SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Yes, I used to have an emerald crab in my reef tank and it also was a good crab. Unfortunately crabs, (except very small blue legged or red legged) in general are not a good idea with seahorses and emerald crabs especially are not recommended.

Really? Didn't know that- will they attack the seahorses?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really? Didn't know that- will they attack the seahorses?

No, I don't think its malicious attacks so much as inadvertant pinches. Unfortunately seahorses do not heal very well from any skin abrasions because they are so vulnerable to bacterial infections.

Yes, I used to have an emerald crab in my reef tank and it also was a good crab. Unfortunately crabs, (except very small blue legged or red legged) in general are not a good idea with seahorses and emerald crabs especially are not recommended.

So question. I have a dragon face pipe fish and an emerald crab in my tank. They have been together for about 4 months now and I don't think I've had any problems. It's hard to say since I rarely even see the emerald crab. Should I work on removing the crab or is it ok with the pipefish?

So question. I have a dragon face pipe fish and an emerald crab in my tank. They have been together for about 4 months now and I don't think I've had any problems. It's hard to say since I rarely even see the emerald crab. Should I work on removing the crab or is it ok with the pipefish?

I think pipefish are slightly immune deficient but I don't think it is to the extent that that seahorses are. Also pipefish do not sit stationary hitched in 1 spot so I don't think they would be as apt to get pinched so I think it will probably be fine.

20160107_173509_zps0skcearr.jpg

Ok, so today was the rampage to scrape, scour, suck, brush or by whatever means possible eradicate bubble algae from my tank. It was bloody! And in the end evidenced by this photo, there is still bubble algae in my display, Ughhh!

20160107_180923_zpsf4eudo9q.jpg

I moved quite a bit of stuff in my quest to snuff out bubble algae, can you see a difference? Somehow, my photos all look the same, hmmm. I think I did improve the use of space and made the negative space more attractive.

I moved quite a bit of stuff in my quest to snuff out bubble algae, can you see a difference? Somehow, my photos all look the same, hmmm. I think I did improve the use of space and made the negative space more attractive.

I don't know what you moved, Dawn. But it is absolute perfection. Just beautiful! :wub:

I don't know what you moved, Dawn. But it is absolute perfection. Just beautiful! :wub:

It is mostly on the left side. The rock on top of the base rock is now turned around a quarter turn to the left. It would not balance the way it used to be for some reason. Also I moved the mushroom rock with the really shiny macro algae that I love (but don't know what it is) to a more prominent spot next to the large colony of yellow polyps. I moved the tall gorg more in the back. I guess really they are all small changes that change the overall appearance of the tank.

Thanks Gena.

I could tell you moved the tall gorg - it really opened up the space in the middle. It looks great!

That is what I was going for. I wanted to make the tank look less hap hazzard. Also the left side and rockwork became lopsided, partly because the macro algae was growing so much. Pruning that helped.

I think it looks beautiful!

I would like to compare an after and now a before.

Love the new scape. Like you said, the tweaks you made were subtle, but it really changed things. I feel my eyes are drawn down the valley now rather than bouncing around the scape.

I think it looks great - I agree with Mirya. Gives really good depth to the tank like a little valley ?. Love the seahorse cruising along and the pipefish on the right dancing around

True you don't have RFA's, but,you have this entire awesome tank lol. Seahorses!!

Thanks pgrVII, yes that is how we get into the MTS. We just want to have one of everything cool...and its all cool, ha ha! I am really enjoying my current tank though.

Love the new scape. Like you said, the tweaks you made were subtle, but it really changed things. I feel my eyes are drawn down the valley now rather than bouncing around the scape.

I think it looks great - I agree with Mirya. Gives really good depth to the tank like a little valley . Love the seahorse cruising along and the pipefish on the right dancing around

I was a bit frustrated with my eyes not knowing what to look at with the prior scape. The look of a valley really does guide the eye and creates a feeling of depth. You both hit the nail on the head!

Thanks pgrVII, yes that is how we get into the MTS. We just want to have one of everything cool...and its all cool, ha ha! I am really enjoying my current tank though.

Agreed,whole heartedly :)

Tank looks beautiful btw

Agreed,whole heartedly :)

Tank looks beautiful btw

You are very kind. I just checked out your new build and I am excited to follow it!

You are very kind. I just checked out your new build and I am excited to follow it!

I am or try to be,but,that compliment was very very well earned here regardless :)

I noticed that with tweaking things my orange monti was stuck in the back in the dark. It has faded anyway and I wondered if it was because it was glue vertically to the rock. Now I have it horizontal so the whole surface sees the sun, (in a manner of speaking).

Also it might be my imagination but I am thinking just maybe that the slimer is improving. So I am not going to rush it off to the sump just yet.

Also I added another small rio. Actually this morning I noticed 1 of the rios was not working, which bummed me out. I was tinkering with it (blowing out where the impellor is) but to no avail so I got another that I had in the fish/sump room. Then when I was ready to install the replacement I realized that the first one was not plugged in, Doh! I had been thinking of adding a 4th anyway and since it was ready to go I did. I am noticing some of the coral are really liking the additional flow!

Also I added another small rio. Actually this morning I noticed 1 of the rios was not working, which bummed me out. I was tinkering with it (blowing out where the impellor is) but to no avail so I got another that I had in the fish/sump room. Then when I was ready to install the replacement I realized that the first one was not plugged in, Doh! I had been thinking of adding a 4th anyway and since it was ready to go I did. I am noticing some of the coral are really liking the additional flow!

They like the way you flow Dawn :)

Archived