inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Sounds like you caught it really early, so I'm optimistic that they'll be ok! Let me know how the neosporin treatment goes.

Well last night did not go as I thought. A dear friend of mine called because their family dog is very sick. I spent the whole evening with her. Its very sad. Boris, the dog is in liver failure. My friend is a hard working single mom who can just barely get by and she spent all she had that was extra just to find out that nothing can be done. Since Boris is only 7 it is especially tragic. Anyway, when I got back home I was emotionally exhausted and so did not apply the neosporin to Eve.

This morning I did apply it after I changed the water in the hospital bucket and added new furan 2. I am not liking what I see with Eve's lesion. It looks somewhat worse to me. She is eating well however and hunts the ghost shrimp down with gusto, so that is a very good sign. Adam's pin marks look better but Adam is more brooding. That happen the last time I treated him also. I will be glad Saturday when he can be moved back into the display tank. I am not sure Eve will be ready, in fact I doubt it very much.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope the ponies do well! Will you be inoculating beneficial bacteria to try and outcompete the bad? Any update on that DSB section of the sump? It might do well with a tiny powerhead in it, if that's the source of the issue..

I hope the ponies do well! Will you be inoculating beneficial bacteria to try and outcompete the bad? Any update on that DSB section of the sump? It might do well with a tiny powerhead in it, if that's the source of the issue..

I will be using a probiotic altenating with seachem stability in the display tank when Adam goes back in. That will help outcompete the bad bacterias.

I never considered a small powerhead but that would probably remedy the problem. I never used the dsb because I ultimately decided I needed the space for macro algae but I really like your idea of a powerhead.

How tragic for your friend :(. Life is so unfair sometimes. You're a great friend for supporting her like that. Especially when your own animals are causing you stress right now. I think you need a :grouphug:

:flower:

How tragic for your friend :(. Life is so unfair sometimes. You're a great friend for supporting her like that. Especially when your own animals are causing you stress right now. I think you need a :grouphug::flower:

Yes, it is true. Life at times can be hard to swallow. Her and I go way back since the early 90s and have seen each other through a lot of stuff. We encourage one another because we share the same faith in the Lord. I couldn't do anything to help Boris but I could cry with her and sit with her. She would do the same for me.

Hopefully my seahorses will get better but even if they don't experiencing loss is part of the human condition.:-(

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's dog. I always hate to hear about people losing pets. I'm glad she has a good friend like you to go and be there for her.

Also sorry to hear that Eve is looking worse. Still sounds like its early though, so I think between the Furan and topical treatment, she should be ok. Just might take a while of treatment. Glad to hear it sounds like Adam is already doing better though!

I am so sorry to hear about your friend's dog. I always hate to hear about people losing pets. I'm glad she has a good friend like you to go and be there for her.

Also sorry to hear that Eve is looking worse. Still sounds like its early though, so I think between the Furan and topical treatment, she should be ok. Just might take a while of treatment. Glad to hear it sounds like Adam is already doing better though!

This morning Eve ate frozen mysis which made me glad. Adam is still not eating anything so I may need to move him sooner than his treatment is done. I made the new water with antibiotics, just waiting for it be closer to the hospital tank temperature. I will check Eve's lesion then and apply more neosporin at that time.

My new shipment of shrimp came yesterday. The supplier apologised because a lot of another variety of shrimp were mixed in and they don't ship well, plus a lot of the ghost shrimp were big. It was disappointing as I had to do multiple WCs with so many dead shrimp plus some of the new shrimp are bigger than what I already had. I will just have to fish through them to pick out the small ones. I understand that seasonally sometimes you get what is available so it is what it is.

This morning Eve ate frozen mysis which made me glad. Adam is still not eating anything so I may need to move him sooner than his treatment is done. I made the new water with antibiotics, just waiting for it be closer to the hospital tank temperature. I will check Eve's lesion then and apply more neosporin at that time.

My new shipment of shrimp came yesterday. The supplier apologised because a lot of another variety of shrimp were mixed in and they don't ship well, plus a lot of the ghost shrimp were big. It was disappointing as I had to do multiple WCs with so many dead shrimp plus some of the new shrimp are bigger than what I already had. I will just have to fish through them to pick out the small ones. I understand that seasonally sometimes you get what is available so it is what it is.

That's great news that she ate frozen mysis! Sounds like she's doing a bit better.

Where do you buy your ghost shrimp from? I forget, are they the freshwater or saltwater version? It definitely does seem pretty seasonal what you get. Hopefully you have enough small ones to pick out. I know picking out particular ghost shrimp with a net is quite the task.

That's great news that she ate frozen mysis! Sounds like she's doing a bit better.

Where do you buy your ghost shrimp from? I forget, are they the freshwater or saltwater version? It definitely does seem pretty seasonal what you get. Hopefully you have enough small ones to pick out. I know picking out particular ghost shrimp with a net is quite the task.

I have Dave get them from a supplier on ebay. They are brackish so I keep their water around .017 sg. They seem to do fine in natural saltwater salinity however because their is a gang of them living in my sump with the macros.

I decided to net a bunch of them, then dump them in a container with a little water and separate the little ones that way. That works pretty good.

Love the vacation photos! We went there in September and absolutely loved it! I need to post my photos from our vacation in my thread:)

Sorry to hear about the horses being sick:(

Love the vacation photos! We went there in September and absolutely loved it! I need to post my photos from our vacation in my thread:)

Sorry to hear about the horses being sick:(

Thanks Jackie, and it certainly is a beautiful place. Thanks for the concern for the seahorses.

Hope the horses are doing ok Dawn.

Thanks Mark, it is going ok. Last night I moved Adam back into the display. His marks are barely noticable and I never would have treated him in the first place if Eve didn't need it. He refused to eat in the hospital tank, so right or wrong I decided that he is better off in the display. He ate well this morning although he keeps looking for Eve, which is sad.

Eve on the other hand is eating heartily, both frozen and live. Her wound looks the same, really no worse or better. I always feel that as long as a sick fish is eating it has a chance, so I am choosing to be oprimistic.

Thanks Mark, it is going ok. Last night I moved Adam back into the display. His marks are barely noticable and I never would have treated him in the first place if Eve didn't need it. He refused to eat in the hospital tank, so right or wrong I decided that he is better off in the display. He ate well this morning although he keeps looking for Eve, which is sad.

Eve on the other hand is eating heartily, both frozen and live. Her wound looks the same, really no worse or better. I always feel that as long as a sick fish is eating it has a chance, so I am choosing to be oprimistic.

I'm going to be optimistic right along with you! Sending lots of healing thoughts for Eve :)

Especially with seahorses. They will lose their appetites fast if they're very sick. If she's eating well, she must be feeling pretty good so it seems like should be ok after the proper treatment. Sounds like Adam is happier back in the display. It does seem there's always a balance with doing proper treatment in a hospital tank versus the stress from moving a fish out of their normal environment. Sounds like you've been doing exactly the right things!

I'm going to be optimistic right along with you! Sending lots of healing thoughts for Eve :)

yes. eating is good

Especially with seahorses. They will lose their appetites fast if they're very sick. If she's eating well, she must be feeling pretty good so it seems like should be ok after the proper treatment. Sounds like Adam is happier back in the display. It does seem there's always a balance with doing proper treatment in a hospital tank versus the stress from moving a fish out of their normal environment. Sounds like you've been doing exactly the right things!

Haven't followed this as much as I should have but I hope everything is doing alright!

Well the ponies are holding their own. Eve is still eating well and her wound looks the same. Today is day 5 of furan 2. I need to decide whether to pursue this treatment further or try triple sulfa? I had better luck with triple sulfa on Adam the last time.

Adam seems distressed that Eve is not with him and I am not liking how he seems restless and unsettled. He's darker in color which usually is an indication of stress. Its disturbing with him either way.

Sorry to hear that Adam is so stressed by everything. Hopefully he'll get a bit more used to being alone and calm down a bit. As long as he seems healthy otherwise and eating, I think you're doing the right thing right now by treating Eve and letting him stay in the display.

Dawn, I'm so sorry to hear about the seahorse problems! I'm glad Eve is eating again but it's just so sad how Adam misses her :(

I know teeny, its heart wrenching. He seems so restless and discontent although his color is lightening up some which is a good sign. He is eating ok althougb not quite with the gusto he usually does.

Eve is a champ and eating with gusto. Her wound looks the same, no worse so I will take it.

Sorry to hear that Adam is so stressed by everything. Hopefully he'll get a bit more used to being alone and calm down a bit. As long as he seems healthy otherwise and eating, I think you're doing the right thing right now by treating Eve and letting him stay in the display.

Yes, its hard to watch. Today a thought came to me that maybe Adam is stressed about more than just Eve missing. He wouldn't come to his food bowl with the peppermint shrimp swarming all over it. Perhaps the peppermints have gotten to a size (they have grown to a monsterous size) that they are stressing the ponies. I am going to catch 3 of them with my diy fish trap and plan to move them to the fuge. That will leave 2 and I will see how it goes with just them in the display. I like some peppermint shrimp as I am pretty sure they would find any mysis that escapes the food bowl and ends up in rock work or macros.

Eve is still eating great but her wound has not changed, so today I switched to triple sulfa. That is the antibiotic that seemed to help Adam last summer. I would have started with it but most seahorse keepers always start with furan 2 so I am relying on others experiences since I still consider myself a novice.

Archived