inTank Media Baskets

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

I am down to one.

I am going to get a few more after the holidays. I now know what they need. I honestly think I could keep a schaol of 10-15 no problem.

-Dave

I just picked up 7 of them. My LFS (phishy business) had them for 3 weeks to make sure they were doing fine. They are not going in my mini but in my 150 along with 10 blue eye cards.... well, if they survive that is. For now they are going in a 20L so it's easier to keep an eye on them. Really sweet looking fish though. Any tips would be appreciated. I'm planning to start them on cyclopleeze, may set up an auto feeder and use the freeze dried variety.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Uruhu - Start with frozen/dried cyclo. Once they mow that down for a few weeks add frozen brine and mixed dried food. After that just switch it over to dried flakes or pellets. I like to feed mine in the dark because that is when they go into "hunting" mode. I feed Spectrum pellets every morning and then Arctic Pods at night. When I feed during the day I do a mysis/brine mix. Feed a TON and have plenty of flow. Two weeks in and you will be good to go!

Side note I have a really good plan for the DIY Ozone reactor. I will be making it JUST like this but 12-13" height.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry296098

I have been finding some great deals on RC for used stuff. Shorty Media reactor and I just picked up two dosing pumps. So I am getting there with the new tank!

-Dave

Uruhu - Start with frozen/dried cyclo. Once they mow that down for a few weeks add frozen brine and mixed dried food. After that just switch it over to dried flakes or pellets. I like to feed mine in the dark because that is when they go into "hunting" mode. I feed Spectrum pellets every morning and then Arctic Pods at night. When I feed during the day I do a mysis/brine mix. Feed a TON and have plenty of flow. Two weeks in and you will be good to go!

Side note I have a really good plan for the DIY Ozone reactor. I will be making it JUST like this but 12-13" height.

http://www.wamas.org/forums/index.php?show...mp;#entry296098

I have been finding some great deals on RC for used stuff. Shorty Media reactor and I just picked up two dosing pumps. So I am getting there with the new tank!

-Dave

Ok thanks for the advice Dave. I have fed them 4 x's already. 1st couple times with frozen cyclopleeze, they loved it. 3rd and 4th times with freeze dried cyclopleeze. Took them a little longer to catch on to that but they started eating it too! I will follow your advice and continue with this and slowly switch them over to spectrum pellets. So you feed twice a day? That is enough for them huh?

That is a sweet ozone reactor. Looks a lot like the MTC one which costs $350. If you can DIY one that would kick ass man. The aquamedic also works on a pressurized concept but would be nowhere near as effective as that. I mean you could even use that for some algae/pathogen control. Nice.

So far it is enough. I just called my LFS to see if they are putting an order through so I can buy some more. The most effective food by far is the Arctic pods, they will just MOW through them.

The reactor looks bad ass! Here's the cost's....

3" OD Cast Acrylic Tube/ 13" Height - 26.45

SS Gauge 0-15 PSI - 30

Four Fittings/ 2 1/4" for Ozone inlet one for outlet for excess ozone/ 2 1/2" for inlet for water and outlet - 20$

3/8" Cast acrylic for base and top - Left over

Biobale - No clue on price

Ozone safe gasket/ oring - $2-3

I think this will be the most effective way with my 25 mg/hr.

If this turns out well, I can build one for your 150g :) Snap a picture of your new fish!

-Dave

Amazon has it for 8$ a gallon.

Try all the RT products out. They are awesome!

Does your relief valve ( the excess ozone port ) get water in it?

-Dave

animalmaster6
Red Spot cardinals.

Also I need NR help! I am on RC for nTOTM. I need votes!

Thanks guys!

-Dave

thanks for replying so fast! REd Spot Cardinals are really cool!

I would vote for you but I don't really like RC so I'm not on it.

animalmaster6
Red Spot cardinals.

Also I need NR help! I am on RC for nTOTM. I need votes!

Thanks guys!

-Dave

thanks for replying so fast! REd Spot Cardinals are really cool!

I would vote for you but I don't really like RC so I'm not on it.

Amazon has it for 8$ a gallon.

Try all the RT products out. They are awesome!

Does your relief valve ( the excess ozone port ) get water in it?

-Dave

Sometimes yeah water can make it up there and even into the air carbon filter, but I keep it all above the sump so it just spills into there. I don't understand pressure dynamics very well but it seems to build up to a certain point and then it "blows out" LOL. Usually just air but sometimes with water too. Most of the time the reactor is only half full of water.

Ok cool. Yea this pressure thing is tripping me out too. I think I will test the ozone out on a smaller tank to hone in on the pressure and everything. I dont want anything to take off ;)

I will be picking up the eel tm morning! I'll post pictures :D

-Dave

animalmaster6
Ok cool. Yea this pressure thing is tripping me out too. I think I will test the ozone out on a smaller tank to hone in on the pressure and everything. I dont want anything to take off ;)

I will be picking up the eel tm morning! I'll post pictures :D

-Dave

lol! I didn't know you were getting an eel! What kind?

I can't wait for pics!

I know!

I hate rednecks that say " Hey I got that them there eel that is in my tank. Its just sweet and it eat everything I put in"..... lol

I figure this will will be something different for a reef. I got a KILLER price on it.

-Dave

Uhuru - What type of tubing did you use for your ozone? Silicon?

From ozone generator to ozone reactor I use stiff tubing, I don't know the material but it is red and sold at Premium Aquatics as ozone safe tubing. For all the other airline connections I use silicone. For all the water tubing I use silicone too.

Archived