Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

In that last photo, Dawn, are those pink/red mushies or is that your rose petal?

That is the rose petal after a butch job on pruning them back, ha ha! I know, Harley is such a sweetheart. We adore him! We love Adam, Eve, Abraham and KB too!

If they are captive bred and they don't get any scrapes or abrasions they may be alright until they are bought. You are right though, those are not optimum conditions for seahorses.20160131_163505_zps8zlztcg5.jpg

How come the only pics I take are of seahorses, and other fish eating?20160131_163527_zpsbgjaere9.jpg

Sometimes I take pics of them finishing eating! Ha ha!20160130_162351_zpsbvjfm2w5.jpg

And of course the occasional hanging out hitched to something pic. Lets face it, thats about all seahorses do....well except court...and I am not going to take a pic of that! Well actually I might, hee hee!

Move these pics to a new page!
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is the rose petal after a butch job on pruning them back, ha ha! I know, Harley is such a sweetheart. We adore him! We love Adam, Eve, Abraham and KB too!

Move these pics to a new page!

Beautiful!!!! I was a dummy. My rose petal was growing great and then I put in some mexican turbos and boom. They ate it :( i almost cried. That is such a beautiful algae!

Good luck and have fun!

Thanks teeny, we will. We are taking our grandson to the Montetey Bay aquarium to see the tentacle exhibit! He is 6 and he lobes giant squids, ha ha!

Thanks teeny, we will. We are taking our grandson to the Montetey Bay aquarium to see the tentacle exhibit! He is 6 and he lobes giant squids, ha ha!

oh you are going to have an awesome time!

I love that aquarium. I lived in Monterey/Pacific Grove for a year when I was a kid (year before the aquarium), and some of my enduring lifetime memories are of exploring the rocks and tide pools looking at all the aquatic life. That's probably where my love of reefing came from :)

oh you are going to have an awesome time!

I love that aquarium. I lived in Monterey/Pacific Grove for a year when I was a kid (year before the aquarium), and some of my enduring lifetime memories are of exploring the rocks and tide pools looking at all the aquatic life. That's probably where my love of reefing came from :)

Yes, I know we are going to really enjoy ourselves. Maybe I can have a buddy to share my hobby with if my grandson is impacted and inspired?

Beautiful!!!! I was a dummy. My rose petal was growing great and then I put in some mexican turbos and boom. They ate it :( i almost cried. That is such a beautiful algae!

:-(

:-(

I know. My own stupid fault. I didn't think three snails could polish off that much macro algae in one day! They ate a baseball size ball of dictoya I had growing along with a bunch of other stuff. And the rose petal :( They even ate some halimeda! crazy snails. Needless to say, all macros have been moved to my sump AND my macro tank :)

I know. My own stupid fault. I didn't think three snails could polish off that much macro algae in one day! They ate a baseball size ball of dictoya I had growing along with a bunch of other stuff. And the rose petal :( They even ate some halimeda! crazy snails. Needless to say, all macros have been moved to my sump AND my macro tank :)

I would love some turbos because they do such a good job but I can't give up my macros!

I would love some turbos because they do such a good job but I can't give up my macros!

I know. They sure do an amazing job!!! If I hadn't decided on keeping the 12 as a macro tank, I think I would've traded in the turbos at the LFS. I love seeing the macros.

Love those last pics! I feel honored that a TOTM winner has graced my thread with comments ;) I went to a new not so local fish store today in Kennesaw GA and they had a cube with some captive bred erectus, and it had all softies in it, and they had hitching spots and the tank had been modified for them. It was BEAUTIFUL! If I go back I'll have to snag pics. I thought about your tank too!

i want some red macro

I am pretty sure I could get you some!

Congrats Dawn! :D

Ah thanks Mark.

Congrats on NTOTM! Looking forward to many more years of success.

Thanks so much. I doubt I can rival your tank's longevity but I am in this for the long haul, (which is the real reason I did the sump upgrade, I am just getting too old to carry and lift that much water, ha ha,)

Love those last pics! I feel honored that a TOTM winner has graced my thread with comments ;) I went to a new not so local fish store today in Kennesaw GA and they had a cube with some captive bred erectus, and it had all softies in it, and they had hitching spots and the tank had been modified for them. It was BEAUTIFUL! If I go back I'll have to snag pics. I thought about your tank too!

Ah, thanks Lizzie. I would love to see pics if you get a chance.

Hurray! Congrats on being recognized with a Reef Profile! I enjoyed reading it.

Now enjoy your vacation! :)

Thanks Mirya, I feel honored. I just hope nothing heinous happens while we are away! I have taken the time to prepare as best I can so now I just need to go and have fun!

Congratulations on TOTM! Now I can say I knew you back before you were famous :D

Now go enjoy your vacation B)

Ha ha, you are funny teeny! So I am famous now? Thanks, we will enjoy our vacation.

Hopefully the weather is good while you are here! It's sooo cold today and windy. Sounds like you will have a blast with your family.

And congrats again on your TOTM :flower:.

Hopefully the weather is good while you are here! It's sooo cold today and windy. Sounds like you will have a blast with your family.And congrats again on your TOTM :flower:.

My daughter in law says it is monotonously beautiful where they live, (although I think she said they are having some rain lately). I am pretty sure that it is warmer than it is here so I will take it. I am sure we will have a blast as a family. Thanks Gena!

Congratulations!!! So exciting and so well deserved!!! I speak from experience when I say that it is a monumental feat to keep seahorses happy and healthy and manage to have such a beautiful reef tank at the same time. I know how much hard work and dedication you put into keeping those seahorses happy and healthy, so I am thrilled to see your husbandry skills recognized! I love the write-up! You did such a wonderful job detailing your system merger, the sump upgrade, and your feeding routine. This write-up will be so useful for people looking for more information on seahorse tank! Oh, and thank you for the shoutouts. :blush: I texted Eddie (Zia) a couple screen shots of your writeup just now and he said "Awww...very sweet of her. That's nice! Glad to see she got it! She's a bada** pony keeper. Well deserved."

My daughter in law says it is monotonously beautiful where they live, (although I think she said they are having some rain lately). I am pretty sure that it is warmer than it is here so I will take it. I am sure we will have a blast as a family. Thanks Gena!

Monotonously beautiful is a good description of Northern California :lol: Especially with the 5 year drought! Normally we have a pretty heavy rainy season, which isn't so pretty, but it was gorgeous and mild year round for like the last 5 years. This winter we're finally getting quite a bit of rain. So there have definitely been a bunch of gloomy, wet days. But that's a nice change of pace!

Thanks so much. I doubt I can rival your tank's longevity but I am in this for the long haul, (which is the real reason I did the sump upgrade, I am just getting too old to carry and lift that much water, ha ha,)

Longevity wise, with your good husbandry skills you could have a tank that lasts a decade or more!

I hear you on the water. Every time I think of upsizing, I think of carrying water...and then I'm back to appreciating my little tank again :)

Congratulations!!! So exciting and so well deserved!!! I speak from experience when I say that it is a monumental feat to keep seahorses happy and healthy and manage to have such a beautiful reef tank at the same time. I know how much hard work and dedication you put into keeping those seahorses happy and healthy, so I am thrilled to see your husbandry skills recognized! I love the write-up! You did such a wonderful job detailing your system merger, the sump upgrade, and your feeding routine. This write-up will be so useful for people looking for more information on seahorse tank! Oh, and thank you for the shoutouts. :blush: I texted Eddie (Zia) a couple screen shots of your writeup just now and he said "Awww...very sweet of her. That's nice! Glad to see she got it! She's a bada** pony keeper. Well deserved."

Monotonously beautiful is a good description of Northern California :lol: Especially with the 5 year drought! Normally we have a pretty heavy rainy season, which isn't so pretty, but it was gorgeous and mild year round for like the last 5 years. This winter we're finally getting quite a bit of rain. So there have definitely been a bunch of gloomy, wet days. But that's a nice change of pace!

Thanks again Felicia! Like I said in the featured profile thread...you and Eddie showed me that you could have ponies in a reef tank. Before that I had mostly seen seahorses in macro algae tanks and that is pretty too but I can't help loving some coral, especially gorgs which your tank had some awesome ones. Actually your predator tank still does.

Longevity wise, with your good husbandry skills you could have a tank that lasts a decade or more!

I hear you on the water. Every time I think of upsizing, I think of carrying water...and then I'm back to appreciating my little tank again :)

Thanks again Nano sapiens. I think you and I have very similiar philosophy in reef keeping and I expect to keep this tank a long time. Every once in a while I think about putting a 60 cube in its place so I could keep more seahorses but then that is that many more ponies to be monitoring their skin condition and making sure they have enough to eat. Two is a good number.

congrats Dawn! Love the new pics of the pipefish! Tanks looking amazing as always

Thanks again Scott! Yep, had to give Abraham some love. He's a pony of a different color, in a manner of speaking, ha ha!

Archived