SaltCritters.com

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love your tank(s)! Seahorses are some of the most beautiful creatures, and keeping them is such an accomplishment!

Thanks Angeles for the kind words. They are beautiful and have sweet natured temperments too. They never chase each other (or anything for that matter) until its stressed to death and dies. They seem to care about each other and I have read that they even grieve when a tank mate dies. That makes their tanks peaceful.

So far so good as far as keeping them.

Love the room- really like that Indian poster ?. They look a lot like my '59 and '60 cushman's. I am at the point of considering selling both of them and buying a new cushman. A new company has bought the license and are starting to make a cushman II. Electric start, better breaks, smoother ride, better more reliable engine with the same look as the vintage ones so I am really considering making the change. I love my old vintage bikes but they tend to need work constantly. Our last ride the throttle broke on my '59 - luckily we were close to being home and I was able to coast and then walk it home?. Lisa took apart the throttle and ordered new parts and fixed it( she's amazing that way) but I am losing confidence in them. We are wanting to do some longer rides this summer and I just don't know if I can rely on them

Love the room- really like that Indian poster . They look a lot like my '59 and '60 cushman's. I am at the point of considering selling both of them and buying a new cushman. A new company has bought the license and are starting to make a cushman II. Electric start, better breaks, smoother ride, better more reliable engine with the same look as the vintage ones so I am really considering making the change. I love my old vintage bikes but they tend to need work constantly. Our last ride the throttle broke on my '59 - luckily we were close to being home and I was able to coast and then walk it home. Lisa took apart the throttle and ordered new parts and fixed it( she's amazing that way) but I am losing confidence in them. We are wanting to do some longer rides this summer and I just don't know if I can rely on them

Yes, we are really liking our new room. We both spend a fair amount of time there now.

I had to look up Cushman since I was not familiar with them. So you have 2 classics? Its tough parting with classic vehicles but its tough not having confidence in them too. I hated it when my Volusia acted up in Durango and then again in Nashville. Both incidents were on busy roads and it was very stressful. Thats why I got the Boulevard. Then Dave saw the Strattoliner so I think come spring we both are going to sell our

old bikes. Dave's old bike is not as vintage as your Cushmans but its a '76 Honda CB 750. It has 76k and has never broke down. I hate to sell it (you know they were the bike in their day) but they are deteriorating if you aren't riding them. Not too mention that our little single car garage with 4 motorcycles is jammed packed. Anyway, all that to say I understand why you are thinking of getting the Cushman II.

And wow, I am very impressed that Lisa could take apart the throttle and order new parts! She is amazing. I tried to change my own oil in my first Suzuki, 15 years ago and turned it the wrong way and stripped the pan! How embarassing is that? Poor Dave had to re-tap it. So now I limit my mechanical endeavors to charging the battery, checking the oil, tire pressure, antifreeze and such.

Ya, I remember the troubles you had on your trip ?. Yes Lisa can tear apart almost anything and fix it- she built all of my dental labs in varouis houses throughout the yrs. drywall, tile, electrical(some) and ran my gas lines- she's like a mini contractor - I am her gopher- go for this tool go for that tool ?.

Here's a few shots of my Cushman's purple ones a '59 eagle and red is a '60 super eagle. The purple has been redone ( not by us.) with an 18horse dualcarb motor crammed in there - it's a rocket - sounds just like a Harley and tops out at about 75mph. On these little 8" wheels it's a screamer. The red one is all stock complete with suicide shifter. More of an around town cruiser- kick start with a 9horse does about 45mph. I am 5'7" so they are small frame and fit me really well. I've always wanted one growing up but parents would not go for it ?.

Beautiful bikes but the reliability is questionable. I need a strong daily rider- I love driving to work in the morning on one- starts the day right ?

47eb8891c3085e230696e91f6bc3b277_zpsq364

791939752a3a8f6e98a2e62e173795ca_zpscpgq

Here's a Cushman II eagle

c40df354b9bbfb796058c2d16c6fff4d_zpsnxi7

Ya, I remember the troubles you had on your trip . Yes Lisa can tear apart almost anything and fix it- she built all of my dental labs in varouis houses throughout the yrs. drywall, tile, electrical(some) and ran my gas lines- she's like a mini contractor - I am her gopher- go for this tool go for that tool .

Here's a few shots of my Cushman's purple ones a '59 eagle and red is a '60 super eagle. The purple has been redone ( not by us.) with an 18horse dualcarb motor crammed in there - it's a rocket - sounds just like a Harley and tops out at about 75mph. On these little 8" wheels it's a screamer. The red one is all stock complete with suicide shifter. More of an around town cruiser- kick start with a 9horse does about 45mph. I am 5'7" so they are small frame and fit me really well. I've always wanted one growing up but parents would not go for it .

Beautiful bikes but the reliability is questionable. I need a strong daily rider- I love driving to work in the morning on one- starts the day right 47eb8891c3085e230696e91f6bc3b277_zpsq364791939752a3a8f6e98a2e62e173795ca_zpscpgq

Here's a Cushman II eaglec40df354b9bbfb796058c2d16c6fff4d_zpsnxi7

Its gotta be nice having a wife that is so handy. Dave and I between us can do a lot of hands on stuff ourselves but neither of us are great with vehicles beyond the general maintenance. We have redone a lot of our 1959 ranch house ourselves and I am pretty good with outside landscaping, gardening and such...pretty much the same skill set as reefing.

The Cushmans are very cool! Yours are bigger than the images I pulled up on google. I love the purple even if it was redone. I can't believe that long ago they had hard saddlebags! Although regarding the red one I have to say a suicide shifter intrigues me, ha ha. I have always loved living on the edge. Maybe it just sounds meaner than it is in reality. Thanks for posting pics of them, I enjoyed that.

PS I am also 5' 7" so if you ever consider just a motorcycle a Boulevard will fit you perfect.

So I checked my parameters for the 3rd day in a row, (which is crazy since I probably only usually check once a month!). I have also dosed a small amount of 2 part each day and twice that of Mg. The CA and Alk held steady but the Mg still went down.

I guess it is time to change salt mix from IO regular to Reef Crystals. Its gotta be the macro algaes sucking up my Mg, probably the feather caulerpa in the sump. I had not been keeping any feather caulerpa in the system but when I finished the basement sump I added it since i had the room. It is a good grower thus will be a good nutrient export when I prune it. It is taking off and that is a good thing as far as reducing nutrients but I read that it will deplete a system of Mg.

All this motorcycle talk makes me feel pretty unimpressive on my little scooter. This is my ride:

1277683.jpg

:lol: I love my scooter. It gets me to work everyday! I've been driving it for the last 8.5 years. Someday maybe I'll get a motorcycle and join the adults :lol:

I use Reef Crystals and they work really well for me, so that's probably a good switch. I had really good magnesium levels with RC for a long time and then it was just recently that my tank got to the point where it was somewhat depleting the Mg between water changes. I now dose some B-Ionic Mg and it doesn't take much at all. Just a couple mL's a day for my system.

All this motorcycle talk makes me feel pretty unimpressive on my little scooter. This is my ride:

1277683.jpg

:lol: I love my scooter. It gets me to work everyday! I've been driving it for the last 8.5 years. Someday maybe I'll get a motorcycle and join the adults :lol:

I use Reef Crystals and they work really well for me, so that's probably a good switch. I had really good magnesium levels with RC for a long time and then it was just recently that my tank got to the point where it was somewhat depleting the Mg between water changes. I now dose some B-Ionic Mg and it doesn't take much at all. Just a couple mL's a day for my system.

That is a very cute little scooter and you should be proud! I am pleased as punch to have it represented in my thread. Considering that all of us who ride on 2-3 wheels are amongst vehicals much bigger, it is important to be on what is comfortable to you!

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with Reef Crystals. I have been very happy and never had a quality assurance issue with IO so that is why I am leaning toward Reef Crystals. The company has been doing this a long time and supplying public aquariums, so have proven themselves reliable. Not to mention economical too!

That is a very cute little scooter and you should be proud! I am pleased as punch to have it represented in my thread. Considering that all of us who ride on 2-3 wheels are amongst vehicals much bigger, it is important to be on what is comfortable to you!

Glad you didn't laugh at my tiny girly scooter. It goes 40 mph on a good day :lol: Honestly, the scooter just worked out to be super convenient and affordable. I bought it when I was 19 because I went to the University of Florida which has a HUGE campus, so walking everywhere is difficult. However, there's such limited car parking on campus and the parking pass is so expensive. So funny enough, tons of people there drive scooters. They're inexpensive and there is a ton of motorcycle and scooter parking on and around campus for only $30 per year for the permit. I had just moved out of the dorms and wanted to be able to drive from my apartment to campus, so I bought that little scooter for $2,500. Then when I decided to move to Berkeley, I threw it in the back of the moving truck and brought it cross country with me. Its perfect here because the entire city of Berkeley has a speed limit of 25 mph. Also, UC Berkeley also has horrible parking like most college campuses, but it has completely free cycle lots all over. Its been how I get to my lab every single day and its perfect for running errands around town, where parking is awful. I've even driven boxes of coral home from the Fedex store on it on numerous occasions. Its got just over 5,000 miles on it now :lol::wub:

Thanks for letting me know about your experience with Reef Crystals. I have been very happy and never had a quality assurance issue with IO so that is why I am leaning toward Reef Crystals. The company has been doing this a long time and supplying public aquariums, so have proven themselves reliable. Not to mention economical too!

Yeah, I've actually only ever used Reef Crystals. I started with that in my first tank 4 years ago and I haven't ever felt the need to switch because I've never had an issue. Like you said, its reliable and you just can't beat the cost. I order the 200 gallon box from Doctors Foster and Smith because its about the cheapest I can find and qualifies for their free shipping. That way the UPS guy has to carry that 60 lb box up the stairs to my front door instead of me doing it. I just have to slide it inside and into the closet :)

1277683.jpg

Hahahaha! I am right there with ya, my Cushman's were actually considered scooter back in 50-60's. My wife rides a genuine scooter company Stella 150. We've been scooter people for many many years- once your out on the rode and the winds in your hair it really doesn't matter ?. That's awesome you ride it everyday ?

So I checked my parameters for the 3rd day in a row, (which is crazy since I probably only usually check once a month!). I have also dosed a small amount of 2 part each day and twice that of Mg. The CA and Alk held steady but the Mg still went down.

I guess it is time to change salt mix from IO regular to Reef Crystals. Its gotta be the macro algaes sucking up my Mg, probably the feather caulerpa in the sump. I had not been keeping any feather caulerpa in the system but when I finished the basement sump I added it since i had the room. It is a good grower thus will be a good nutrient export when I prune it. It is taking off and that is a good thing as far as reducing nutrients but I read that it will deplete a system of Mg.

Good call on the new salt - you should be able to maintain parameters just with w/c's. What are you using to dose MG.?

Hahahaha! I am right there with ya, my Cushman's were actually considered scooter back in 50-60's. My wife rides a genuine scooter company Stella 150. We've been scooter people for many many years- once your out on the rode and the winds in your hair it really doesn't matter . That's awesome you ride it everyday

Nice! Glad you all appreciate scooters too. They're fun and easy and tad bit less scary! I'd love to learn to drive a full blown motorcycle some day. I'm sure its a bit more fun to have the wind in your hair at 65 mph, but I have to say that driving like 35 on the tiny scooter is actually really fun and refreshing. Its lovely on a beautiful 70 degree, blue sky Berkeley day to be able to drive it to and from work and get some fresh air. I ride it sun and rain, so I'm pretty comical looking with all the rain right now because I drive it to work wearing rain boots, rain pants, a rain jacket, gloves, and a full helmet. Its a pretty hilarious get-up for the tiny girly scooter :lol:

Nice! Glad you all appreciate scooters too. They're fun and easy and tad bit less scary! I'd love to learn to drive a full blown motorcycle some day. I'm sure its a bit more fun to have the wind in your hair at 65 mph, but I have to say that driving like 35 on the tiny scooter is actually really fun and refreshing. Its lovely on a beautiful 70 degree, blue sky Berkeley day to be able to drive it to and from work and get some fresh air. I ride it sun and rain, so I'm pretty comical looking with all the rain right now because I drive it to work wearing rain boots, rain pants, a rain jacket, gloves, and a full helmet. Its a pretty hilarious get-up for the tiny girly scooter :lol:

When I was in vet school I had a Yamaha Razz scooter as my only mode of transport. I rode it even in the winter -- this was in Madison, Wisconsin! It was really fun and I loved it. 50 miles per gallon was pretty nice too. (Course the tank only held 1 gallon!) I was pretty sad when it was stolen when I moved to Florida after graduation.

When I was in vet school I had a Yamaha Razz scooter as my only mode of transport. I rode it even in the winter -- this was in Madison, Wisconsin! It was really fun and I loved it. 50 miles per gallon was pretty nice too. (Course the tank only held 1 gallon!) I was pretty sad when it was stolen when I moved to Florida after graduation.

You rode it in the snow?! I thought I was hardcore for riding in the rain :lol: Yeah mine also only has a 1 gallon gas tank, but mine gets almost 100 mpg. Its pretty awesome to only fill it up ever month and a half or so. I'm sorry yours got stolen :(

1277683.jpg

Hahahaha! I am right there with ya, my Cushman's were actually considered scooter back in 50-60's. My wife rides a genuine scooter company Stella 150. We've been scooter people for many many years- once your out on the rode and the winds in your hair it really doesn't matter . That's awesome you ride it everyday

Good call on the new salt - you should be able to maintain parameters just with w/c's. What are you using to dose MG.?

I am dosing with ions for Mg. When my lfs went out of buisness last fall I bought it in a gallon jug!

Since Dave upgraded his bike from a 750cc to a 1900cc, he's not happy with the wind in his hair until he's doing 80mph. I keep telling him that my bike is only half of his and he's going to be leaving me in the dust!

That is very cool that you rode also. And a die hard at that, i have ridden in a lot of weather and some real deluges but never in the snow. Maybe you could buy another some day?

You rode it in the snow?! I thought I was hardcore for riding in the rain :lol: Yeah mine also only has a 1 gallon gas tank, but mine gets almost 100 mpg. Its pretty awesome to only fill it up ever month and a half or so. I'm sorry yours got stolen :(

100mpg is really sweet! My bike gets about 170 miles to a tank of gas but its a 3 gallon tank. When we ride to Alaska some day we are going to need that good gas mileage.

So since I am contemplating moving one of my 5.5g feeder tanks into the biker den I decided to look into new lighting. Right now 1of the feeder tanks sits in front of a window without a light and the other one just has a 30 year old strip light on it. The Coralife mini aqualite T5 fixture is on sale for $49. Its a HO with 2 bulbs so I am thinking it will grow any softie or macro I would want.

Yeah, I was hardcore. Or stupid. Take your pick! I probably wouldn't have done it anywhere else other than in Madison though. Because University of Wisconsin has such a huge presence in Madison there are tons of students and tons of scooters. I'd usually stick to the major roads and sometimes use the bike lanes on the roads. I wouldn't ride if it was icy, but I'd ride if it was cold. Had a skimask I'd wear under the helmet. (The Razz only hit about 30 mph tops.)

I figured I had better post a pic of our bikes, too. BTW, photobucket seems to be back up and running, at least at the moment.

Nice bikes!

That is very cool that you rode also. And a die hard at that, i have ridden in a lot of weather and some real deluges but never in the snow. Maybe you could buy another some day?

It would be fun. I've thought about if I ended up in a place with a reasonable commute that I'd do it again. My husband might have a heart attack though. :D

I have to admit, it is kinda in my blood. I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee and my dad was an design engineer for Harley-Davidson for many years.

So since I am contemplating moving one of my 5.5g feeder tanks into the biker den I decided to look into new lighting. Right now 1of the feeder tanks sits in front of a window without a light and the other one just has a 30 year old strip light on it. The Coralife mini aqualite T5 fixture is on sale for $49. Its a HO with 2 bulbs so I am thinking it will grow any softie or macro I would want.

That sounds perfect!

Is the one you're looking the same as this one? It's $37 on Amazon with Prime shipping :)

http://www.amazon.com/36013-Mini-Aqualight-Light-Fixture/dp/B003WYY6SI

Yeah, I was hardcore. Or stupid. Take your pick! I probably wouldn't have done it anywhere else other than in Madison though. Because University of Wisconsin has such a huge presence in Madison there are tons of students and tons of scooters. I'd usually stick to the major roads and sometimes use the bike lanes on the roads. I wouldn't ride if it was icy, but I'd ride if it was cold. Had a skimask I'd wear under the helmet. (The Razz only hit about 30 mph tops.)

Nice bikes!

It would be fun. I've thought about if I ended up in a place with a reasonable commute that I'd do it again. My husband might have a heart attack though. :D

I have to admit, it is kinda in my blood. I grew up in a suburb of Milwaukee and my dad was an design engineer for Harley-Davidson for many years.

That sounds perfect!

O my goodness, your dad worked as a design engineer for Harley, that is so cool! No wonder you have it in your blood.

Just because your husband is not into it now does not mean that is a show stopper. My husband was totally against bikes when we met. It took me 20 years but eventually I won him over, taught him to ride and now he is as into it as I am!

Is the one you're looking the same as this one? It's $37 on Amazon with Prime shipping :)

http://www.amazon.com/36013-Mini-Aqualight-Light-Fixture/dp/B003WYY6SI

Yepper, thats the one. Unfortunately I don't have amazon prime.

Yepper, thats the one. Unfortunately I don't have amazon prime.

Even without Prime I wonder if $37+shipping would be cheaper.

I have Prime though. You could PayPal me the cost and your shipping address and I could order it for you if you like. I just have to pay tax so the price would be closer to $40.

Archived