inTank Media Baskets

Dawn's seahorse garden. Farewell 36g bowfront!

vlangel

Finally, the ponies were not dancing when i turned the moonlight LEDs on this morning. I went to my local club meeting last night and brought them home some live brine shrimp. I enriched it with some probiotic and flake food. They are happily chowing down.

Ok folks, this video is a bit explicit so watch at your own discretion. You will get an up close and personal view of seahorses sporting with one another!

I will bring this courtship video to the next page.
  • Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I took a shower while the return pump was off so the ponies could feed on brine shrimp. Unfortunately when i finished, they are now back into courting mode! Man, i realized they missed each other but really!!! Don't they know they have to eat?

Bow chicka bow wow!

Ha ha, i warned ya that it was explicit! He had that pouch so poofed up and open i could almost see in it!

Doin' the jiggy I see. Need to have that as the background song.

Or Barry White.

Barry White or Rod Stewart if you are a rocker. I could almost hear him, Tonight's the Night.

I was hearing Let's Spend the Night Together, now I need you more than ever ... old hippie Stones fan, can't help it.

Yea, that would be good mood music too! Not that Adam requires mood music.

Judging by Adam's expanded pouch and Eve looking somewhat trimmer, i think an egg exchange took place although i missed it. It does not seemed to have cooled Adam's ardor yet however. He insists on being hitched next to Eve and tries to hold tails if she is willing. She is looking well with her spot slowly fading.

Judging by Adam's expanded pouch and Eve looking somewhat trimmer, i think an egg exchange took place although i missed it. It does not seemed to have cooled Adam's ardor yet however. He insists on being hitched next to Eve and tries to hold tails if she is willing. She is looking well with her spot slowly fading.

Wonderful!!!! That courting video is amazing :wub:.

I am very disgusted at my SCA 302 skimmer right now as i just went down to find the 2nd pump has crapped out in only 14 months. I barely ever turn it off and on after the 1st one died. What kind of pump only lasts 7 months? I think this time i will write to the company and tell them i am not happy. At least i have my faithful Prizm pro skimmer to take over.

Very nice courtship dance, like underwater horsey-swans :)

I never thought of that but you are right!

I did a little research tonight and it looks like a sicce PSK 600 will fit my skimmer. Its about $104 but i do like the way the SCA 302 skims so that is probably my best option at this point.

jedimasterben

Be sure to put a ball valve after the Sicce pump output so that you can find tune it, the Sicce is much stronger than the Atman pump. :)

Ahhh, loving your thread! Lots of good "action"

Ha ha, i guess that means you watched the courtship video! So much "action" that i think he's expecting.

Be sure to put a ball valve after the Sicce pump output so that you can find tune it, the Sicce is much stronger than the Atman pump. :)

The pump fits in the body of the skimmer so how do i put a ball valve in there?

jedimasterben

The pump fits in the body of the skimmer so how do i put a ball valve in there?

Oh. Derp. Good question! :lol:

I don't think there is a way, dang. Just don't want you to overload the skimmer body, it will make it really touchy, overflow at the drop of a hat (or a sharper than normal increase in DOC), and will skim pretty wet. :/

I guess if others have done the same, getting the same model pump as they did should yield similar results :)

What fun videos! I never got to witness the mating/courtship part of seahorses since all of mine were female. I love seeing your videos of the seahorses acting so happy and healthy! Glad they're reunited. I assume Eve's ulcer is still looking better? Too funny that Adam can't even eat because he's too distracted! :lol:

I am very disgusted at my SCA 302 skimmer right now as i just went down to find the 2nd pump has crapped out in only 14 months. I barely ever turn it off and on after the 1st one died. What kind of pump only lasts 7 months? I think this time i will write to the company and tell them i am not happy. At least i have my faithful Prizm pro skimmer to take over.

Bummer! I had the SCA-301 for quite a while and never had any major issues with the pump, but I always felt like it wasn't the best of quality. I've definitely noticed a huge difference in quality with the pump on my current Reef Octopus skimmer. I definitely think buying a nicer pump that fits would be a good plan, but you should definitely let SCA know that you aren't pleased! The SCA is identical to the Bubble Magus, I believe. What pump does the equivalent size Bubble Magus use, because I would guess that would fit your SCA body and be an appropriate power.

So here's someone saying the Bubble Magus pump might fit the SCA, but they're not sure...sounds like a bit of a risk...I'll see if I can find conformation of it fitting.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551759

And then you can easily buy that pump from Premium Aquatics. I would guess its better quality since Bubble Magus is supposed to be a step up from SCA. You could always call Premium Aquatics and see if they know if it fits in the SCA.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bubble-magus-sp2000-skimmer-pump-replacement-curve-7.html

I missed so much!! Love the new video!!!

Its ok stella, thats how i feel when i visit your thread too. I am like, "wow,when did that happen!" I should have clipped the beginning portion of the video because the ponies are just sitting there and kaboom, he starts putting the moves on her! Ha ha!

Oh. Derp. Good question! :lol:

I don't think there is a way, dang. Just don't want you to overload the skimmer body, it will make it really touchy, overflow at the drop of a hat (or a sharper than normal increase in DOC), and will skim pretty wet. :/

I guess if others have done the same, getting the same model pump as they did should yield similar results :)

It was a RC thread that i read. The first poster was going to use the 1000 and a couple other posters jumped in and said no, use the 600. It sounded like they actually had done it. One person said he was real pleased with the performance. It was a 2012 thread so i hope everything is still the same.

I am not too worried about stripping the nutrients since i think i am already doing that with my almost 50% WCs per week. I don't have any sensitive coral anyway. In my tank coral are an adornment to the seahorses. I also could run the skimmer just half the time. I do hate it when the skimmer overflows into the sump.

What fun videos! I never got to witness the mating/courtship part of seahorses since all of mine were female. I love seeing your videos of the seahorses acting so happy and healthy! Glad they're reunited. I assume Eve's ulcer is still looking better? Too funny that Adam can't even eat because he's too distracted! :lol:

Bummer! I had the SCA-301 for quite a while and never had any major issues with the pump, but I always felt like it wasn't the best of quality. I've definitely noticed a huge difference in quality with the pump on my current Reef Octopus skimmer. I definitely think buying a nicer pump that fits would be a good plan, but you should definitely let SCA know that you aren't pleased! The SCA is identical to the Bubble Magus, I believe. What pump does the equivalent size Bubble Magus use, because I would guess that would fit your SCA body and be an appropriate power.

So here's someone saying the Bubble Magus pump might fit the SCA, but they're not sure...sounds like a bit of a risk...I'll see if I can find conformation of it fitting.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2551759

And then you can easily buy that pump from Premium Aquatics. I would guess its better quality since Bubble Magus is supposed to be a step up from SCA. You could always call Premium Aquatics and see if they know if it fits in the SCA.

https://premiumaquatics.com/products/bubble-magus-sp2000-skimmer-pump-replacement-curve-7.html

Like you, i actually ordered 2 females because i did not want to deal with fry and i heard females were healthier than males were. I am glad that there was an oversight and i was sent a pair because their courtship is so charming. I feel i would have missed out and they look so happy when they are dancing.

Thanks Felicia, i will look into that as well. There are multiple factors with the pump being inside the skimmer body. Input and output must line up and then like Ben pointed out, if its overpowered it will overflow at the drop of a hat and under powered wouldn't maximize my skimming. I should have done my research to start with. There is a reason this skimmer was 1/3 less money than comparable skimmers and now i know why.

Horray for the sea ponies! :flower: this thread always has something going on :)

How are ya dawn?

Thanks Patrick. Yes, the ponies keep life interesting. I have been well. My hubby and i are planning our big motorcycle adventure for this summer. We will get 5 new states, lD, Nevada, WA, OR and CA in June.

How about yourself? Is all good? I have been peeking in on your tank and it seems like its doing great.

Thanks Patrick. Yes, the ponies keep life interesting. I have been well. My hubby and i are planning our big motorcycle adventure for this summer. We will get 5 new states, lD, Nevada, WA, OR and CA in June.

How about yourself? Is all good? I have been peeking in on your tank and it seems like its doing great.

Yea the tank is ok,kinda on auto pilot of sorts :lol: since I've been fawning over the new chameleon haha.

The motorcycle trip sounds awesome! Alot of my family does the motorcycle riding and love it :)

My gf,myself and my best friend and his wife are in the talks of planning a big boy vacation to Madagascar atm

Yea the tank is ok,kinda on auto pilot of sorts :lol: since I've been fawning over the new chameleon haha.

The motorcycle trip sounds awesome! Alot of my family does the motorcycle riding and love it :)

My gf,myself and my best friend and his wife are in the talks of planning a big boy vacation to Madagascar atm

Madagascar! Wow, that is very cool. How long will you be there? (Be sure to stay on the look out for those crazy penguins, ha ha! And King Louis too!)

Dave and i went to Senegal Africa about 5 or so years ago. It was amazing!

Archived