Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

So I have been LOOKING and looking for a small Flame Angel. I wanted it to be around 1 1/2" and over on the east coast they are much harder to find that size.

Well I got one! Its perfect and it eating frozen brine and mysis. :D

Here's a picture I snapped before I left to work...

IMG_3818-vi.jpg

-Dave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the new pictures. I watched the tank around an hour today and he only nipped once or twice on a cap and superman. Other than that it is eating brine/mysis combo.

This fish is STUNNING. Its only a flame but I cant believe how vibrant it is. The pictures I shot are not PS only cropped. The War Coral and lords are very bright red and the flame puts that to shame! Next stop BANDIT angel ;)

FA1-vi.jpg

FA2-vi.jpg

FA3-vi.jpg

fa4-vi.jpg

FA5-vi.jpg

-Dave

Thanks david! She has been eating very well but has been nipping on my Monti's....

I am not sure if it thinks its food because of the red/pink polyps?

I'll give it a few more days, if it keeps nipping bad it may have to go :(

I am also looking into getting a golden dwarf moray eel again. Prices have gone down!

-Dave

Thanks david! She has been eating very well but has been nipping on my Monti's....

I am not sure if it thinks its food because of the red/pink polyps?

I'll give it a few more days, if it keeps nipping bad it may have to go :(

I am also looking into getting a golden dwarf moray eel again. Prices have gone down!

-Dave

I want one BAD!!! :wub:

Well after countless hours and thinking over and over I am re-thinking my new tank. I've posted up numerous idea's and plans for the new tank but I've been doing it for the wrong reason. I'm tired of trying new things out and wanting to impress people. I've veered away from what first drew me to this hobby. Corals/fish that I like!

Coral trends - I admit, I fell into the trap. I was ohhhing and ahhhing over the LE corals and something named after a mystical fairy princess ;) I miss some of the corals that I really like. Simple Acros, Montis, efflos and some assorted LPS. I'm tired of worrying for countless hours if this coral is going to be ok because I have this in the tank. So I'm going back to the basic's, corals I LIKE!

Fish - I was getting brain washed drooling over all these rare Angels and Butterfly's. While most are AMAZING I just dont have the time like others do. Feeding 3-4 times a day, QT with multiple pesticides and doing 2-3 water changes a week and most of all thinking how long my $400-600 will live! I love Anthias, Gobies, Cardinals, Clowns and most of all, the Golden Dwarf Moray Eel. Maybe one day I will be able to afford a $1000 1" fish that MAY and MAY not nip at my corals. Needless to say this new Flame angel is stunning, but I hate thinking that my corals are getting nipped here and there. If its making the polyp extension go away that stresses me out.

So all in all I'm going back to the basics to what I love, MY reef tank. I will take back the Flame to my LFS unless the next few days it stops nipping my montis so much. Nano - Paul off the forums will be helping me build my new tank so thats really cool of him. Here is the break down on the new tank. I may make this tank BB but still undecided.

The Tank

30x22x20 - 1" PVC Bottom, 3/8" Low Iron Glass, Rimless, Internal Corner Overflow

Sump - DIY Acrylic 15x21x16 1/2" Acrylic from a local. Spots to hold my ORP Probe and Temp Probe

Stand - 1" Cold Rolled Steel. I am still deciding on powder coating or making a shell

ReefKeeper Lite w/ SL1 - Going to use this with a ORP Probe to run ozone

iTech 100 Skimmer - Its my baby and I love it :D

Sunpower 24" 6 bulb

Eheim 1250 - Return Pump

Vortech MP40w

300 Viaclear Titanium heater

Sanders 25mg/hr Ozone unit

Coral Life Luft Pump - Pump air into the Sanders

Air Dryer

Carbon reactor for excess ozone with mini-jet 400

BRS Eco-Saver Rock - I may use a couple pieces from my tank but I am tired of aptasia!

BRS Drews Doser - For 2 part

Coral - Only my fovorites

Assorted Acros - Pink Lemonade, Purple Bonzai, Purple Tip Nana, Ice Fire, Ice Tort, Oregon Tort, Skittle Gransula, Blue tip, Stag or two

Efflos - Purple Tip, Blue Tip

Birdsnest - Tubs and Pink

Montis - Sunset, Superman, Pink cap, Blue polyp, Undata

Favia - Babys Breath, War Coral, Raptor Peace

Zoas - Tubs and Jokers/PPE

Scolli - one or two?

Micros/Lords - Red, UFO and some other type

Dendro ( I cant help it ;) )

Livestock

Grade B Clowns

Red Spot Cardinals

Banded Shrimp Goby

Multiple Trimmas

Sharknose Goby pair

Golden Dwarf Moray Eel - My favorite fish besides gobies

Acro Crabs - I honestly want to get one per coral

Sorry for my rant, this is like a blog for me :) I hope to make this tank a gem. Very simple and hands off yet JUST to my standards.

-Dave

David - I know. They are pretty amazing. Size of a pencil ;)

-Dave

Thanks Dhaut! I have enough stuff to stress about in my life without a tank. So why have a tank that I stress about all the time! Also keep up the good work on your little tank!

With the new tank I will only use MB7, Arctic Pods, Roti-Feast, Oyster Feast and PE Mysis.

-Dave

Tis always amazing to me how much a "calming" hobby like aquarium keeping ends up in the amount of stress that it can and does. I too have gotten to the point that you have reached, what the heck am I doing not marveling over the beauty that can be seen. I have an African Flameback Angel in my tank. He has nipped at a Porites rock numerous times but has left everything else alone. I keep an algae sheet in the tank and he loves this. I also feed the tank heavily, dosing Vodka - Prodibio - and amino acids to keep nitrates down. I am hoping that keeping him full will help to keep him from nipping.

I enjoy where my tank is now and will let this fish do what it does, because he is a great addition. If things change then will deal with them then but I am sure there is some combination of coral and this fish that will work out in the end.

You can take a look at mine here if you wish.

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=168687

Deleted User 6
Talk about fate. I may have located a 5" golden dwarf...

Awesome - I've always loved golden dwarfs. I'm hoping you have a great experience with one so that I can pick your brain on what they need to thrive :)

Spanko - I know how you feel. This fish is amazing looking and does not pay any attention to my clam, LPS or acros but it has a thing for montis so far. I've been feeding it a ton too and it eats everything in sight.

Well it looks like its a go! :D Its so small that it can only eat PE Mysis!

I'll make sure to post a TON of pictures.

-Dave

Love the flame, they've always been on my list but have never tried one for fear of nipping on clam mantles/corals. Hope yours turns out to be a good citizen :)

Thats too bad about the nipping, he's a beauty for sure. In a bigger tank with lots of corals, the flameback's nipping may be inconsequential.

I agree 100% this is your hobby, do what feels right to you.

Thanks Sushi.

So far so good on all LPS and clams. Just a taste for montis but I am giving her a chance. I really cant tell you how amazing it looks! Looks like I will have the eel the 29th or 30th of this month!

I hope that my girlfriend gets me something reef related like a RO/DI unit for Christmas!

-Dave

Uhuru - I know! Hopefully with feedings it will stop. If it keeps nipping those three it may have to go :(

Well I took him back and got some Reef Nutrition food in place. It wasn't to hard to get him out and ended up changing the right rock a little too. I really like how it looks now!

I'll make sure to take extra pictures of the eel when it comes in!

-Dave

Deleted User 6

Woohoo! Your newfound passion is pretty infectious, lol. I'm excited about what's coming for your tank.

(btw, where'd you get the eel? Think they'd be ok in a 20g?)

DHaut - directly from HW. I'll shoot you a link in PM.

Well we have 6 inches of snow and its time for drunk sledding! Count it owwwwww! :D

-Dave

bluenassarius
Blue - Hmmmm. I'm in NC. I am looking for a tiny/small one. 1"-1-1/2".

Think you could help me out!

-Dave

dave

i haven't seem em that small before. the typical size is like 3-4" i've seen

Deleted User 6
DHaut - directly from HW. I'll shoot you a link in PM.

Well we have 6 inches of snow and its time for drunk sledding! Count it owwwwww! :D

-Dave

Thanks man. Enjoy that sleddin'

Thanks david.

Its crazy how much it snowed here. Time for a lazy day and watching the tank!

-Dave

I :wub: snow!!!

But... I also :wub: those lazy days you speak of as well!!!

B)

Well after countless hours and thinking over and over I am re-thinking my new tank. I've posted up numerous idea's and plans for the new tank but I've been doing it for the wrong reason. I'm tired of trying new things out and wanting to impress people. I've veered away from what first drew me to this hobby. Corals/fish that I like!

Sorry not catching up on the thread sooner Dave. I think we all go through these "stages" in the hobby. I know when I first started, I was so happy just having 2 clowns, some Zoas and Palys, and my big Frogspawn. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE keeping SPS and probably will always keep them, but you hit the nail on the head...it just becomes a drag chasing the latest and greatest.

The size of nanos is definitely a blessing and a curse. Blessing because they are small, easier to manage, and the size limitations restrict going crazy and adding tons of things. The curse is that they are small and you can only keep a select variety of fish ;)

Like you said, get back to what you like and spend more time just enjoying what's in there. I know that I'm often guilty of this...I spend so much time worrying about this or that being out of whack and not enough time staring at what I've created.

Just put the order in for the GDM!

Will be here on 12/30!

-Dave

Awesome!!! You'll have to PM me the link sometime so I can't start reading about these guys. I've seen pictures and video of them in the past and they are stunning to say the least.

It was good briefly chatting with you on the phone Friday. You've got my number any time you want to talk reefing.

-Adam

Archived