Top Shelf Aquatics

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Nice to see it's done. I would expect clarity might be bacterial blooms as the new glass and surfaces need to, uh, gunk up for lack of a better term?

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to see it's done. I would expect clarity might be bacterial blooms as the new glass and surfaces need to, uh, gunk up for lack of a better term?

I wondered about that as well. I did put live, cured rock in the fuge portions but it was rock that I kept in a 5 gallon bucket with some caulerpa, a cheap light, and a small filter when I tore down the 2 tank system so maybe it had detritus and such on it. I guess I can't go wrong using the Stability or probiotic?

I wondered about that as well. I did put live, cured rock in the fuge portions but it was rock that I kept in a 5 gallon bucket with some caulerpa, a cheap light, and a small filter when I tore down the 2 tank system so maybe it had detritus and such on it. I guess I can't go wrong using the Stability or probiotic?

Probably not. I have used Stability, Prodibio BioDigest, and Microbacter7. All seem to work well, or about the same, or not at all. :D

You know you might have a problem when you can't wait to do a water change on your tank because your new sump upgrade has made it so easy! LOL

You know you might have a problem when you can't wait to do a water change on your tank because your new sump upgrade has made it so easy! LOL

Mission accomplished!

20151221_070547_zpsswvv8y7l.jpg

This was taken from the hallway of our basement. You can see the sump/fish room on the right and our game room straight ahead.

VERY cool :). Do you notice a big difference with noise level upstairs by the tank?

VERY cool :). Do you notice a big difference with noise level upstairs by the tank?

Yes, it's great not having the chiller running upstairs. I can not hear it at all but it does not run much downstairs, so that is a win win. Also there is no pump noise and although it was not loud, it could be heard. I do have more drain noise from my overflow because of the additional flow. It's not the horrible sucking noise of a syphon but it's a definite constant trickle noise. I will have to investigate what can be done for that. The tank area is quiet enough for me to hear the fan to the light fixture kick on now.

Looking good- look at all that room you have to work on your sump tinker tinker tinker- I'd be down there all night

I know, it's awesome. Cleaning the skimmer cup is a cinch and so are water changes. I could probably accomplish both of those task combined in 10 minutes if I have my water made and mixed ahead of time.

And there is my new fuge to work in...that will be a good place to tinker!

Today I did a water change and just like that the cloudiness was gone. Now the tank is just as crisp as clean as usual, which is good because I was going crazy over the murky water (even though the livestock looked fine).

So I have been researching diy hofer gurgle buster to reduce the noise of my drain in the overflow box. They look easy enough to make. Do any of you implement this devise to quiet your drains?

New set up looks great!!! :)

Thanks! I am really pleased with everything except with the increased flow my drain gurgles pretty loudly. I am looking into that. Also I am now experiencing spurious current (or voltage, I am not sure which). Anyway the equipment seems fine because the GFCI don't trip but I am feeling little tingles or shocks on occasions when my hands are in the tank. Maybe because in the basement I am on concrete instead of the wood floor upstairs. Anyway it's unnerving. I could install a ground probe but that is not ideal because if I understand what I have read it would nullify my GFCI and I don't want that. I am still trying to learn more about it so I can eliminate potential causes.

Thanks! I am really pleased with everything except with the increased flow my drain gurgles pretty loudly. I am looking into that. Also I am now experiencing spurious current (or voltage, I am not sure which). Anyway the equipment seems fine because the GFCI don't trip but I am feeling little tingles or shocks on occasions when my hands are in the tank. Maybe because in the basement I am on concrete instead of the wood floor upstairs. Anyway it's unnerving. I could install a ground probe but that is not ideal because if I understand what I have read it would nullify my GFCI and I don't want that. I am still trying to learn more about it so I can eliminate potential causes.

I don't know the first thing about electricity/voltage but could some piece of equipment be going out? Maybe by process of elimination you can figure out what is causing the current. That would definitely be unnerving!

That's kinda scary… yeah, like gena, I don't know much about electricity. I am sure you'll need some sort of tester to determine if there really is current in the water. Only us fish nerds would stick our hands into water with 27 pieces of equipment plugged in…

That used to happen to me, same situation since mine was in the basement. I found it was my lights leaking and then a heater as well. Process of elimation and stupidity for continuing to touch the water as i switched off each piece of equipment to find which it was.

I don't know the first thing about electricity/voltage but could some piece of equipment be going out? Maybe by process of elimination you can figure out what is causing the current. That would definitely be unnerving!

That's kinda scary… yeah, like gena, I don't know much about electricity. I am sure you'll need some sort of tester to determine if there really is current in the water. Only us fish nerds would stick our hands into water with 27 pieces of equipment plugged in…

That used to happen to me, same situation since mine was in the basement. I found it was my lights leaking and then a heater as well. Process of elimation and stupidity for continuing to touch the water as i switched off each piece of equipment to find which it was.

From what I read on RC on a thread that got into it pretty extensively, instead of doing it the way Arce did it, (and that is what I was going to do), one can use a volt meter and stick 1 prong in the ground of the outlet and the other in the water when 1 piece of equipment is plugged in and measure any current in the water. That way you can see what any equipment is leaking into the water. That sounds less unnerving and I think my hubby has one of those that I got him for Christmas many moons ago!

Merry Christmas to all my NR friends!

I ordered some ghost shrimp for the seahorses. In with the shrimp came a few surprizes...some gobies and some pipefish! The gobies are like the bridled goby I used to have that came with a prior shipment of shrimp. The pipefish are a brackish variety that live in estuaries where rivers meet and flow into the ocean. I have both in with 1 tank of feeder shrimp. I am trying to feed them live baby brine shrimp. I could not tell if the pipefish ate any but the ghost shrimp loved them. Now they all have orange bellies, ha ha! I will let you know if any of the pipes survive.

Now that's what I call a Christmas present!

It's very cool but I will feel bad if they all die since I do not know a lot about them. I will do my best for them.

Merry Christmas Dawn!

Do you have an outlet tester to verify grounding is correct?

GFCI_outlet_receptacle_tester.gif

Sometimes basement outlets can be sketchy.

Merry Christmas to you as well Mark!

I couldn't believe it when I read your post because one of the guests that we invited had that same gadget that you showed pictured, (the outlet tester) in his car. Dave got his voltage meter and they set out for our basement to fix my problem. First we tested all the outlets, (both the upstairs display tank and then the basement sump). We decided since both tanks are hooked together any problems with either could impact both. They were good. Then Dave used his volt meter by putting 1 prong in the ground of the outlet and 1 prong in the tank water. It read 110 volts!!! It was the same in both tanks. So we began unplugging equipment 1 by 1 to find the bad actor and it turned out to be my chiller, much to my dismay. That is fairly new, (bought in June) and the most expensive piece of equipment I have. Steve our friend asked to see the owners manual and while he was reading the manual he read that the chiller should be grounded. He was testing the timer strip cord I was using and the extension cord and he discovered that the ground prong was broke off on the extension cord. Can you believe it? We switch out the extension cord for another and the volt meter read 0.

All I know is that I am so glad that I never was grounded good or I might have felt more than a little zap! Anyhow I don't think I should have any more trouble.

Archived