Pod Your Reef

Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
jedimasterben

Gena's tank was transferred in June of last year. It's beautiful as it is, but IMHO there should be more time before awarding it TOTM. Reefs don't really start to mature until at least a year after being setup or transferred, everything settles in to their new space in the tank and start to really grow in.

Crunching the data from past TOTM, the average age is 20.71 months. 15x have been set up for less than a year, 54x have been one to two years, 17x have been two to three, 4x have been three to four, and 7x have been more than four, with the longest being over six years old. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1s_r4LW9-mAKSANukKPAAMa0B3wayk8I-CdHavHCSLqI/pubhtml

I've also gone through and looked at those past TOTM that continued to update their tank threads and several months later they looked better and better. Even Rehype's 22 gallon tank's TOTM at 9 months looked way better at the year mark, showing what even 3 months can do.

All in all, I think that the one 'real' requirement for TOTM should be a minimum of one year from being set up or transferred. My two cents.

• Like 13

Good data Ben.

I'd also be interested to see how long the average TOTM owner has been active on NR before winning.

I personally thinks its a bit disappointing to see members with little contribution (either in activity or membership duration) to the NR community win. IMO at least. I've always held the honor in higher regard than that and considered the winners to have equal parts beautiful tank and advancement of our NR community.

I've loved most of the nominations and wins in the past but I don't think a re-evaluation of what TOTM means would be a bad thing....

• Like 5

TOTM- Fully matured reef that makes you jizz in your pants.. not many need apply here and speaking of which, I haven't had to change my underwear for this occasion in a while. I don't even wanna see a tank under a year old, maybe something closer to 2 even. Anyone can buy coral and change water. You just get stabilized at 6 months and stop killing things for the most part. I want to see grown in corals battling for space, unique scapes, and clean setups.

• Like 5

I'm all for pushing the envelope and thinking out of the box with awarding TOTMs to bigger reefs or young reefs if merited, but we should have some unwritten guidelines in place for TOTMs. My TOTM was awarded at 11 months and I got a lot of criticism for it.

We all work very hard to sustain our reefs into maturity, I think some points in favor of how long it's been running is due. Tanks look amazing and crisp in their first 6 months, clean, perfect, but take it past the one year mark, that is when you see the true potential and all the newness has worn off.

Another thing I noticed is that very few TOTM winners keep their reefs around after the win. Within a year of TOTM, they are upgraded or broken down or something. Barring unforeseen circumstances like moving or a life changing event, is it boredom? Would that reef have gotten TOTM if we had waited just a few more months?

I'm looking at my content I follow feed and all the reefs on there were started in 2015 are current. The older reefs aren't updated - again leading me to believe that maturity in a reef is something that should count for something!

I upgraded 3 years after I won TOTM but I see most change it up within 1 year. I applaud Nano Sapiens, Scorched, Veng, Justin for keeping theirs going since they won. I can understand why newer reefs are chosen, they are active and we all nominate our friends. But some guideline is needed.

• Like 12
Deleted User 9

Peace To All.

HNY..2016..

I appreciate ALL TOTM's..

And I agreed with MikeTR.

But I do look at tanks under a yr old,

not so much for TOTM nomination, but to

follow their progress and encouragement.

We are Blessed.

Blessings All.

• Like 3

Anyone can buy coral and change water. You just get stabilized at 6 months and stop killing things for the most part. I want to see grown in corals battling for space, unique scapes, and clean setups.

Well said

• Like 3

. Anyone can buy coral and change water. You just get stabilized at 6 months and stop killing things for the most part. I want to see grown in corals battling for space, unique scapes, and clean setups.

Agreed. Hence the reason I would like to see consistent contribution to NR for greater than a couple months.

Its looking like I may be alone on this one but culture and community on a forum like this are what keep it alive. Roger mentioned the other day that the forum is getting inundated with bashing and trolls. Just like a tank, it doesn't take much to crash a forum. To Kats point - "we nominate our friends" - You are most likely friends with those people because they are committed to NR and have put in the time here to keep it thriving.

I'm all for jizzin my pants but would like TOTM to be more than a trophy wife.

I'm trying to be diplomatic and passive but I see this slipping away.

• Like 5

Agreed. Hence the reason I would like to see consistent contribution to NR for greater than a couple months.

Its looking like I may be alone on this one but culture and community on a forum like this are what keep it alive. Roger mentioned the other day that the forum is getting inundated with bashing and trolls. Just like a tank, it doesn't take much to crash a forum. To Kats point - "we nominate our friends" - You are most likely friends with those people because they are committed to NR and have put in the time her to keep it thriving.

I'll all for jizzin my pants but would like TOTM to be more than a trophy wife.

I'm trying to be diplomatic and passive but I see this slipping away.

I agree with you, consideration should be given to members that contribute to the community and are active.

You're making valid points, it's not slipping away. :flower:

To explain what MikeTR meant, mature reefs blow your mind, they are lush and bountiful, corals have grown in and it looks amazing. He jizzes in his pants. That's all. :lol:

At least I think that is what he meant. :unsure:

• Like 4

Nothing like a fully grown in mixed reef competing for space. To many sterile SPS reefs with 2 chunks of rocks and 5-6 SPS frags winning anymore mehhhh. Personally Bunster's tank makes me cream my pants :blink: Want to talk about a tank that gets NO FREAKING recognition? Brandon's pico which I have nominated and linked her at least 3-4 times. It gets about 2 nominations then some tween recommends his buddies tank that has a gayre and 5 SPS frags and everyone jumps on board. Go look at Brandon's pico the tank is the OLDEST tank here.

• Like 6

The unfortunate nature of our hobby is that many at 2-3 year mark either want to upgrade, downgrade, or quit for a while. All too often I have seen the Multiple tank syndrome kick in and the burn out fast.

Too me TOTM is a tank that when I look at it, it encourages me to want to get to that point of something that is visually appealing.

Now I agree a sub- 6 month tank has not stabilized as much as it could, but we should not limit our search for greatness just on that regard. On my local forum I awarded it to someone that was doing something completely different from the rest of us. They were thinking outside the box and I wanted to highlight the idea of pushing the boundaries of conventional thought.

• Like 6
TheKleinReef

Good data Ben.

I'd also be interested to see how long the average TOTM owner has been active on NR before winning.

I personally thinks its a bit disappointing to see members with little contribution (either in activity or membership duration) to the NR community win. IMO at least. I've always held the honor in higher regard than that and considered the winners to have equal parts beautiful tank and advancement of our NR community.

I've loved most of the nominations and wins in the past but I don't think a re-evaluation of what TOTM means would be a bad thing....

This,

When I first started here, it was the TOTM winners that seemed to be the most helpful and active. It wasn't only on their own personal threads either, which I've noticed more and more lately (people just posting on their own thread). It was those people that I wanted to be like, my true inspirations.

After all, this forum isn't just a forum it's a community and the tank that is voted to represent this community for an entire month should be an embodiment of that. It shouldn't start and end at: "an insanely awesome tank." The winner should be representing the entire culture here, which I think is pretty dang awesome.

• Like 9

I agree with you, consideration should be given to members that contribute to the community and are active.

You're making valid points, it's not slipping away. :flower:

To explain what MikeTR meant, mature reefs blow your mind, they are lush and bountiful, corals have grown in and it looks amazing. He jizzes in his pants. That's all. :lol:

At least I think that is what he meant. :unsure:

Totally. I agree with his point. No explanation needed - I respect a good pants jizzin just like anyone :)

Hopefully he is like me and waits till alone time to pull up the TOTM announcement.

• Like 4
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations