Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Daves Shallow SPS 35g

DaveFason

VERY nice first shots Dave. You've definitely put yourself on a steep learning curve with learning the ins and outs of a DSLR AND a macro lens. Looks like your head on shots are very nice though. I just sent you a PM so check it when you get the chance.

Let me know you need any pointers, tips, or tricks with the DRebel. I started out with the camera and it's still my backup on photo shoots now.

-Adam

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Rev, Adam and cosmo.

I am going to snap some more today. This camera is SO much fun to mess around with. I am going to try and mess around with a few more angels and what not.

Its SO much different than my point and shoot ;)

Check in later!

-Dave

Well I needed a really lazy weekend. I have worked 12-15 hour days last week and needed some time to veg out. I snapped a few pictures and I will only add this one. This one turned out AWESOME :D

The FACE series tank is underway ( I am going to try and start a small side business and build custom tank and stand combos and this will be the first). I ended up adding everything together and with me only being 24 and looking for a house I did not want a tank that would be a pain in the butt to move. So I have this going and is a set in stone.... I am selling the SS stand and have a new steel stand being made and will be finished Dec. 15th. Tank glass has been ordered 13mm low iron, beveled and polished. I will have black silicon and the dimensions will be 30x22x20. This will be the start to a FACE series tank ;)

As for the the aquascape for the new tank that will be up in the air. My girlfriend gave me a really cool print that I look at every morning. I love the picture and I have been thinking of doing some type of aquascaping like it. Shallow rocks, overgrown coral forest, fish swimming through and inverts hiding in the depth of the corals and rock. Hell who knows, I think I could figure something out with 22" of depth to work with!

Any ways here is the picture from today and the print.

Wrasse

fish-vi.jpg

Print

IMG_4115-vi.jpg

-Dave

Militant Jurist

Nice picture and print. :) I'm also rather partial to 'themed' (of sorts) aquascapes. They also can provide all kinds of fodder for a tank thread. ;):lol:

spanko - Thanks for the news. My only concern would be the T5's over powering the LED shimmer.

Jurist - Thanks! I have been really thinking about the new tank. I love my rock work now but the small pests drive me bonkers!

-Dave

Great capture of the Wrasse Dave. Looks like you're quickly getting the hang of things ;)

Glad to hear things are moving along with the FACE series tank. I'm still saving my nickels and dimes so I can maybe have one of the first production versions :)

-Adam

Adam - Thanks man. I am having so much fun snapping photos of everything. It really does take some getting used to. I've just been reading and reading about this stuff. I dont have PS but I downloaded a trial version.

The only other idea I have been thinking for the new tank is a small version of this AMAZING Japanese tank. I just dont like the BB.

http://anagonbe.blog57.fc2.com/page-2.html

Anyways its a cloudy day and I think I may have a lights out day.

-Dave

Quick question for ya Dave. Since you run your tank at a lower temp (72-73), how do you think corals from others tanks, who run them at say 79-80, will do in yours? Might be a stupid question, but thought I would ask since a 5-6 degree change would be pretty big :)

True. I am not sure as I have not bought anything in a while. Hopefully soon!

I dont think it would make a big difference other then the first shock. Hell most of the time when you ship even with heat packs you get them around 75-76 at first.

-Dave

I dont think it would make a big difference other then the first shock. Hell most of the time when you ship even with heat packs you get them around 75-76 at first.

That's what I was thinking as well Dave. Just thought I would see if you thought about it :)

The only other idea I have been thinking for the new tank is a small version of this AMAZING Japanese tank. I just dont like the BB.

http://anagonbe.blog57.fc2.com/page-2.html

Anyways its a cloudy day and I think I may have a lights out day.

-Dave

wOw!!! thanks for the link... that was quite inspiring... makes me wanna get some sticks now.... ;)

looking forward to your next build Dave... I'm sure it'll be another killer set up... :)

Well a few updates. The stand is going to be finished a little early.

Well I just got the quote back from Chris down in TX for a A.G.E tank. While there tanks are stellar, I was quoted 1475 for a 30x22x18. Little steep for my pockets! DIY it is.

The best part is I can use 3/8's on the glass!

I have been researching on doing a DIY PVC bottom tank with glass sides. Looks like a few people have done this and have had great success. The best part is it makes the tank a little cheaper :)

So...

30x22x18

1" Grey PVC Bottom Rabbet routed for 3/8" glass

Low Iron sides

Regular Glass back

Black Silicon

Rimless

I hope that this one turns out great. I will be using DOW 795 for the PVC to Glass part and routing around the edge so the glass fits on a ledge. I hope that I can build smaller tanks with PVC bottoms at a better price.

-Dave

Deleted User 6
takashi_amano_img_1.jpg?w=550&h=275

How about that and the print mixed together....

I think this maybe the winner!

-D

holy crap.

dave, i remember you mentioning a small schooling fish that swims in the open water - red spot cardinal? do you have any info on those?

If you can replicate that in the reefing environment.....Dave = WINS :)

Gotta love the bonsai-inspired freshwater tanks....they are really something.

I have a ton of work to do but when I get off today around 3-4 I will update this thread. I'll give you a few ideas I have for this rock work and ALL the info I have on the cardinals. I know QM has them and I may try another 10-15 again :D

-Dave

Archived