Cultivated Reef

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Haven't kept Seahorses, but it sounds like they stress out easily...which could explain the weakened immune system and the infections. I wonder if wild Seahorses visit 'cleaning stations' to be rid of parasites, and if so, how often?

Removing the Peppermint Shrimp sounds liike a good idea since they can be pesky, especially when larger sized.

Fingers crossed both Seahorses heal properly.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Haven't kept Seahorses, but it sounds like they stress out easily...which could explain the weakened immune system and the infections. I wonder if wild Seahorses visit 'cleaning stations' to be rid of parasites, and if so, how often?

Removing the Peppermint Shrimp sounds liike a good idea since they can be pesky, especially when larger sized.

Fingers crossed both Seahorses heal properly.

You are right Nano, seahorses do stress easily. That is why it is not recommended to keep them with fast or aggressive fish or with the regular cleaner shrimp. At least in a captive enviroment they don't like cleaners pestering them all the time. Peppermints are on the safe list but there are always exceptions I suppose. I know peppermint shrimp are a type of cleaner but i have never seen them trying to clean the ponies. In fact the caution with peppermints is that they may end up being an expensive shrimp dinner for the seahorses.

I got some other ideas from a friend about adding the antibiotic into the neosporin to make a paste to help Eve's ulcer heal. Seahorses don't have much immunity. I sure appreciate your thoughts along with everyone's concern on here.

My diy fish trap made from a 20 oz pop bottle worked like a charm. In 30 minutes I caught 4 of my peppermint shrimp leaving 1 or 2 in the display. The 4 have been relocated to my fuge where I hope they continue to thrive and spawn and make larvae shrimp for Abraham the pipefish to enjoy.

In other news Eve is still eating pretty well but I am having trouble getting the neosporin to stick to the ulcer. I really wished I had a lfs that had live brine shrimp that I could gut load. She is not wasting energy hunting the ghost shrimp anymore and I think her snick (the sucking motion seahorses use hunting prey) is weakening. It is all very disheartening :-(

Oh no, was hoping you would have good news. Sending strong thoughts to you and Eve!

I know, I wished I had better news to offer as well. I love my seahorse tank but it is very painful when they are sick.

thecoralbeauty

Oh no!

How funny it is that it's called a snick, though, that's adorable! :wub:

I know how frustrating it is that sometimes you feel like there is nothing you can do to care for them. I'm sure if anyone can nurse her back to health, it's you!

Oh no!

How funny it is that it's called a snick, though, that's adorable! :wub:

I know how frustrating it is that sometimes you feel like there is nothing you can do to care for them. I'm sure if anyone can nurse her back to health, it's you!

I know, I love that word 'snick' too. Fusejaw.com is a forum strickly on seahorses and pipefish (which also snick their food) and their catch phrase is 'its all about the snick!' Isn't that adorable?

I am giving it my all Morgan but idk if Eve is gonna make it. Sometimes I think my efforts are just prolonging the inevitable but my conscience wont let me handle it any other way.

When it rains it pours. My SCA 302 skimmer is not making bubbles. I will have to investigate tomorrow since I have a commitment tonight. I just did a WC today and one yesterday so everything should be ok. I still have my prizm pro and that will do for now, (especially with only 1 seahorse in the display) if I can't get the SCA going.

When it rains it pours. My SCA 302 skimmer is not making bubbles. I will have to investigate tomorrow since I have a commitment tonight. I just did a WC today and one yesterday so everything should be ok. I still have my prizm pro and that will do for now, (especially with only 1 seahorse in the display) if I can't get the SCA going.

Check the air intake on that skimmer. A lot of times it can get clogged with salt creep and just suck water.

I feel like I am way too stressed out about your tank lol. I keep checking back hoping that everything will be ok.

Check the air intake on that skimmer. A lot of times it can get clogged with salt creep and just suck water.

I feel like I am way too stressed out about your tank lol. I keep checking back hoping that everything will be ok.

Thanks Tfish, I will look at that first when I check out the skimmer.

O no, I am going to have to rein in some of the drama if I am stressing out the ponies' followers. I never want to lose any fish but the ponies are really special.

oh no Dawn :( I'm sending lots of thoughts your way for Eve and Adam. Especially Eve.

Thanks stella!

Maybe order some live brine shrimp to be mailed to you? Live Aquaria has some.

I should probably look into that.

Sending good thoughts and prayers for Eve! (and your skimmer...) :flower:

Thanks teeny, I appreciate that.

Sorry to hear there isn't better news. Keep thinking positive! I'm hopeful you caught this early enough that Eve isn't too far gone. Will Eve take food from tongs? You could always try holding a live ghost shrimp by the tail with some feeding tongs for her so that she doesn't have to hunt. I also checked and Amazon has several different brands of brine eggs that you could get overnighted to hatch. I'm sending good thoughts your way! I'm really hope Eve will start doing better soon!

Really hoping Eve recovers well - my thoughts are with you and your ponies. :flower:

Thanks Snow, I appreciate it!

Sorry to hear there isn't better news. Keep thinking positive! I'm hopeful you caught this early enough that Eve isn't too far gone. Will Eve take food from tongs? You could always try holding a live ghost shrimp by the tail with some feeding tongs for her so that she doesn't have to hunt. I also checked and Amazon has several different brands of brine eggs that you could get overnighted to hatch. I'm sending good thoughts your way! I'm really hope Eve will start doing better soon!

Thanks Felicia, I have never tried tongs and that is a thought. She still ate pretty well with the frozen food even if her snick was weaker. I actually have decapped eggs in the fridge but raising them to a size that Eve could eat them was not something I was very successful at. Any time I tried I would be doing ok and then the culture would crash and burn, ha ha! With my new sump system and fish room I should probably try again. I did not really want a brine shrimp culture in my upstairs but I knew I would not attend it enough in the basement if nothing else was down there. I have everything I need except phyto to feed them although I think they can live on crushed flakes pretty early on.

Eve is still eating frozen mysis. I keep expecting her to quit but so far so good. I have not checked the ulcer yet because I do not want to upset and perhaps deter her from eating. For that reason I always feed her first. Then I tend to her wound and last I transfer her into new saltwater with fresh antibiotics.

Her ulcer looks no worse, no better. I will take it. In the wild they must sometimes over come injuries, and that without any antibiotics. If I can just keep her eating and continue to change her water every day with fresh antibiotics it seems maybe she could get better.

Hope so! Keep us updated.

I will keep you all updated.

Well the SCA 302 is back in buisness. It turns out that they don't work very well when a gigantic peppermint shrimp is sucked into their intakes! This is good news for the skimmer but sadly bad news for the shrimp, LOL. (I am not devastated as shrimp are a lot cheaper than skimmers).

Finally folks, some positive news. Eve seems stronger and more alert today. She was tracking the ghost shrimp as they swam around her as compared to yesterday when she let one eat out of her food bowl. She ate her breakfast frozen mysis with more enthusiasm and even snicked a live ghost shrimp! Yesterday I had doubled the recommended dose of triple sulfa because I figured what did I have to lose. I am going to continue with that today. I have not checked her ulcer yet but I feel optimistic.

Yesterday I had doubled the recommended dose of triple sulfa because I figured what did I have to lose. I am going to continue with that today. I have not checked her ulcer yet but I feel optimistic.

My fingers are crossed for Eve and Adam! However, I'd advise going back to the label dosage of sulfa. More of a good thing doesn't always equal better. While I don't know much about fish and sulfas, in cats and dogs they can result in some nasty reactions so that I usually limit the dose and length of time I prescribe them for.

My fingers are crossed for Eve and Adam! However, I'd advise going back to the label dosage of sulfa. More of a good thing doesn't always equal better. While I don't know much about fish and sulfas, in cats and dogs they can result in some nasty reactions so that I usually limit the dose and length of time I prescribe them for.

Thank you Mirya, I will do as you advise since I know your training gives you a more accurate knowledge base to make decisions. I am going by my gut and how Eve is responding.

I hope the good news continues.

Me too, Kat. I don't enjoy emotional rollercoasters very much.

Archived