Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks a lot better than my 90. hopefully now thats its winter, i can show it some love

I am sure yours can be just as nice or even better.

Very pretty! On the left side...what is the green leather attached to? Looks like a giant acro rock or something???? Oh wait..not a green leather. Maybe a giant maxi mini?

Yes Gena, I bought that coral skeleton, (some sort of plating acro type) just because I thought it was interesting. Its a rock flower anemone. I could not believe it when it chose there to reside.

My favorite coral was the big sinularia leather. It did great in that tank. I kept a smaller frag for the 36g bowfront but it never did well. A small withered piece still remains but no matter where I move it, it wont thrive. Maybe it liked the VHOs a lot better than T5HO?

Yes Gena, I bought that coral skeleton, (some sort of plating acro type) just because I thought it was interesting. Its a rock flower anemone. I could not believe it when it chose there to reside.

My favorite coral was the big sinularia leather. It did great in that tank. I kept a smaller frag for the 36g bowfront but it never did well. A small withered piece still remains but no matter where I move it, it wont thrive. Maybe it liked the VHOs a lot better than T5HO?

That's what I thought! It looks so cool :).

Seeing that pic hurts a little. I sold that tank because I could not take care of Dave 's mom and my fish tank both. When I realized that I let a couple of WCs slip then I knew it was time to give my animals homes that would give them the care they deserved. I had a beautiful thriving Navarchus angel that I had had probably 6 years or so, Big Al. It killed me to sell him but I knew he couldn't be in a 36 gallon tank. It was probably time for him to go to a bigger tank than my 90g anyway.

Wow! That is beautiful! Is that a HUGE nem on the top right island?

Baby, my clown fish's parents, (Ato and Tommy) lived in that nem for years. I think it was a sabae anemone and I named it Absalom. If you swipe the FTS you can see other shots of the tank.

Sigh...I'm getting tempted again to convert my 90g FW tank to saltwater. But there are so many obstacles, starting with finding a home for all the existing fish :mellow:

But it would be so cool :)

Sigh...I'm getting tempted again to convert my 90g FW tank to saltwater. But there are so many obstacles, starting with finding a home for all the existing fish :mellow:

Now that WCs are so easy I even get tempted to have a bigger seahorse tank. But I am not getting any younger so I am going to let that temptation just keep right on going!

Yeah, with the FW tank I can get away with extending the biweekly water changes to every four to six weeks, and the only price I pay is extra algae. Not sure I want all the work of maintaining it as a saltwater tank. I'd have to automate water changes somehow!

DO IT!!! I can't even imagine what a 90 Gallon not so teeny reef would look like!

Polarcollision

Your tank is beautiful. Loooove how natural everything looks--like I'm scuba diving. And the textures are amazing too.

I'm seeing a lot of softies living harmlessly with your horses that I'd like to try too. Nems are out, but how cool would it be to have a pederson's shrimp hosting mushrooms? Is that a leather next to your red shrooms?

Your tank is beautiful. Loooove how natural everything looks--like I'm scuba diving. And the textures are amazing too.

I'm seeing a lot of softies living harmlessly with your horses that I'd like to try too. Nems are out, but how cool would it be to have a pederson's shrimp hosting mushrooms? Is that a leather next to your red shrooms?

Polar, I don't have red mushrooms in my current tank or nems. Were you looking at the pic of my old 90g or the video? The video is the tank I have now.

20160113_160753_zpsqkallmx6.jpg

Here is a pic of my plain ordinary cabbage that happened to be the very first coral I ever had. This is just a portion, the rest is in the sump. I finally decided to put it near the food bowl since it does not require much light.

Also on the right, kind of under the mint colored monti I just added another macro algae that came with my feeder shrimp.

Polarcollision

Polar, I don't have red mushrooms in my current tank or nems. Were you looking at the pic of my old 90g or the video? The video is the tank I have now.

What's the red in front of the feathery gorg? I assumed mushrooms, but maybe it's actually a macro algae?

What's the red in front of the feathery gorg? I assumed mushrooms, but maybe it's actually a macro algae?

Yes, it is a macro algae. I have been calling it rose petal because I saw one like it on a vendors advertisement. Its a neat macro that is a fast grower. However I just rip it off and let it grow back. I do see babies in the tank though so hopefully it is not seeding my tank with millions of rose petals, ha ha!

And the answer to your original question is yes that is a kenya tree by the rose petal macro.

I like this tank too for all the textures. I keep trying to diversify my colors too. The tank could probably use a little more blues and yellows.

O I am just realizing that there is a toadstool leather near that macro too. The toadstool is to the left, the kenya tree is behind and to the right (there is 2 of them).

Well, my hubby and I are going away in a couple of weeks but I just found out my sister, (who btw is my fish sitter) is also going away. Bummer! I have a friend who is willing to learn to feed seahorses. I am grateful but I am also nervous. O well, I always said that I can't be enslaved to this tank. I will do my best to prepare my friend and then go across the country to enjoy time with the kids and grandson.

Thats a good point pgr... (is it ok if I shorten your user name?). After, we are the ones who have to look at our tanks so they really only need to please us, right?

Absolutely, I go by pg,pgr,Patrick,Pat,take your pick lol

Archived