Top Shelf Aquatics

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

baileybum1234
If they are hitting the dry and the flake - just back off the rots and brine. Feed your ZM and Flake - this will ensure the smaller ones are getting fed with the ZM and then start looking to back off the ZM all together.

They love the ZM 000 and I dopped in a large flake by accident the other day and they started on that.

I will start to back off the rots and brine.

Get the air filter and seeded sponge added sunday. Why do you wait so long to add the sponge is it to stop them been sucked in?

Do you leave the airstone in with the air filter?

Cheers pickle :)

J

Im on day 16.

The more I think about the more I'm thinking you need to focus on weaning off some of the feeds. The only battle I have is that some of your fry are still getting stripes - so still in Meta - I'm going to have to mail you some OTO to try out so you can see the development difference in your next hatch.

It's throwing me a bit because it's just like one of my first successful hatches and my Meta was slow / delayed due to neutrition and Rich (rrgc) sent me out some OTO and I couldn't believe the difference.

By day 20 / 21 I'm already looking to move my fry to grow out. If you had a larger clutch and they where developing this slow I can assure you that you would not be able to maintain the ammonia in the tank long enough for the them to develop as they need to.

They love the ZM 000 and I dopped in a large flake by accident the other day and they started on that.

I will start to back off the rots and brine.

Get the air filter and seeded sponge added sunday. Why do you wait so long to add the sponge is it to stop them been sucked in?

Do you leave the airstone in with the air filter?

Cheers pickle :)

J

I only wait to add the sponge because I had problems adding it early - too soon and it seemed to shock the fry and I had losses. And no, the air / sponge filter should replace your air stone in the tank - no need for both as the sponge filter will help regulate oxygen - plus since you are stopping the rots / tinting there won't be anything competing for oxygen in the tank with the fry.

baileybum1234
The more I think about the more I'm thinking you need to focus on weaning off some of the feeds. The only battle I have is that some of your fry are still getting stripes - so still in Meta - I'm going to have to mail you some OTO to try out so you can see the development difference in your next hatch.

It's throwing me a bit because it's just like one of my first successful hatches and my Meta was slow / delayed due to neutrition and Rich (rrgc) sent me out some OTO and I couldn't believe the difference.

By day 20 / 21 I'm already looking to move my fry to grow out. If you had a larger clutch and they where developing this slow I can assure you that you would not be able to maintain the ammonia in the tank long enough for the them to develop as they need to.

I only wait to add the sponge because I had problems adding it early - too soon and it seemed to shock the fry and I had losses. And no, the air / sponge filter should replace your air stone in the tank - no need for both as the sponge filter will help regulate oxygen - plus since you are stopping the rots / tinting there won't be anything competing for oxygen in the tank with the fry.

Very good of you Pickle, let me know your Paypal and the amount to cover costs ect and I will send you some dosh.

I have decided to do a decent water change today in the fry tank maybe double the water volume from half the tank to just under full what do you think?

I can drip it very slowly?

Jarrett

baileybum1234

Well went out and brought some meaty flake (Ionly had algie flake before) and some freez dried cyclopeezee. If there goung to be living on dried stuff I might as well make it good.

All still playing and darting about and still toping up the tank.

I love feeding the dry cyclopeeze I add it as a power to my fry tanks and I freeze it in RO ice cubes to feed my brood stock. When it's in the ice cubes the adults can pick at the ice and break it up and less seems to get into the overflow.

baileybum1234

Large water change done and air filter added. I left in the air stone for now because I was worried they would fry on the heater.

Should I be giving these poor little things night/day yet?

Im sure some are looking a little orange.

Sponsors or other members? I've never really looked for a pair in the past, but now that I want one for my new tank.... Decisions... Decisions. Anytime someone mentions clown, I think Pickle!!

Sponsors or other members? I've never really looked for a pair in the past, but now that I want one for my new tank.... Decisions... Decisions. Anytime someone mentions clown, I think Pickle!!

try clownfishdepot and or alphacorals.com they both have great fish, brian at clownfish depot produces some of the best looking combo's as well...

baileybum1234

Had a couple of fry die today. First for over a week. Im not sure if it was the addition of the air filter, the water change, or changing the food. I did notice the sg was a bit high so im doing a water change to drop it.

Just noticed a massive batch of eggs appear today. They did have a break because I added a small stick on fry tank for my bangi babies and disturbed them.

Now what am I going to do?

J

It could very well of been the addition of the filter.... I generally like to see my fish well past Meta before adding one (mine hit around day 7 or 8 and I'm adding my filter on around day 24 or 15 - My thought with your babies was that they are already around the day 15 mark and by this time ammonia really starts to become a bigger issue. Keep in mind that I'm also moving them to grow out by day 19 - 21.

Sounds to me like you are going to need to set up another hatching tank!!

try clownfishdepot and or alphacorals.com they both have great fish, brian at clownfish depot produces some of the best looking combo's as well...

+1 both have great fish - I'd also check with rrgc50 or fisheyeaquaculture - they all produce some amazing fish.

Quick update - this last week I hatched out some snows and some True percs - the true percs turned out to be a pretty weak hatch -hopefully the next one gets better. My B&W spawned on Friday as well - the nest is twice the size of their normal nest so I'm thinking I'm going to have to hatch some black and whites next week!

Thanks. Ill check them out too. Im not looking for high end stuff. My lfs said they could get grade B snowflakes for $60 each. That seems fair. Just figured I might get better quality from a member and not get reamed in shipping. Still trying to decide what type if clown to get. I have a bw occ. pair already and was looking for something different. I'm open to suggestions since you guys are the experts here. Thanks.

Quick update - this last week I hatched out some snows and some True percs - the true percs turned out to be a pretty weak hatch -hopefully the next one gets better. My B&W spawned on Friday as well - the nest is twice the size of their normal nest so I'm thinking I'm going to have to hatch some black and whites next week!

sounds good,,, how many breeding pairs do you have now?? im at 3 still only collecting cquest batches for now till i can find me another male for my platnium female as my current male is not fertalizing eggs,,, arrrggg he gets me mad and they spawn every 10 days, very good at tending eggs ,he just dont fertalize them. might throw in a super snowflake with her but shes a tough one....

Thanks. Ill check them out too. Im not looking for high end stuff. My lfs said they could get grade B snowflakes for $60 each. That seems fair. Just figured I might get better quality from a member and not get reamed in shipping. Still trying to decide what type if clown to get. I have a bw occ. pair already and was looking for something different. I'm open to suggestions since you guys are the experts here. Thanks.

it's really up to you and what you like, me personally i love snowflakes over picasso's , but you might think otherwise.. if you can find a super snowflake buy it and you'll see what i mean.. i currently have 2 offspring of my own that i kept for breeders and they are killer, there white is soo clean compared to picassos and or platniums.....

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards. I was wondering if I should be looking at tomato clowns or true perculas also. Since I have no experience with them. Sorry for the hijack.

sounds good,,, how many breeding pairs do you have now?? im at 3 still only collecting cquest batches for now till i can find me another male for my platnium female as my current male is not fertalizing eggs,,, arrrggg he gets me mad and they spawn every 10 days, very good at tending eggs ,he just dont fertalize them. might throw in a super snowflake with her but shes a tough one....

Currently sitting on 3 pair spawning and 6 pair that I'm waiting on. That's a bummer about not fertilizing them - is he just not mature enough or do you think he is shooting blanks?

Thanks. That's what I'm leaning towards. I was wondering if I should be looking at tomato clowns or true perculas also. Since I have no experience with them. Sorry for the hijack.

No such thing as a Hijack here in this thread - anything breeding related is always welcome!

Currently sitting on 3 pair spawning and 6 pair that I'm waiting on. That's a bummer about not fertilizing them - is he just not mature enough or do you think he is shooting blanks?

No such thing as a Hijack here in this thread - anything breeding related is always welcome!

well i know for a fact he's 3+ years old so im sure it's not maturity, i think he's just lazy cause he wont even bother to go over the eggs after female lays them,, he goes over the opposite site of the tile like he's fertalizing the tile only and not the eggs, very fustrating.... gonna give it one more try this coming wednesday and see how he does...

I manged to get some more fish room stuff done today. I got the tanks drilled and the shelves fit with plywood and painted, tomorrow I can start plumbing. I'm using the gorilla racks with the wire shelves. I don't want to sit the tanks on the wire so I cut and fit some pieces of plywood to go on top.

WOW... that's crazy... so he is going through the motions just missing the mark.

yeah he goes through the motion but not exactlly where eggs are,, oh well :/

Got another pair of spawning B&W's today - they settled in quickly after acclimation - ate a solid 4 square meals today. Wonder how long it will take to get them to spawn for me.

My other pair of B&W's are putting out monster nests but the nests are chunky if that makes any sense. There seems to be a lot of nice viable eggs surrounded by orange stuff that doesn't seem to do anything. The parents have yet to let a pair go more then a couple of days before eating the nests - If I'm lucky they'll let just a few eggs make it to day 4 or so. At any rate if this new pair does better the old pair may have to find a new home in a reef tank someplace where the owner will just enjoy them.

Nice! Much more productive weekend than mine. I killed all but one of my perc ocellaris hybrids. I think my RotiGreen was bad. On a more positive note, my new Fancy White has taken to the eggs that were laid last week by my ocellaris female I paired him with. They should hatch today or tomorrow. I'm curious to see if he's old enough to fertilize the next clutch.