Coral Vue Hydros

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Glad to hear Eve is doing so much better! I've been worried for you, but you've been so on top of treatment that I've been super optimistic. Glad its working!

A video of the seahorse reunion would definitely be fun! :)

Thanks Felicia, but she is not quite out of the woods yet. She went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and I worried that she might start having negative effects if I over used them. So now I just put her in freshly made salt water every day hoping her own immunity will take it from here. If she continues to improve then I can start thinking about her and Adam's reunion.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I changed the bulbs on the tank, finally. Instead of 2 actinic and 2 10k like the fixture came with, I have switched to 1 10k, 1 actinic, 1 coral daylight and 1 colormax. The colormax has more red and in the past I have used magenta or purple. Petco of course did not have any of those so I will try the colormax. I expect the coral will be unaffected but its the macros that I am wondering about. I do like the tanks looks when the blues are on much better this way however.

Also Eve looks the same, no better no worse. I put 3 fresh ghost shrimp in her hospital tank hoping to stimulate her into hunting. She was very interested, thats for sure.

So awesome that she's recovering. I should have tried triple sulfa when my seahorses were sick!

From everything I have read Furan 2 is the first line of defense but it was not effective either time my ponies were sick. However both ponies responded to triple sulfa. I was not really able to get it into them through ingestion, only through the bath method. At any rate I am grateful for it.

Glad to hear that Triple Sulfa works so well. I only tried Furan 2 and topical Biobandage with my seahorses unsuccessfully. Hunting is an awesome sign!

I just bought a brand new box of salt and am almost through it. Where is it all going, i think to myself. Then I added up with Eve's hospital stay how much salt I am using. She gets a fresh 4 and half gallons every day so thats 30+ gallons in addition to the display tank's 21 gallons. Sheez, thats more than 50 gallons a week, no wonder the salt is going down fast! Good thing I had improved my make up water station.

When Eve was at her weakest I noticed that the hungry ghost shrimp would go right into her food bowl while she was eating and help themself to her mysis. Now I am noticing that the ghost shrimp stay as far away from her as possible and try to keep the food bowl between her and them. They know she is stronger now. I can hear her snicks much louder now as well. These are all positive signs! :-)

HarryPotter

Wow, seahorses are amazing. The LFS has them in a mangrove/macro tank that is plumbed into their system and it looks so natural with all of the natural hitch places

1F20C8BA-6CC2-422F-A44E-6D7F7B462EDC_zps

Wow, seahorses are amazing. The LFS has them in a mangrove/macro tank that is plumbed into their system and it looks so natural with all of the natural hitch places1F20C8BA-6CC2-422F-A44E-6D7F7B462EDC_zps

Thanks Harry, that is a cool pic and does look very natural. I do feel some concern about the seahorse's tank being plumbed into your lfs main system however. Those ponies will be exposed to the parasites that the fish are carrying and also it is very doubtful that the main systems temperatures are low enough to inhibit pathogenic bacterias. Many lfs do not even fully understand the special requirements to maximize long term success with seahorses. Even the one I worked for(when I worked there) did not and they were an extremely conscientious lfs.

Eve did not eat as well today. I am hoping its nothing but of course I am concerned. Nothing to do but see what tomorrow brings.

Hopefully she was just having an off day! I'm sending her good vibes!

Thanks Felicia. Actually when I went to turn off her light and tuck her in last night I saw she finished off her mysis and produced a nice big poop so I felt better after I saw that.

Thanks Felicia. Actually when I went to turn off her light and tuck her in last night I saw she finished off her mysis and produced a nice big poop so I felt better after I saw that.

Gotta love that we get excited about fish pooping! :lol: Sounds like she was just being a bit difficult yesterday. She's got to keep you on your toes!

Gotta love that we get excited about fish pooping! :lol: Sounds like she was just being a bit difficult yesterday. She's got to keep you on your toes!

Yes, that must be it. After all, the seahorses can't have their care taker getting complacent!

Today I did a deep clean on the display. Some algae had started to get ahead of me and the front glass definitely needed some serious scrubbing. I was nervous doing a deep clean because both ponies got their infections after one. So I did about a 15 gallon WC right after in hopes of diluting any bacterial beds that I may have stirred up. The tank looks way better even with cloudy water!

I forget, you run a UV sterilizer right? I always wondered how much those actually help. I think honestly, just going the regular water changes is the best way to combat bacteria.

I forget, you run a UV sterilizer right? I always wondered how much those actually help. I think honestly, just going the regular water changes is the best way to combat bacteria.

I did run a UV. It stopped working when I moved the sump downstairs after I had already plumbed it into the line with the chiller. So its there but not even plugged in. I would have considered replacing it right away but its older and configured slightly different than the newer ones, go figure. I talked to enough seahorse folks to hear that most do not run a UV so I decided not to worry about it.

I did run a UV. It stopped working when I moved the sump downstairs after I had already plumbed it into the line with the chiller. So its there but not even plugged in. I would have considered replacing it right away but its older and configured slightly different than the newer ones, go figure. I talked to enough seahorse folks to hear that most do not run a UV so I decided not to worry about it.

Yeah I debated one on my seahorse tank and didn't see enough info to show that they're really all that helpful. I think you're probably right not to replace your old one.

Well, I am thinking today I will move Eve into the display when the lights come on. I am worrying more about Adam than Eve at this point. He is still very restless and is too distracted to eat well. As a result he has lost a little weight. I don't think its dangerous yet but i am thinking Eve is progressed in her healing enough to be ok in the display. This morning i will do another WC and turn the temperature down to 68-70°F to inhibit bacteria. I hope i am not making a mistake.

Good luck Dawn, hope all goes well!

Thanks Mark, me too!

Hoping for a healthy, happy teunion! Share pics!

Thanks Newstead, i will have my video ready!

20160315_125017_zpsydtidkej.jpg

Eve knows she is in the display and she is so excited. Instead of being hitched she keeps swimming at the top of the bag. I do not think Adam knows that she is near. If a seahorse could smile she would be from fin to fin!

Best wishes to that sweet couple. I hope all goes well :).

Sending wishes for a happy and healthy reunion, Dawn!

Thanks Gena and stella, i am hoping for the best for my ponies!

I went to a lfs that is kind of far away to buy live brine shrimp to gut load with furan 2. While i was therebi picked up some smaller peppermints to put in the display as well as 2 astrea and 1 trochus snail.

Archived