Cultivated Reef

Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations

Christopher Marks

Christopher Marks

Lots of great discussion and perspectives, this is great! I love the idea of tank birthday threads, and helping encourage community members with older aquariums to post new updates.

I feel like I should start out by saying that in the history of featured reef profiles, I've never had any hard rules, just general guidelines to steer me in choosing an aquarium. Featuring aquariums that are at least a year old has always been a target, but as history shows, that's not a firm rule. I've generally considered aquariums 40 gallons and under to qualify as nano reefs as well, but again, that's not an exact rule, just a guide. We've seen a number of aquariums that fall outside of the average, but that doesn't make them any less deserving.

I should also point out that I've always intentionally called these 'Monthly Reef Profiles' and 'Featured Reef Profiles' in an attempt to shy away from the term 'tank of the month,' because I feel that term comes with too many preconceptions. It has always been my goal to feature members and their aquariums for a myriad of reasons, not just because they have the rarest coral, or the nicest equipment, the best photos, or the longest running tank. The goal of featured reef profiles is to share one hobbyist's perspective and experience in keeping their aquarium. Sharing their successes and failures, challenges they've faced, and their past experiences in aquarium keeping. In this hobby there are numerous methodologies behind reef keeping, so many different approaches towards the same goal. Featured Reef Profiles are a window into just one successful approach.

It's important to me that all sorts of aquariums be featured in all stages of their evolution, because these different perspectives and approaches are helpful to others who are trying to decide what direction to go with their own aquarium. If we tried to catch every aquarium at its absolute 'peak' we'd probably never feature any aquariums at all. Pretty much every aquarium that has been featured continued on to become more beautiful as it matured - does that make their featured profiles any less valid or educational?

Also, let's not forget the human element here. Not every member is able (or sometimes willing) to be featured when the offer is extended. It's a lot of homework that I assign, sometimes they're just too busy. Over the last 8 years there have been countless aquariums I had hoped to feature in later months, but the member was no longer active when the opportunity arrived, or their tank was taken down, or upgraded, or crashed, etc. etc. Believe me, I've had a lot of heartbreak over aquariums missed, but that's the nature of this hobby, aquariums are constantly changing. Being an active member of the community has always been a requirement of mine, even being inactive for just a few months might cause a member to be passed over for that month. There are just so many variables that go into putting this together each and every month, year after year.

TOTM means different things to different people. My goal with these featured reef profiles is to share great perspectives on reef keeping, to be educational, and to show off successful and unique aquarium systems from within the community. It's an opportunity to draw attention to some of the great ones, because unfortunately I cannot feature all the great ones. What I do not want to see is for this to become just another popularity contest, because this should have far more depth than that.

:grouphug:

• Like 33

I feel doubly guilty for only skimming your thread and I hope you get TOTM Dawn.

Ahh, thanks Kat. And no need to feel guilty, there are so many threads on here it is impossible to read every one thoroughly. I confessed to another N-R member this morning that I had never read his threads til now. We can't read everything.

Great insite CM. I am glad contribution to the community is high on your requirement. It can be hard to find people willing to stay active for such a long time.

• Like 2

Lots of great discussion and perspectives, this is great! I love the idea of tank birthday threads, and helping encourage community members with older aquariums to post new updates.

TOTM means different things to different people. My goal with these featured reef profiles is to share great perspectives on reef keeping, to be educational, and to show off successful and unique aquarium systems from within the community. It's an opportunity to draw attention to some of the great ones, because unfortunately I cannot feature all the great ones. What I do not want to see is for this to become just another popularity contest, because this should have far more depth than that.

I shortened the quote for length ;)

CM, thank you so much for taking the time to explain your outlook on the MRP (not going to use TOTM anymore, as your explanation makes it so much more).

It adds a greater degree of appreciation for what the MRP nomination and award mean.

Thanks for all you do managing this outstanding community!

• Like 5
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

'Tank Birthdays'...that's an interesting idea :)

I have often considered why there are so few older NTOTM owners posting regularly, if at all. My best guess is that many consider the Pico or Nano aquarium as a stepping stone to 'bigger and brighter things' and therefore move on. I do see this often on the larger reef forums as well as my local reefing club. Relatively few people consider these small tanks as a means unto themselves. Looks like we haven't quite reached the 'Nano as an art form' that the horticultural world embraces in the Bonsai.

IMO, these monthly tank selections are also important in showcasing to interested outside parties that, when done right, small tanks can provide a suitable habitat for appropraitely sized reef organisms to reach, or exceed, their natural lifespans. Like it or not, this hobby iis under increasing surveillance due to natural reef degradation.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

+1 for dpoltstdsu!! There is just something about a tank full of Zoas. I can't really explain it other than to say it has an old time antique look to it. Just beautiful.

• Like 1
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to Monthly Reef Profile (TOTM) Nominations