SaltCritters.com

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

What a beautiful specimen you got there Dave. You'll have to grab a video of it as although the pictures are awesome, I want to see this guy moving in and out of the rocks and eating :)

What all are you planning on feeding it? I know that it's small now (5") but how big do they get in the end?

Happy New Years Eve!!

-Adam

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The day is over! After going in at 5:15 A.M, I am home. :)

Adam - I will try and snag some videos, he is the coolest thing to watch. I have been feeding shrimp for the time being but I may try silversides out too. It comes out and stalks the food, then BAMB! It should only grow around 10-12".

I just received my shorty MR1 reactor for carbon on the new tank. It is going to take me a little longer on the new tank but I have some top secret info on how to make a real AGE tank ;)

When I got home the shrimp had flipped most of the chalices so I had to move some stuff around. I will let the tank clear and then I'll snap some photo's.

-Dave

Thanks for stopping by Tigah!

I was afraid at first that it would hide all the time. Instead it is always watching what is going on and eating like a pig!

I am heading down to Charlotte to goto IKEA and Trader Joe's, once I get home I will post some pictures of the new equipment and the low down on the new tank. Oh and I'm thinking......... frag tank ;)

-Dave

Thanks for stopping by Tigah!

I was afraid at first that it would hide all the time. Instead it is always watching what is going on and eating like a pig!

I am heading down to Charlotte to goto IKEA and Trader Joe's, once I get home I will post some pictures of the new equipment and the low down on the new tank. Oh and I'm thinking......... frag tank ;)

-Dave

OHHHH YAHHHHHH!!! :D more awesome frags for us.

Thanks guys! I will snap some more picture tomorrow for you all.

Aaron - If you have some good hiding spaces and a rock that that plenty of holes you will be fine.

Bitts - Check tm :)

Weeber - In the future I want to start a small business for building tanks and selling frags.

-Dave

The Upgrade

My goal with the upgrade is to have the most efficient tank and have it look like modern art. I want to try and have this look totally different than you average tank. Something that you would see in a IKEA catalog and say, " I have to have that". The stand will be three sections. The middle stand will hold the tank, a majority of the equipment and will measure 30" ( Long )x 22" ( Width )x 36" ( Height ). This stand will be made from 1" square steel powder coated off white with 1/4" wood panels that will be stained birch. The panels will be connected by 1/2" magnet's for easy maintenance. The sump ( 12x20x12 ) and remote DSB/Mangrove/Macro Algae tank ( 13x20x17 ) will also be stored underneath this middle stand. I will also have my RKL, Ozone equipment, skimmer and Tunze Osmolator in this stand. The left stand will be 18"x15/16"x 25" and will hold the ATO resivior and the dosing pumps with CA and ALK 2-part. The right stand will be the same dimensions as the left but hold a small and shallow frag tank ( 18x15x8 ). Lighting will be attached to a floating shelf above holding my nerdy fish books.

Tanks

The main tank will be all DIY. I am going to use the same method that A.G.E uses for there amazing builds. The bottom will be made from grey 1" Type 1 PVC board. This will be rabbet routed around the edges to assure a strong bond. The edges will have the "secret" sealant and I will be using using GE SCS 1200 silicon for the bonding. The glass will be 1/2" low iron flat iron polished. Dimensions are 30"x22"x18". The overflow will use the "Herbie" silent method with 1" drains and the return will be 1/2" over the overflow with lockline powered by a Eheim 1250. Oh and rimless!

The frag tank will be as simple as possible rimless, acrylic, shallow. This will be plumbed in with the main system. Nothing much to say about it.

Equipment

This tank will only use very efficient gear. MP20 and MP10 will circulate the main tank and a Tunze 6025 for the frag tank. I will keep my iTech 100, Tunze Osmolater, RKL, Eheim 1250 and Sunpower fixture. I will be adding a DIY pendant for the frag tank that will use 12 3w CREE LED's with 60 degree optics. The only lighting I will add for the main tank is four Powerbrites. I have picked up two dosers that will be powered by my RKL. The biggest change is the use of Ozone. I want this tank to be to be CRYSTAL clear, almost fake looking.

The ozone will be set up as followed...

Corallife Luft Pump->BRS Air Dryer->Sanders 25mg/hr->DIY Ozone Reactor->MR1 Shorty media reactor. This will be retuned back to the the refugium. The ORP will be monitored by my RKL and will turned on and off accordingly.

Fuge

Like I said above, its all about being different and efficient ;) I want this fuge to be just as active and focused on as the main tank. The sand bed will be 5-6", 4-5 mangroves along the back side and various macro algae's in the tank. I few small pieces of live rock will be thrown in there and my goby shrimp pair will be in here. I plan on finding a pair of Bangaii cardinals and breeding them in this tank. If I am successful I will put a urchin in there for the babies. This will be lit by either two 18" T5's or another DIY LED set up.

Livestock

Its all about being small :) Gobies, Red Spot Cardinals, Dwarf Moray Eel, Bangaii Cardinals, Grade B Clown and small inverts. I want every acro to have an acro crab too.

Well I hope I did not bore you to much. I cant tell you HOW excited I am about this build, while it may take me a little longer than expected it will be just to my standards. If you have any questions or suggestions, shoot away!

Here's a few teasers....

Ozone

IMG_4126-vi.jpg

MR1 Shorty

IMG_4129-vi.jpg

PVC

IMG_4130-vi.jpg

-Dave

Thanks cosmo. Keep up the good work on the two tanks.

Spanko - Thanks! I'm sure a few small things will change but nothing much. I'll just transform this current thread into the new one. I am picking up a majority of the DIY ozone reactor stuff next week to start on that.

I am going to snap some pictures of the eel today and even try to get it eating for you guys.

-Dave

Weeber - In the future I want to start a small business for building tanks and selling frags.

-Dave

yay omgomgomg

And are u going to keep the build on this thread or start another?

Looks like a rock solid plan to me Dave. Really looking forward to seeing it come to fruition for you.

By the way, I like the teaser, more artsy fartsy shots that you just posted :)

Your are going to really love that Herbie overflow if you have never used one before. It literally defines "Silent Overflow" - even the sump entry is silent.

My 40br (in sig) used that method and it worked flawlessly. Just make sure you incorporate the AUX drain.

Thanks everyone. I will make sure to show all my progress on the build. I had to charge my camera's battery so I wont have pictures until tomorrow. Sorry all!

-Dave

dave

what happened to the dow 795. any new info that made you switch.

off to check the other thread.

bitts - Let just say a little bird gave me a few clues.....

Well the eel has been doing great but has been in hiding all of today. I dont have any new pictures yet, sorry guys! Instead I took some fun photos and found my inner chi ;)

Chalice Paradise

IMG_4081-vi.jpg

Bonsai

IMG_4178-vi.jpg

Fun Photo

IMG_4185-vi.jpg

Artsy Fartsy

IMG_4195-vi.jpg

FTS

IMG_4163-vi.jpg

Hope you enjoy!

-Dave