Innovative Marine Aquariums

Pickle's N-R Breeders Lounge

Pickle010

I would assume you would get a mix of offspring from normal stripe to some with a lot of white. My Snow pair is reg female ocellaris and black ice male and I get around 50 / 50 snows to regular Ocellaris - it varies by hatch though some are better then others.

Thank you I was hoping to get some Picasso's. The lfs around here suck and never get any designer clowns. I would like to give my hand at breeding them. Sounds like allot of work but fun

It just depends on how far you want to go with it. Managing one pair is pretty easy - but if you are anything like the rest of us you'll wake up one day and realize you have 15 pairs of clowns and it's a lot harder to keep up with.

One pair its good for now. We don't have that much room in our house. Maybe some day I will expand. My female hasn't let my platinum in her Rbta yet. she let's him stay on the edge but that's it. He has another Rbta he could go in but he only wants in her's

I'd go with a 5 gallon bucket - and transfer them into the bucket with the parent tank water - maybe a battery powered air pump with a with a valve in the line to turn down the flow a bit - and if it's really cold out I'd go as far as to get a small heater and run it off a converter in the car. You're right - nothing to loose - keep us posted - I hope it goes well.

What is pretty much exactly what we are going to do. Execpt we are using a 5 gallon tank. We luckily only live about 15 minutes away from the other person, but we are taking no chances. We have the power inverter for the car and plan on running both the air pump and heater for the short ride home.

Finally getting around to finishing up the fish room in the house. Before I had installed my current brood stock system I had put a few coats of Killz on that walls - actually only about a 1/3 of the room (and ceiling). I never got around to the rest of the room just because of all the hatch tanks. Then a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the wall around the window that I hadn't treated yet had some mold starting on it. Went down to Lowes and got mold treatment and a couple more gallons of Killz and treated, then painted the rest of the room. Took 3 coats to get it all done but now at least I know the walls are protected from the humidity. I also pulled my base boards - one was expanding a bit from a water spill. I picked up some white plasti-dip - the stuff is pretty awesome. So the boards willl be water proof and getting a bead of silicone at the base as well. Now I can get my new hatching table in and get more tanks going and not have the Mrs freaking over the water volume in the room! As if the 200g in there already wasn't enough!

Here is a link to the product: http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Diphttp://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

You can get it in spray or as a brush on at Lowes. It puts a synthetic rubber coating on whatever you apply it to and you can use it on several materials like metal, wood, glass, concrete, rope and more. I figure I can't get better protection on the base boards then a rubber coating. I'm spraying it on before installing the base boards to make sure I get a complete seal.

I'm going back and forth right now - At Lowes I spotted the plastic / rubber type base board molding you find in office buildings - I was surprised to see how many color choices there are. I'm thinking I may go that route and use a clear silicone along the bottom.

• 3 weeks later...

hey pickle any updates on your black snowflake/darwin pair?? let us know , im anxious to see what offspring are.My ora midnight and ora black snowflake are on there second clutch and im gonna collect the fry in 7 days , excited , but yeah let us know ttys dude!!

I had a really crappy hatch and just one sole survivor from the mess - they hatched over 3 nights - was really weird but I made some adjustments and hopefully the next one will go better. The survivor is living with a snow hatch just a couple of days older. He's doing really well and has his second stripe. He is much darker then the snows so he is easy to pick out. Too soon to tell just how dark he will get though. I wouldn't normally run with just one clown but I was really curious to see the colors myself.

jedimasterben

I had a really crappy hatch and just one sole survivor from the mess - they hatched over 3 nights - was really weird but I made some adjustments and hopefully the next one will go better. The survivor is living with a snow hatch just a couple of days older. He's doing really well and has his second stripe. He is much darker then the snows so he is easy to pick out. Too soon to tell just how dark he will get though. I wouldn't normally run with just one clown but I was really curious to see the colors myself.

If he survives, I'll take him. Would be a great story :)

• 2 weeks later...

I would guess anything from regular percs to plats and some variation in between. I would bet that if you would not get too many plats though if any.

I don't know about most - but I would assume there are a lot of them out there. My female from my snow pair in my sig is a regular Ocellaris and I would say my hatches are 50 / 50 regular O's to snows. I only get a few super snows per hatch though from that pair.

• 2 weeks later...
FishEyeAquaculture

Don't most people do that? A regular female with a designer male.

Yes, that is the easiest way to get started. The snowflake gene is really dominant.

• 2 months later...
punklibrarian

Been lurking on the clownfish breeding topics for a while now, collecting info for later use. It's a massive learning experience and a real eye opener and jaw dropper :) I haven't really been able to offer anything up myself until now.

I recently found a seller on eBay that has nine new copies of "Conditioning, Spawning and Rearing of Fish with Emphasis on Marine Clownfish" by Frank H. Hoff Jr. I attached a photo of my copy that arrived today. It's a first edition of the third printing, printed in 2009. It's in new condition and is quite frankly lovely to have in my growing collection :D

I have no affiliation with them, just super excited to find a copy that didn't cost me an arm and a leg :lol: Thought I'd pass the info on so that others that might want a copy can since finding a copy at a good price has been very difficult.

post-76640-0-14132600-1369029290_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm still at it.. it's been a roller coaster - got things going really well but then my AC went out in my grow out room in the middle of a heat wave. Water temps got to 110 + and made a lot of fish stew.

Luckily my brood stock and some of my fry where in the house still - but still left me starting over building up my fry numbers again.