, hopefully sooner than later.

Sounds like the way to go... I went through the same thing with my wife - Once it became "her" idea to the do the grow out and add the tanks it was a huge green light - now run with it!

I'm curious to see how your fry are coloring up - any update shots?

Update:

Not much (Crappy cell phone picture) but figured I would post a picture of the oldest juveniles which are now right around 1 month old.

Spawn 2 - 29 DPH

I will try to get you some better pictures tonight or tommorow. I am still running them on a 24 hour light cycle... just haven't seen a reason not to so far lol. I am picking up 5 RBTA's on Saturday, those will go into the 55g tank which will eventually be one of the clown growouts/RBTA Prop tank.

307E5EFD-orig.jpg

Figured I would add some pictures and a video from last night. I bought those RBTA's off of John (Thanks again, and nice meeting you) and as such most of them went into the 55g (future growout for the clowns). One of them however went temporarily into the 20g with the babies. These guys are 30 DPH and already some of them are associating with the nem, goes to show that association isn't something that they learn in the wild, it is encoded in them from birth. I get this question a lot, "will captive bred clowns know to go into my sea anemone", hope this answers that question :). Not to mention its always cool to see clowns in nems.

IMG_3809.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3796.jpg

And of course a short video I threw together with the clowns cruising through the nem, and of the ones who have decided they like the corner of the tank better.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEpZeSLfnXU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Figured I would add some pictures and a video from last night. I bought those RBTA's off of John (Thanks again, and nice meeting you) and as such most of them went into the 55g (future growout for the clowns). One of them however went temporarily into the 20g with the babies. These guys are 30 DPH and already some of them are associating with the nem, goes to show that association isn't something that they learn in the wild, it is encoded in them from birth. I get this question a lot, "will captive bred clowns know to go into my sea anemone", hope this answers that question :). Not to mention its always cool to see clowns in nems.

IMG_3809.jpg
IMG_3812.jpg
IMG_3817.jpg
IMG_3796.jpg

And of course a short video I threw together with the clowns cruising through the nem, and of the ones who have decided they like the corner of the tank better.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/pEpZeSLfnXU

Pairing my B&W Snow with my spawning B&W female hasn't been all that easy - initially I tried to add him to her tank after removing her mate. Well that didn't go well at all. She went on a rampage the moment he hit the tank. So I pulled him and left her in the tank alone for a week then added her to his tank. She wasn't as aggressive but as soon as she found the pot she claimed it as hers and wouldn't let the snow near it. The next step was to take away the pot and leave the two in a bare tank with nothing for her to protect for a few days. The two did great together and starting sleeping in the same corner of the tank. I even noticed at feedings the smaller one was staying close to the female darting out to pick up a bite then rushing back to her side. I've since given them back the pot and now the two are doing well - both using and sleeping in the pot together. I think they are going to work out just fine.

BWS_zps5062f799.jpg

• Like 1

You would think right? The misbar isn't genetic - her offspring are all normal striped - even the male she was partnered with was misbared as well.

I do get misbar snows form time to time from the pair in my sig - but that's more about keeping up the water quality then anything else. Funny thing is I can't keep them - the guys in my local club love them and snag them up pretty quickly.

Builder Anthony

How long do clownfish live.a few years ago i seen a clownfish bigger then my hand it was like six inches.it was the biggest clown i ever seen.Of all places it was at petco but they refusd to sell it.then one eday it was gone.

Thought I would give an update. We have our broodstock system up and running, currently, we have 7 pairs in the system as well as one in our display tank. We haven't had a pair start to lay as of yet, but everyone is getting settled. We have however, been given the opportunity to attempt to raise the fry of another pair that belongs to a local reefer. It is going to be tricky because they lay on the corner of her tank and have refused attempts to use a tile or pot. So we are going to try and catch the fry in a larval trap and transport them to our place the next morning. Not an ideal set up, but the pair are a beautiful snowcasso pair that, I am sure, will create some beautiful fish. Will keep everyone posted on how it goes.

Good Luck! - I've had offers from people that wanted to give me the eggs their pairs spawn but I've never attempted to harvest them. It's hard enough getting a solid hatch at home sometimes much less trying to transport them.

Yeah we know it is going to be a challenge, but we figure seeing as our pairs aren't laying yet it wouldn't hurt to try. We have everything in place to raise fry so we really didn't have to buy anything aside from a 5 gallon tank to bring the fry home. And it seemed like such a waste to have a beautiful pair's eggs go to waste. We will keep you posted.

I'd go with a 5 gallon bucket - and transfer them into the bucket with the parent tank water - maybe a battery powered air pump with a with a valve in the line to turn down the flow a bit - and if it's really cold out I'd go as far as to get a small heater and run it off a converter in the car. You're right - nothing to loose - keep us posted - I hope it goes well.

I just read almost every page of your thread. I just picked up a platinum clown I'm planning on pairing with my plain perc. I was wondering what the offspring would most likley look like?