ReefCleaners.org

Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

I upgraded 3 years after I won TOTM but I see most change it up within 1 year. I applaud Nano Sapiens, Scorched, Veng, Justin for keeping theirs going since they won. I can understand why newer reefs are chosen, they are active and we all nominate our friends. But some guideline is needed.

Yep its still going strong, almost 2X longer than when I won TOTM and after the 4 year mark this March its going to be looking really amazing. Hopefully even sweeter 2-4 years after that. I don't ever plan to take the tank down. I even have stand/plumbing/lighting upgrades in the works.

Most tanks get recognized after theyve been up for a year. And there isn't too much wrong with that. Many have unique corals and aquascapes that should be recognized. Chris wanted to post mine after the one year milestone and I held out for an additional year before I accepted. Looking back I should have held out longer. Tanks really need multiple years before they really start to fill in an look more natural with corals growing and adapting to the flow/light/size of the tank.

• Like 8

I appreciate the comments here as it is helping me see 'established and mature' in a new way. For instance I nominated Gena's because since many of her coral were transferred from a prior tank I considered them 'established and mature'. Having read many of your posts, I can certainly see that there is a whole other aspect of being 'establish and mature' when you consider how coral interact with one another as they grow. Ha ha, maybe that is why many of us upgrade to bigger tanks so as to avoid dealing with that? It certainly takes husbandry skills to keep a thriving, growing reef for a length of time with that in mind. So from now on I will add that to my own personal qualifications, along with uniqueness, health, aesthetic appeal, and the helpfulness of that tank's owner to others.

• Like 11

I believe it should be a combination of the tanks appearance, age/stability, and the persons contributions to the forum.

Gena's tank was upgraded, yes, but mainly the same corals from before and she is a great contributer to the forum and it is clear that her tank will continue to go on

An example of a great looking tank that would NOT fit TOTM yet would be someone who:

1. Does not contribute/participate in the forum. Posting a random FTS every few weeks should NOT get TOTM eligibility

2. Set up their tank very recently and "STOCKED" it rather than grow out; in these cases there is no clear time requirement but it will be considered on a case to case basis.

• Like 6

I vote the .7 pico, that thing is epic, simple and gorgeous. Its very minimalistic and with the love and care that went into it. Also very inspirational.

• Like 2
Simulated Fish

I believe it should be a combination of the tanks appearance, age/stability, and the persons contributions to the forum.

Gena's tank was upgraded, yes, but mainly the same corals from before and she is a great contributer to the forum and it is clear that her tank will continue to go on

An example of a great looking tank that would NOT fit TOTM yet would be someone who:

1. Does not contribute/participate in the forum. Posting a random FTS every few weeks should NOT get TOTM eligibility

2. Set up their tank very recently and "STOCKED" it rather than grow out; in these cases there is no clear time requirement but it will be considered on a case to case basis.

I agree with Harry on this. I love my little Biocube, but it's definitely not TOTM material. Even if I had spent more money and bought expensive corals not the simple beginner corals. I joined the forums and set up my little Biocube to see if I could give the coral the care they need. Now that I feel confident I've between slowly setting up my new 45g. I plan on starting with tiny frags and watching this tank fill in and become full over the years.

I didn't know much when I joined, and I still have a ton to learn but this community has been amazingly helpful and my go to for any questions. Now I'm finally able to helpout other beginners that are in the same boat I was only a few months ago.

I feel TOTM should reflect not only a well established tank that has grown in but a member who is active in the forums and helps this community to continue growing in a positive way.

• Like 3

Gena's tank was transferred in June of last year. It's beautiful as it is, but IMHO there should be more time before awarding it TOTM. Reefs don't really start to mature until at least a year after being setup or transferred, everything settles in to their new space in the tank and start to really grow in.

Crunching the data from past TOTM, the average age is 20.71 months. 15x have been set up for less than a year, 54x have been one to two years, 17x have been two to three, 4x have been three to four, and 7x have been more than four, with the longest being over six years old. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s_r4LW9-mAKSANukKPAAMa0B3wayk8I-CdHavHCSLqI/pubhtml

I've also gone through and looked at those past TOTM that continued to update their tank threads and several months later they looked better and better. Even Rehype's 22 gallon tank's TOTM at 9 months looked way better at the year mark, showing what even 3 months can do.

All in all, I think that the one 'real' requirement for TOTM should be a minimum of one year from being set up or transferred. My two cents.

I agree with Ben. At least a year :). And you guys are very generous with your nominations. I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that I've had this honor twice already. There must be a cut-off at some point, right? :lol:

But I am very flattered and would graciously accept another honor at any time. I'm not one for "limelight" but I won't let anyone down if that's what they want for my tank :).

Thank you for the nominations and kind words about my tank :flower:.

Oh and my vote once again is for Dawn (vlangel). Gorgeous tank that is superbly maintained :).

• Like 6

I agree with Harry, 1 year, active in the community and active in their thread as far as tank progression and ups and downs. One of the thing that drives me crazy about RC and some threads here is whenever anything bad happens some folks like to vanish. We learn more from failures than success IMO. A tank does not have to be drop dead gorgeous either, but of course it helps. :) I learned a lot from some of the earlier TOTM profiles here, that's what I'm thinking of when I make recommendations.

Ok, all that said, I re-nominate Dawn's seahorse tank.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350298-dawns-36g-seahorse-garden-waging-war-on-bubble-algae/page-60

20160107_180923_zpsf4eudo9q.jpg

• Like 10

I agree with Ben. At least a year :). And you guys are very generous with your nominations. I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that I've had this honor twice already. There must be a cut-off at some point, right? :lol:But I am very flattered and would graciously accept another honor at any time. I'm not one for "limelight" but I won't let anyone down if that's what they want for my tank :).Thank you for the nominations and kind words about my tank :flower:

I have no doubt when your tank has been up for a year or so that it will be even more beautiful than it is now so I am sure a 3rd nomination is forthcoming in the future. You certainly in my opinion qualify in all the other aspects! The beauty alone of your tanks intimidated me when I first joined this forum and yet you were very kind, along with many others to include me in this community, and I have appreciated yours and everyone elses contributions to my reefing knowledge.

• Like 2

I have no doubt when your tank has been up for a year or so that it will be even more beautiful than it is now so I am sure a 3rd nomination is forthcoming in the future. You certainly in my opinion qualify in all the other aspects! The beauty alone of your tanks intimidated me when I first joined this forum and yet you were very kind, along with many others to include me in this community, and I have appreciated yours and everyone elses contributions to my reefing knowledge.

Thank you, Dawn :). I've had a rough year and feel I haven't been as active lately because of that. But I love this community and I love contributing when I can. You guys are like family :grouphug:.
  • Like 5

Ahh, I am very touched by your nominations but my own tank falls into the same category as Gena's. It was totally broke down and redone in Oct 2015 so by my own personal qualifications I would not accept such an honor at this time. Perhaps a year from now if you still feel its worthy....

I disagree, you went from multiple tanks to a single tank, but I suppose it's open to interpretation. I consider broken down to be transferred to an entirely new tank.

• Like 2

I agree with Harry, 1 year, active in the community and active in their thread as far as tank progression and ups and downs. One of the thing that drives me crazy about RC and some threads here is whenever anything bad happens some folks like to vanish. We learn more from failures than success IMO. A tank does not have to be drop dead gorgeous either, but of course it helps. :) I learned a lot from some of the earlier TOTM profiles here, that's what I'm thinking of when I make recommendations.

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350298-dawns-36g-seahorse-garden-waging-war-on-bubble-algae/page-60

Vlangel has had my vote for awhile +1

Ahh guys, I am very touched and humbled, however like Gena's tank mine was broke down and transferred in Oct 2015. By my own personal qualifications I can not accept such an honor at this time. Now, perhaps a year from now if it were still deemed worthy....

I disagree, you went from multiple tanks to a single tank, but I suppose it's open to interpretation. I consider broken down to be transferred to an entirely new tank.

Oops sorry Mark, I went and deleted my post right out from under you. I am really am honored and humbled considering my respect for you as a reef keeper.

• Like 1

I agree with Mark. I spent close to a year lurking on N-R before I ever setup and account or started a thread. I knew I wanted to start a pico tank, and I spent a lot of that time combing through all the TOTM articles because I felt the best way to learn was to study the tanks that really appealed to me.

A TOTM should definitely be one that blows people away, but not everybody likes the same stuff. If some folks like a really clean look with lots of open sand and just a few well grown SPS that are carefully chosen and beautifully placed, then there should be a few TOTM's that represent that look. Same for macro tanks or seahorse tanks or LPS tanks or whatever. The gallery of TOTM's should show a wide variety of styles and approaches to reefing so new people can learn that there's more than one simple formula to creating a beautiful reef.

I do think a year should be the minimum. If we're trying to help people learn from the best tanks on N-R, then we need to make sure all the big challenges have been successfully overcome during that first year.

Oh, and I also agree with Mark that Dawn's seahorse tank is definitely TOTM-worthy :)

• Like 6
jedimasterben

I agree with Ben. At least a year :). And you guys are very generous with your nominations. I'm surprised no one mentioned the fact that I've had this honor twice already. There must be a cut-off at some point, right? :lol:

:lol:

You should get like a punch card or something! :D

• Like 6

I am a big fan of older tanks. I think there needs to be a mandatory "grow in" period. Meaning the majority of the corals should be ones that have started smaller and grown into what they are. I don't think that means a tank has to be 3 years old, but a tank that's 3 years old and has colonies that have grown from 1/2" frags are much more impressive to me than tanks that only have 1/2" of growth on a 6" colony since they've been introduced. So while that doesn't mean I think a tank has to be exactly 1 year old, it does push towards older more matured tanks.

• Like 3

I think at this point, nominating reefs that are mature is a good idea. We need to encourage those members to post updates, and become active again.

I've asked Merthy for a FTS, and Guits rose garden needs an update too.

Sangheilis Triton reef is beautiful too.

• Like 8

I think at this point, nominating reefs that are mature is a good idea. We need to encourage those members to post updates, and become active again.

I've asked Merthy for a FTS, and Guits rose garden needs an update too.

Sangheilis Triton reef is beautiful too.

I think this is one of the root issue. There are not that many matured and active tanks on the forum that have not already won TOTM.

• Like 3

I think we need to create a couple of threads that celebrate when tanks reach their 2 year, 3 year, 4 year, etc marks. It would probably get people motivated to post current pictures of their older tanks. And/or a thread/list of the oldest tanks. Require you to post a current picture every 3 or 6 months or so to stay on the list or get back on the list so we can better track these older more mature reefs.

• Like 11

I think we need to create a couple of threads that celebrate when tanks reach their 2 year, 3 year, 4 year, etc marks. It would probably get people motivated to post current pictures of their older tanks. And/or a thread/list of the oldest tanks. Require you to post a current picture every 3 or 6 months or so to stay on the list or get back on the list so we can better track these older more mature reefs.

This is a great idea! Tank Birthday threads. I think it would be a great way to celebrate milestones. So a forum with different threads for the different "anniversary" marks. I think this would be awesome.

I'm with Mark on this! Vlangel! I also agree that while Dawn combined tanks, everything has been established etc. One thing I love about following Dawn's thread is that she openly shares the ups and downs. I've learned a lot from bacterial infections in seahorses to sumping a tank to your basement. Kudos to Dawn and the wonderful job she does keeping these ponies happy AND breeding.

• Like 6

O my, I am so humbled by all the support and encouragement. Yes, some of my coral colonies are quite old as in from around 2007, the mushrooms, palys, gsp, kenya tree and cabbage leather. Those i admit are very easy coral to keep however. The pagoda cup, blasto, the orange and brown encrusting sps, the colt coral and clove polyps are in the 2-3 year range. Some of the macros algaes are also in that range. This 36 gallon bowfront tank has been up and in its current place in our livingroom since December 2012.

So whatever is decided about what is 'mature and established' I will accept. I can see it from different perspectives.

• Like 3

O my, I am so humbled by all the support and encouragement. Yes, some of my coral colonies are quite old as in from around 2007, the mushrooms, palys, gsp, kenya tree and cabbage leather. Those i admit are very easy coral to keep however. The pagoda cup, blasto, the orange and brown encrusting sps, the colt coral and clove polyps are in the 2-3 year range. Some of the macros algaes are also in that range. This 36 gallon bowfront tank has been up and in its current place in our livingroom since December 2012.

So whatever is decided about what is 'mature and established' I will accept. I can see it from different perspectives.

I feel doubly guilty for only skimming your thread and I hope you get TOTM Dawn.

• Like 3
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations